DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA "NO DRONES" Sign

I visited St Simons Island, GA yesterday and noticed the attached signs on the town dock. One picture shows the capsized ship "Golden Ray" in the channel off the dock. This car transport ship (holds 7000 cars) capsized last year and is now being sawn in pieces and removed.
If you hop in a rowboat (or other water-borne conveyance of your choice) and go out to sea, hoist the Jolly Roger and declare your independence from the state, then you can fly free like the seabirds. So can your drone. I think that technically you might also be able to salvage from the “Golden Ray” under international maritime laws. Just sayin’ ?

If you hop in a rowboat (or other water-borne conveyance of your choice) and go out to sea, hoist the Jolly Roger and declare your independence from the state, then you can fly free like the seabirds. So can your drone. I think that technically you might also be able to salvage from the “Golden Ray” under international maritime laws. Just sayin’ ?

You need to row out at least 12 miles for that to be true.

VanP, this IS a friendly and open forum. As always, there are those with good intentions, but not-so-good delivery. Keep the questions coming for my vote!

Easy Cockpit has a very detailed South African airspace database (EasyCockpit iOS (iPad/iPhone) • Aviation Direct) but is more geared towards general aviation and is subscription based...I tried the Garmin fly app, but not working well enough to justify a subscription...someone did a kml overlay on Google maps for drones but it is a bit outdated...so nothing ideal as far as I can see...hence my question ?‍♂️

Reactions: dawgpilot
I‘ve been flying my drone at the sight until December 4, 2020. Using Kittyhawk as my LAANC platform. Part 107. The FAA stopped my approvals on that date and haven’t had another approval since. Trying to find out why. Check out my channel. https://youtube.com/channel/UC1FK4SdGpgD31u83caRY3mw

Only the FAA can tell you why they stopped approving your Part 107 "further coordination" requests in those sectors of controlled airspace.

WOW... Pardon me for asking a question, I thought this was a friendly open forum for Mavic Pilots to post their footage and discuss all topics and get guidance
Well, the bigger picture is that "newbies" are a lot of the issues a lot of the time, don't take it personally :)

We were all newbies once. In every aspect.

I am new here. I am currently at our home on Saint Simons Island. I saw this sign on the peir and also thought it looked out of place. From reading the thread it does appear that it is a legit sign from the FAA website. I was curious about what legally creates a NO DRONE ZONE. I guess they are just relying on the airspace around the airport? I recently was gifted a DJI Mini 2 for Father's Day. I also have my instrument rating for my private pilot certificate. I am trying to get an understanding of where I can and can't fly my 249g mini 2. At first glance I think there is a perception that a sub 250g drone is immune from all laws, rules and regulations. The more I have looked into this it seems as though it is maybe just immune from having to be registered? I really do not know and would love for someone to explain this to me. I understand that all drone operators must comply with all laws and FAA regulations. My two questions are:

1. What is the significance of a sub 250g drone?
2. Why will my drone even take off in a NFZ?

I am new here. I am currently at our home on Saint Simons Island. I saw this sign on the peir and also thought it looked out of place. From reading the thread it does appear that it is a legit sign from the FAA website. I was curious about what legally creates a NO DRONE ZONE. I guess they are just relying on the airspace around the airport? I recently was gifted a DJI Mini 2 for Father's Day. I also have my instrument rating for my private pilot certificate. I am trying to get an understanding of where I can and can't fly my 249g mini 2. At first glance I think there is a perception that a sub 250g drone is immune from all laws, rules and regulations. The more I have looked into this it seems as though it is maybe just immune from having to be registered? I really do not know and would love for someone to explain this to me. I understand that all drone operators must comply with all laws and FAA regulations. My two questions are:

St. Simons if pretty much a 0 Grid for drones. Since you're a Part 61, you're familiar with airspace. With drones, that airspace goes all the way to the ground. Use the FAA's UAS Data map (ArcGIS Web Application) to check our address. If you're in a non-0AGL grid on St. Simons, you can fly via LAANC. Aloft.io is a good app for that.

The 250g aspect of the drone only means you don't have to register it if you're only flying recreationally. You will also need to unlock your drone when you get there. Instructions at Fly Safe - DJI

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.53.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.53.25 PM.png
    6 MB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.58.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.58.22 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 2
See my post of Nov 15, 2020. The no fly zone is really by the FAA, related to air and sea operations removing a grounded car carrier ship.
tom29928.

If you haven't already done so, you need to go through the TRUST online training and certification. This is now required for all recreational UAS pilots. It's easy and free. There is more info and links to testing in this forum.

Apart from READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and getting FAA registration I would suggest that if you are thinking that any Mavic is a toy then you are sadly misguided.
Even the smallest mini is capable of very good and stable video. So calling them toys is very frustrating to people who take drone flight seriously
Are drones “fun” yes, are they relatively ”easy” to use yes, are they cheap throw away items “no”
Buy one for your kids this Christmas so they can make life miserable for the 99% of us who obey the FAA restrictions and get bad press because of their total lack of understanding and consideration.
I agree that the mini 2 is not a toy, but FAA has described the category 1 drones as such.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair