DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2nd drone falls out of the sky. DJI run around.

Trent2020

Reactions
Hello there. So almost two months ago I had a zoom fall out of the sky from a power loss. There was an inconclusive log. After contesting dji refusal on warranty was found to have a faulty battery. Just over two weeks ago the zoom that was replaced ( by their not so next to new refurbished unit) plummeted to the ground in the exact same fashion.. The logs are again non existant and the crash was literally 15 seconds into the flight. I have 8 batteries, non of which are dirty damaged or swollen.i discovered 4 Contacts on the one side are no longer visible. I have been in Contact with dji and have been told to send all of my info. I've do everything this three rides. I've then been told to send the unit in which there is nothing left of as it was demolished after impact however all the pieces I think are there. I'm told I will be issued a shipping label in a couple days. It never comes.then I receive a email that they haven't heard from me I a couple days and are going to close the account. Of course you never heard from me as I was told a shipping label was coming. Another email I sent asking g for info so I send that and pictures of a damaged battery. Again I'm told a shipping label I a couple days . The only thing that comes is the couple days and we're closing the account while I'm already waiting again for the shipping label. It was been over two weeks I've sent copies of all my info (s/n, care refresh which with the battery shouldn't be a question) three times, ivesend photos of the wreckage and battery.ive had this happen twice. These batteries in question where bought at the same time and location maybe indicating that a recall should have been issued.im at my wits end with this company. I have 2 m2p. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them as far as warranty problems and quality.i have a pro I'm flying now that also needs to go to dji as it has a bed camera with dead pixels on it soany that it's a hassle to remove them during post. I've had a zoo. And a pro now both with camera issues and two zooms that have had battery issues. This is since last October I have not had one unit last in excess of two month without failure. I'm an experienced pilot with lots of experience and flight time over the last five years. I spent over 7000 dollars on equipment and I feel has not been worth it. If dji isn't going to honor this then maybe they should give me my money back. Their needs to be a stricter governance on these manufactures after the first free fall something should have been issued warning people or recalling some batteries, something I couldn't even get a understanding that there is an issue. There is more than my occurrence that this is happening to. Dji is putting all the liability on the consumer which isnt right. The first dreadfully literally landed 25 ft from me is it going to take someone getting killed before dji admits and does something about these battery failures. 2 in two month those are pretty good odds that it will happen again. Im Awaiting Djis response. Be warned look for another manufacturer. Also be aware that refurbished units are horrible if you see inside one full of heatshrink and sloppy soldering mine had about a foot of heat shrink in it. Sorry but I've had several emails and run around tactics pulled on me for their issue not mine so I'm a little iratated. Had a recall on a batch number or a proper investigation was completed. Then at least a fix could issued avoiding the second crash. Yet there is nothing. Also is this battery issue has it damaged the Contacts on all of my aircraft? Dji will probably say no but the truth of the matter is probably. Thanks guys just wanted to vent my dji experience and see if their going to chime in.

Reactions: Pilot Adam
Wow that is a lot to take in and I am sorry for DJI experience.

One thing to note is that with the battery problems , that DJI never asks you to send in the Chargers and that is where I feel part of the problem is .

We had to replace two chargers that were simply not working well and it may be those intelligent batteries rely more on the chargers than you might think,

Anyway stay the course with DJI , they do tend to sway so staying on top of them every day is not a bad idea .
Also using the DJI chat service with your Emails can help.

I wish you the best.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water

Are you checking your spam folder? I've never had a problem receiving a shipping label.

Thanks for sharing!

Hello there. So almost two months ago I had a zoom fall out of the sky from a power loss. There was an inconclusive log. After contesting dji refusal on warranty was found to have a faulty battery. Just over two weeks ago the zoom that was replaced ( by their not so next to new refurbished unit) plummeted to the ground in the exact same fashion.. The logs are again non existant and the crash was literally 15 seconds into the flight. I have 8 batteries, non of which are dirty damaged or swollen.i discovered 4 Contacts on the one side are no longer visible. I have been in Contact with dji and have been told to send all of my info. I've do everything this three rides. I've then been told to send the unit in which there is nothing left of as it was demolished after impact however all the pieces I think are there. I'm told I will be issued a shipping label in a couple days. It never comes.then I receive a email that they haven't heard from me I a couple days and are going to close the account. Of course you never heard from me as I was told a shipping label was coming. Another email I sent asking g for info so I send that and pictures of a damaged battery. Again I'm told a shipping label I a couple days . The only thing that comes is the couple days and we're closing the account while I'm already waiting again for the shipping label. It was been over two weeks I've sent copies of all my info (s/n, care refresh which with the battery shouldn't be a question) three times, ivesend photos of the wreckage and battery.ive had this happen twice. These batteries in question where bought at the same time and location maybe indicating that a recall should have been issued.im at my wits end with this company. I have 2 m2p. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them as far as warranty problems and quality.i have a pro I'm flying now that also needs to go to dji as it has a bed camera with dead pixels on it soany that it's a hassle to remove them during post. I've had a zoo. And a pro now both with camera issues and two zooms that have had battery issues. This is since last October I have not had one unit last in excess of two month without failure. I'm an experienced pilot with lots of experience and flight time over the last five years. I spent over 7000 dollars on equipment and I feel has not been worth it. If dji isn't going to honor this then maybe they should give me my money back. Their needs to be a stricter governance on these manufactures after the first free fall something should have been issued warning people or recalling some batteries, something I couldn't even get a understanding that there is an issue. There is more than my occurrence that this is happening to. Dji is putting all the liability on the consumer which isnt right. The first dreadfully literally landed 25 ft from me is it going to take someone getting killed before dji admits and does something about these battery failures. 2 in two month those are pretty good odds that it will happen again. Im Awaiting Djis response. Be warned look for another manufacturer. Also be aware that refurbished units are horrible if you see inside one full of heatshrink and sloppy soldering mine had about a foot of heat shrink in it. Sorry but I've had several emails and run around tactics pulled on me for their issue not mine so I'm a little iratated. Had a recall on a batch number or a proper investigation was completed. Then at least a fix could issued avoiding the second crash. Yet there is nothing. Also is this battery issue has it damaged the Contacts on all of my aircraft? Dji will probably say no but the truth of the matter is probably. Thanks guys just wanted to vent my dji experience and see if their going to chime in.
My eyes are killing me trying to read this run-on verbiage, due to bad formatting of your sentences.

However, I sense that somehow, there is a failure between your communication and DJI in receiving the mailing label. Obviously, I would double check the correct e-mail for them, and speak to an agent directly if possible.

I am writing this because I have nothing but two very good experiences with DJI and two drones. They replaced my crashed Mavic Air (1) with a refurbished model which was shrink wrapped and like new. I sold it with full disclosure to a very happy buyer and never heard back from him with any complaint.

My Mavic 2 Pro was also sent in for repair and I received a refurbished unit which I have been flying now for 2 years without incident.

My point is, I think there is a lack of communication between your side and their side.

Wow that is a lot to take in and I am sorry for DJI experience.

One thing to note is that with the battery problems , that DJI never asks you to send in the Chargers and that is where I feel part of the problem is .

We had to replace two chargers that were simply not working well and it may be those intelligent batteries rely more on the chargers than you might think,

Anyway stay the course with DJI , they do tend to sway so staying on top of them every day is not a bad idea .
Also using the DJI chat service with your Emails can help.

I wish you the best.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water
Thanks.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Wow, all that in a single paragraph.

I too have recently had a bad string of zoom “refresh” units sent to me, beginning in February when I was cycling the stored batteries. I tried to boot the drone, but it came up with a “200” error. I was forced to exercise my first refresh option ( two years in, my first incident). I am now awaiting my 3rd replacement after the first was DOA and the second one fell out of the sky. DJI claimed motor overload on that one.

Hopefully the third time is a charm, but I am beside myself because this has been more than a 3 month adventure, and still not resolved.

I also had same experience with OP regarding shipping label, each time I had to wait at least 4 days, every time because they had the same wrong email address (transposed one letter). That is a hard one to explain, as my profile address is correct.
</SS>

Understandable frustration Trent2020 but Paragraphs! Grammar! Spelling! Nuts! By all means vent but make it a readable vent!

Last edited:
If you need to vent, and want us to read this, then please make the effort to a) format the text, and b) spell check it. This large block is very hard to read. Don't make it hard for us. OK?

Reactions: AZDave
My apologies. Still have had no feedback from Dji. They send a message saying they haven't heard from me in two days. I message back and get a reply that my request is recieved and nothing else. I will never buy another dji product again. Period. Worst company ever. I really hope they ban them in North America.

There has been no worries to the faults of these battery failures. The damage they could do or harm to someone. Transport Canada should step in at this point. Again sorry for my rant, I've got 7500 dollars worth of paper weights so iam very upset. Not one of them has lasted longer than a month all warranty issues. While dji ignores me and just repeats there auto replies. I asked for money back when the first one **** the bed. Now I've lost track of how many. Another is going on the list here soon as it's got this strange whine to it. It's is going to ground it I'm afraid. I'm not sure if it should be flying with that burnt out battery being cycled through it. I can't even get an answer on that one either from dji.
I believe that will be 6 aircrafts in 6 months ish. Wish I would've went with Autel. I hear their customer service is great and they don't microscope there faults to the point of passing the blame to pilot error.

I think I've sent my info aswell as pictures of everything 4 times already.
My suggestion is start buying North American made drones. This sort of behaviour is not acceptable in any culture.

I think I'll have to take some sort of legal approach to this next. Put a bee in transport Canada's bonnet perhaps. These units aren't safe. I realize their not certified for flight over people but 72kmph would fall quite a ways at 400ft.. More then 30 meters. Just be mindful of that. There is no warning it just falls.

My apologies. Still have had no feedback from Dji. They send a message saying they haven't heard from me in two days. I message back and get a reply that my request is recieved and nothing else. I will never buy another dji product again. Period. Worst company ever. I really hope they ban them in North America.

There has been no worries to the faults of these battery failures. The damage they could do or harm to someone. Transport Canada should step in at this point. Again sorry for my rant, I've got 7500 dollars worth of paper weights so iam very upset. Not one of them has lasted longer than a month all warranty issues. While dji ignores me and just repeats there auto replies. I asked for money back when the first one **** the bed. Now I've lost track of how many. Another is going on the list here soon as it's got this strange whine to it. It's is going to ground it I'm afraid. I'm not sure if it should be flying with that burnt out battery being cycled through it. I can't even get an answer on that one either from dji.
I believe that will be 6 aircrafts in 6 months ish. Wish I would've went with Autel. I hear their customer service is great and they don't microscope there faults to the point of passing the blame to pilot error.

I think I've sent my info aswell as pictures of everything 4 times already.
My suggestion is start buying North American made drones. This sort of behaviour is not acceptable in any culture.

I think I'll have to take some sort of legal approach to this next. Put a bee in transport Canada's bonnet perhaps. These units aren't safe. I realize their not certified for flight over people but 72kmph would fall quite a ways at 400ft.. More then 30 meters. Just be mindful of that. There is no warning it just falls.
If this is how you present your problems to us here on this forum, are you perhaps doing the same to DJI support? If so, then they may well be quite confused about your issues.

While I sympathise with your frustration, I cannot help but think that not only is there a huge communication problem but that your frustration or anger is making it worse for them. The people on the support staff at DJI aren't the ones causing your problems with the drones - they are there to help, but they are only human and no doubt not happy to have customers venting their frustration on them.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to prepare a document with a detailed timeline of each event, along with dates and times of each email and phone call you've had with DJI, so that their support people can understand what happened and when it happened. Provide lots of detail to help them understand, and stick to the facts only - no venting.

Try to make it really easy for them to help you. Talking about banning them in N. America, involving the Canadian transport department, and legal action is only going to make the problem worse. Remember that there are many thousands of DJI customers out there who have had good experiences dealing with DJI support, so your problems with them are the exception, not the rule.

Trent I am trying to wrap my brain how you ended up with $7500 worth of paper weights with these amazing drones.

Your first post was hard to take in, and I think you should take a breath and start with your first drone , and what was that and what went wrong and let the Experts on the Forum answer some of your questions rather than DJI , and many can read your flight logs .

We fly these drones all of them, in the Pouring Rain and even float them on Water , and so DJI drones have proven their merit even in the most extreme conditions with a little help and understanding .

So lets start at the beginning : What was the first drone and the issue at hand, try to keep it short so more people will engage with you.

A lot has happened to you : Looking at you last couple messages on the Forum Trent

You said 3 Batteries Caught on Fire

You said that your drone was taken over my another Mavic Controller using equipment not available to consumers

And the last message before this one was that you fly in some extreme cold temps.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Last edited:
I believe that will be 6 aircrafts in 6 months ish.
Please don’t take this as criticism (or a defence of DJI), but 6 failures in 6 months sounds as if it‘s more likely to be something to do with how you operate them rather than the drones themselves. Most owners happily fly their DJI drones for years and the main cause of failures tends to be pilot error. You read a lot of scare stories here about drone failures or unreliability but they represent a tiny percentage of the total number of the drones flying worldwide. There’s a reason why DJI drones are so popular - in the vast majority of cases they work straight out of the box and are well designed and made. To have 6 genuine failures in 6 months has to make you just about the unluckiest drone owner ever!

I agree with maelstrom. You are not only an unlucky drone pilot but may be the most unlucky person ever. I did some quick calculations and concluded that the probability of 6 failed drones in a row is about 66 Million to one or higher. You are more likely to be struck by lightning, die in a plane crash or get eaten by a shark.

Well believe it that's how many warranty claims I've had and continue to have. Yes there are alot of happy customers of dji I'm well aware of that but there are just as many threads on here talking about the oif not more featuring the same issues that I'm talking about. Rather than being a fan boy whos flying on the weekends for an hour so yeah their devices probably do last longer. Maybe do a few searches on some of this issues and you'll see that these are not uncommon issues.

Imagine if you've got kids and you take them flying with you. You come in to land your only doing about 20kmh cause your landing but your still at about 350 ft or 120 meters up. Then you llose power from said battery malfunction and it comes in and cracks your son or daughter on the head possibly killing them or severly injuring them? Now complaints have been made but fanboys such as the ignorant couple of voices here have buried those claims. So if that happens to someone you know. Then you can come on here and tell me the fan boy story. These battery failures with the ground contacts burnt off the battery. Anyone else weight batteries on a mavic 2? I've got one from last august and one from this april, it's 8 grams difference. What about props? I've got descrepencies up to .75 on a few and not one is the same weight nor balanced. Feel the landing gear when your hovering. That vibration is the off balance of these great quality made items. Know what else doesn't like vibration? Everything. These are merely ways to control the lifespan of of dji products. Ever wonder why we can access our flight records anymore ,just the pg-13 version of them which tells you nothing really important? You guessed it, so if something begins to fail or fails dji can tell you whatever they wanna tell you. The customer can't discover a failing part and fix it the fact that this battery failure has happened twice. I even have a heavy duty elastic band wrapped around my battery and the main body of the drone for extra caution

I can't control a motor that burns out or vision sensors that request calibration every other day, I can't control dead pixels a on a gimbal,nor a gimbal that goes limp,or a limp midflight or even the short circuit on a battery that causes a drone to fall from the sky.....twice sure I keep everything clean and protected when it not in use I've even started cleaning my battery contacts with a very soft tooth brush and some rubbing alcohol. If you have a way to avoid these things from happening I'm all ears. When dji sends you a replacement and it has flux and solder smeared all over the board and a half a foot or better of heatshrink on the connections it sort of puts the understanding of why people usually put them up for sale rather than dealing with this is exactly what Iam aiming to do.

Like I said I've been flying for quite sometime and have never have never had his weak of a product. I'm approaching three hundred ish hours of flight and roughly 2000 flights that's I'm the last five years divided by 7 different drones. That's not including my hours from my parrot drones nor my yuneek and with the smart controller I've missed some flights there as well. So in closing I think I can comfortably say that it isn't something I'm doing as I haven't had any trouble with other manufacturers. I believe Autel will be my next. If you want to be a dji fan boy go for it. Like I said I have 7500 dollars of paper weights as they aren't air worthy not sure where the confusion there about beinfmg paperweights but ok. I dunno what I'm supposed to call them. I'm going to get my care refresh. My dealer is going to deal with dji. Then I'm selling them all off and getting as far away from dji as I cant I've read nothing but good reviews of this Autel that is made in the USA which I would much rather suporting. Dji has still not responded nor do I expect them 2.

I'm contacting transport Canada as this as a major issue and if the manufacturer isn't willing to admit and deal with this problem than they need to be governed to do so.

I strongly believe that there should be a law introduced to all manufacturers that all drones must pass the flight over people classification giving back some of the liability to the manufacturer also holding them accountable. Then maybe they will be splurging for that 50 cent piece as compared to the piece for 5 cents. Hence making the end product last longer and being more reliable. I. Not saying flight over people is ever a thing to do I'm just treating it as sort of a reliability baseline for safety and reliability. The verification is fairly involved as there are not alot on that list and it's heavy hitter companies like boeing and and such that are actually leading the industry we just don't hear about it. When were paying for something that costs pennies to the dollar in mark up as from what I've seen inside a mavic 2 there is maybe what two to three dollars there I would expect a balanced prop,batteries within spec, cameras with zero dead,vision sensors that work for longer that a month maybe a tof camera. I also wouldn't be governed by dji on a software level. I'm not encouraging that behavior however it is still my governments job to govern people me not dji.You don't buy a Corvette that bottoms out at 100km. Also there privacy thing needs to get wrapped up as I understand why trump wanted them out of north America they are very sneaky like.

I Also have an original mavic pro and an original airv and a mini 2. Not those devices are bullet proof the 2 older ones are steps way ahead of these new style recycled parts style drone that they sell you now. Even the feel of them is cheap.

Well believe it that's how many warranty claims I've had and continue to have. Yes there are alot of happy customers of dji I'm well aware of that but there are just as many threads on here talking about the oif not more featuring the same issues that I'm talking about. Rather than being a fan boy whos flying on the weekends for an hour so yeah their devices probably do last longer. Maybe do a few searches on some of this issues and you'll see that these are not uncommon issues.

Imagine if you've got kids and you take them flying with you. You come in to land your only doing about 20kmh cause your landing but your still at about 350 ft or 120 meters up. Then you llose power from said battery malfunction and it comes in and cracks your son or daughter on the head possibly killing them or severly injuring them? Now complaints have been made but fanboys such as the ignorant couple of voices here have buried those claims. So if that happens to someone you know. Then you can come on here and tell me the fan boy story. These battery failures with the ground contacts burnt off the battery. Anyone else weight batteries on a mavic 2? I've got one from last august and one from this april, it's 8 grams difference. What about props? I've got descrepencies up to .75 on a few and not one is the same weight nor balanced. Feel the landing gear when your hovering. That vibration is the off balance of these great quality made items. Know what else doesn't like vibration? Everything. These are merely ways to control the lifespan of of dji products. Ever wonder why we can access our flight records anymore ,just the pg-13 version of them which tells you nothing really important? You guessed it, so if something begins to fail or fails dji can tell you whatever they wanna tell you. The customer can't discover a failing part and fix it the fact that this battery failure has happened twice. I even have a heavy duty elastic band wrapped around my battery and the main body of the drone for extra caution

I can't control a motor that burns out or vision sensors that request calibration every other day, I can't control dead pixels a on a gimbal,nor a gimbal that goes limp,or a limp midflight or even the short circuit on a battery that causes a drone to fall from the sky.....twice sure I keep everything clean and protected when it not in use I've even started cleaning my battery contacts with a very soft tooth brush and some rubbing alcohol. If you have a way to avoid these things from happening I'm all ears. When dji sends you a replacement and it has flux and solder smeared all over the board and a half a foot or better of heatshrink on the connections it sort of puts the understanding of why people usually put them up for sale rather than dealing with this is exactly what Iam aiming to do.

Like I said I've been flying for quite sometime and have never have never had his weak of a product. I'm approaching three hundred ish hours of flight and roughly 2000 flights that's I'm the last five years divided by 7 different drones. That's not including my hours from my parrot drones nor my yuneek and with the smart controller I've missed some flights there as well. So in closing I think I can comfortably say that it isn't something I'm doing as I haven't had any trouble with other manufacturers. I believe Autel will be my next. If you want to be a dji fan boy go for it. Like I said I have 7500 dollars of paper weights as they aren't air worthy not sure where the confusion there about beinfmg paperweights but ok. I dunno what I'm supposed to call them. I'm going to get my care refresh. My dealer is going to deal with dji. Then I'm selling them all off and getting as far away from dji as I cant I've read nothing but good reviews of this Autel that is made in the USA which I would much rather suporting. Dji has still not responded nor do I expect them 2.

I'm contacting transport Canada as this as a major issue and if the manufacturer isn't willing to admit and deal with this problem than they need to be governed to do so.

I strongly believe that there should be a law introduced to all manufacturers that all drones must pass the flight over people classification giving back some of the liability to the manufacturer also holding them accountable. Then maybe they will be splurging for that 50 cent piece as compared to the piece for 5 cents. Hence making the end product last longer and being more reliable. I. Not saying flight over people is ever a thing to do I'm just treating it as sort of a reliability baseline for safety and reliability. The verification is fairly involved as there are not alot on that list and it's heavy hitter companies like boeing and and such that are actually leading the industry we just don't hear about it. When were paying for something that costs pennies to the dollar in mark up as from what I've seen inside a mavic 2 there is maybe what two to three dollars there I would expect a balanced prop,batteries within spec, cameras with zero dead,vision sensors that work for longer that a month maybe a tof camera. I also wouldn't be governed by dji on a software level. I'm not encouraging that behavior however it is still my governments job to govern people me not dji.You don't buy a Corvette that bottoms out at 100km. Also there privacy thing needs to get wrapped up as I understand why trump wanted them out of north America they are very sneaky like.

I Also have an original mavic pro and an original airv and a mini 2. Not those devices are bullet proof the 2 older ones are steps way ahead of these new style recycled parts style drone that they sell you now. Even the feel of them is cheap.
Your rants don't convince anyone that 6 failures in six months is strictly a manufacturer problem. I'm not DJI fanboy at all but simple statistics are not in your favor. Best of luck on the Autel boards.

Reactions: Drone Views Media
Your rants don't convince anyone that 6 failures in six months is strictly a manufacturer problem. I'm not DJI fanboy at all but simple statistics are not in your favor. Best of luck on the Autel boards.
I have to agree, the ranting doesn't help. The odds of that many manufacturer defects would be akin to being struck by lightning, but hey, it's possible

Reactions: AZDave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan