DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA permission to fly near airport?

daveatpdx

Reactions
I used to belong to a golf club that is near an airport. I photographed the course and made prints that decorate the clubhouse. The general manager of the club has asked me for more photographs. I'm pretty sure that the course is in a no fly zone; I will double check that in a couple days. I am wondering if the club manager would be able to get the necessary permission for me to fly at a specific time. When the wind is from the west planes approach and depart on the other side of the airport. I would think that the golf club should be able to get drone images during a time when there are no planes flying overhead. But if the course gets permission, is there a way that I can make my mavic 2 hassleblad take off in a no fly zone?
Thanks for any ideas or guidance.

First, legally you would need to have your Part 107 certification even if you aren't being paid for the photos.

Second, the best thing to do would be to go ahead and call the ATC manager yourself and at least start the discussion about what may or may not be possible. They don't bite.

Be prepared to offer some idea of what altitude you'd want to fly at, and where on the course you'd be.

Reactions: daveatpdx
Thanks Salty. I was afraid that I would need the certification. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and do that. Is there a reputable company that prepares you for the test?

I'm pretty sure that the course is in a no fly zone;
Before I did anything, I'd get on Airmap and see if it is for sure a no fly zone. Even if it is, it may be eligible for instant authorization through LAANC, fast, easy and painless.
As for getting your Part 107, I encourage you to do that. It's pretty easy and opens up a lot more possibilities. I used Remotepilot101.com when I did it.

Thanks Salty. I was afraid that I would need the certification. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and do that. Is there a reputable company that prepares you for the test?
DroneU is probably the best I’ve heard. I have not taken any of their courses personally but have a few colleagues who have and say they were great and helped them pass their exam. Luckily for me, the FAA just requires Part 61 pilots to take an online course to get the Part 107 cert.

First, legally you would need to have your Part 107 certification even if you aren't being paid for the photos.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean that 107 is required because he would be taking photos on behalf of a commercial entity?

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean that 107 is required because he would be taking photos on behalf of a commercial entity?

Yes. This is a well-worn topic. The photos would be used to benefit a business.

Reactions: tjdowling
People on other posts have indicated that if you fly recreationally, record images, and subsequently donate them to a youtbue channel the FAA does not regard this as commercial. It's hard for me to believe that if you also fly recreationally, record images, and subsequently donate them to another entity it would qualify as commercial. Even if it is a golf course. The people on other forums also referred to this non-commercial situation as a "well-worn" topic. It comes down to this: If it is not explicitly written in published FAA language or clarification letters or documents then it is up to interpretation.

It is also been said over and over, it is not what you do with the results of a flight. It is what you INTEND to do before you take off.
SO, decide you want some photos of trees just for fun. Accidentally get some trees with the golf course in the frame, and your good. Just don’t do it every time. Because a flight can NOT change from recreation to commercial during the flight. Make sure you say this is a recreational flight as you take off in front of witnesses.

What a joke this restriction is. The 107’s won’t like this, but they are all probably trying to figure out where the course is right now so they can steal your thunder. : D

People on other posts have indicated that if you fly recreationally, record images, and subsequently donate them to a youtbue channel the FAA does not regard this as commercial. It's hard for me to believe that if you also fly recreationally, record images, and subsequently donate them to another entity it would qualify as commercial. Even if it is a golf course. The people on other forums also referred to this non-commercial situation as a "well-worn" topic. It comes down to this: If it is not explicitly written in published FAA language or clarification letters or documents then it is up to interpretation.

And the resulting photos are used as decoration and not for resale.

I used to belong to a golf club that is near an airport. I photographed the course and made prints that decorate the clubhouse. The general manager of the club has asked me for more photographs. I'm pretty sure that the course is in a no fly zone; I will double check that in a couple days. I am wondering if the club manager would be able to get the necessary permission for me to fly at a specific time. When the wind is from the west planes approach and depart on the other side of the airport. I would think that the golf club should be able to get drone images during a time when there are no planes flying overhead. But if the course gets permission, is there a way that I can make my mavic 2 hassleblad take off in a no fly zone?
Thanks for any ideas or guidance.
1. Part 107 needed
2. What Air Space classification are you in.
3. If near a LAANC airport you can contact via e-mail and get permission to fly.

Our local large airport is a LAANC and it takes about 10 minutes to contact and get permission to fly!
FAA Facilities participating in LAANC

As usual. No one knows for sure if 107 is required.
Is giving away photos for decorating walls commercial? I say NO.
Unless money is made from THE PRODUCT of the flight, it is not commercial.
IF you INTEND to make money and dont, it is still commercial and 107 is required.
If you DO NOT INTEND for any money to be made as a result of your flight, you do not need part 107.

"Commercial" is the problem word here. Some people take it too literal in this context.

Reactions: Slim.slamma

I used remotepilot101.com. Studied the course twice and got a 95 on the exam. It’s not that hard. I did it in 2 weeks and it really makes you a much safer operator.

I used remotepilot101.com. Studied the course twice and got a 95 on the exam. It’s not that hard. I did it in 2 weeks and it really makes you a much safer operator.
Really? How is that?
Or did you just fly really bad before you read how to stay away from airplanes, crowds, and airports? :D

find a friend that is a 107 and have them there... As long as they are calling the shots and you follow applicable laws you are cool.

I recently got cleared to fly WELL into Class B , granted they held me to 200' but I have watched the same area on Flightaware on a regular basis and I know there are "heavies" at 1600 feet on final to BOS.

I have my 107 for my convenience I have never charged a dime for my work and I have given signed releases and the raw files to more than one group, including a golf course 2.2 miles from am airport

Make friends with a 107, we don't bite. REAL Pilots help other Pilots.

DJI_0951.JPGDJI_0992 (2).JPGDJI_0045.JPGDJI_0025.JPG

Really? How is that?
Or did you just fly really bad before you read how to stay away from airplanes, crowds, and airports? :D

I believe knowledge is power, and learning as much as you can about a given topic will only make you better and more proficient. If you prefer to remain uneducated on the details, that’s fine, but choosing to be derisive to me is entirely unnecessary. Further, I was giving advice to someone just starting out, and making the point that it is not that difficult to educate yourself.

Reactions: AMann
Dont fly your toy by airports, Dont fly your toy over crowds of people, Dont fly your toy so high that it can interfere with airplanes. Keep your toy where you can see it at all times.

There you go OP. I saved you $150 on your education, and you didnt have to read a bunch of things that dont involve toy flying. Now you will be a much safer pilot.....:D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan