DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 testing

BrucenYvette

Reactions
Has anyone gone through the process of getting 107-licensed without going through one of those online "pay-me" programs? I'd rather spend $130 in flying accessories rather than to some online "gangster" to teach me the answers to the FAA exam.

Reactions: Jalatta
There are some free Part 107 study resources available online. You can find a list of commonly used resources here.

Has anyone gone through the process of getting 107-licensed without going through one of those online "pay-me" programs? I'd rather spend $130 in flying accessories rather than to some online "gangster" to teach me the answers to the FAA exam.

Yes, I did self study. I used this book:
Remote Pilot Test prep

At $18.00 it is very good. You also get the supplement that you will be given at the test center. The instruction booklet has lots of questions to get you used to the Sectional Charts and other items like METAR's and TAF's. The book includes 5 online practice tests for when you think you are ready.

Also, youtube has tons of good videos. This one you should watch several times: Tony Northrup's Free Certification Guide

3DR.com also has a bunch of FREE test questions that are similar to the ones you will see on the test - great practice. 3DR Test Questions

Good luck in your prep.

Hey...thanks guys!!

Hey retired USAF dude...I'm an old B-52 mechanic from the 1970 era...Pease AFB / Kadena AFB Okinawa

Hey retired USAF dude...I'm an old B-52 mechanic from the 1970 era...Pease AFB / Kadena AFB Okinawa
Cool, I was missile maintenance at first, then did a special duty assignment for 16yrs. Retired in 97. Spent a lot of time TDY to Kadena from Yokota AB, Japan.

Used to love watching the SR-71 Blackbird "rocketing" out of Kadena in the early morning hours!

I also did not go the route of paid study and also purchased the $18.00 book. I went thru the book several times of the course of several weeks, and then took several of the free on line sample tests. When I passed all the sample test I went and took the actual test. No problems passing the test.

Good Luck.

Overkill. I downloaded the FAA’s Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge for free from the FAA website and read all 500+ pages. I also watched Tony Northrop’s video though his mocking of some things because he isn’t knowledgeable about aviation generally kind of bothered me. E g. ATIS per Tony is an automated service that tells about restaurants at the airport you’ll learn a lot with the Pilot’s Handbook and it helps you understand the why’s Of some of the rules.

Reactions: BrucenYvette
I took the 107 at a testing center in 2016, and passed. I'd bought one study guide and a local air chart from amazon for about $30.00. The book came with practice tests, I also took the free ones that 3dr had online at the time.

Remote Pilot Test prep

At $18.00 it is very good. You also get the supplement that you will be given at the test center. The instruction booklet has lots of questions to get you used to the Sectional Charts and other items like METAR's and TAF's. The book includes 5 online practice tests for when you think you are ready.

Also, youtube has tons of good videos. This one you should watch several times: Tony Northrup's Free Certification Guide

3DR.com also has a bunch of FREE test questions that are similar to the ones you will see on the test - great practice. 3DR Test Questions

Good luck in your prep.
Thanks for the information, the video is very helpful and the book is on the way.

I did self study with the same book. The practice exams were easier than the qualification exam I took. I averaged 93% with practice exams and got 87% on the real one. Just a few questions (2-3) on the exam were not covered in the book.

Thanks for all the experiences, ideas, and constructive critique (i.e. Tony Northrup), also!

Remote Pilot Test prep

Good luck in your prep.
Greg, I agree totally with you. I passed my test today with 90% (what the heck weather is under a lenticular cloud?). I spent 18 dollars for the Remote Pilot material. Well worth it. You get the same book of diagrams, METARs and section charts as they give you for the test. And the five on line tests were a lot like the real thing. Remote Test Pilot Prep plus Tony Northrup's You Tube session was plenty of prep.
And am I cool now that I can read METARS!

Greg, I agree totally with you. I passed my test today with 90% (what the heck weather is under a lenticular cloud?). I spent 18 dollars for the Remote Pilot material. Well worth it. You get the same book of diagrams, METARs and section charts as they give you for the test. And the five on line tests were a lot like the real thing. Remote Test Pilot Prep plus Tony Northrup's You Tube session was plenty of prep.
And am I cool now that I can read METARS!

Hey, cool. I also got a 90%. Congratulations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe