DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Released Advisory Circular 91-57B - Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft

I’m not sure about that. From what I read there will be no flights within 5 miles of class G for recreation. . You can only fly recreationally in designated areas if you are with 5 miles of class G.

Negative. Class G comprises the entire airspace of of the United States that isn't in some other type of controlled airspace.

Reactions: SxSmith and BigAl07
I’m not sure about that. From what I read there will be no flights within 5 miles of class G for recreation. . You can only fly recreationally in designated areas if you are with 5 miles of class G.

Where did you read that? In any case - it's incorrect.

Reactions: BigAl07
And the designated areas are air fields where fixed wing take priority, you have to pay to register, you have to member of AMA, and only three can fly at a time for 20 minutes..

You are confusing Class G with the rules for controlled airspace. In other controlled airspace (such as B, C, D or E), recreational pilots can currently only operate at those designated sites.

Reactions: BigAl07
Rec pilots can fly in Class G without restriction now. The 5 mile rule doesn't exist anymore. Rec pilots just need to stay out of controlled airspace (until LAANC launches for recreational use later this summer).

I agree that the 5 mile thing was ridiculous. Good thing it no longer exists. It’s important people understand this as it opens a lot of space for flying without have to call an airport.

I don’t think I’m confused.. the new rules are you can only fly in designated area with in 5 miles of class G.. unless you have authorization. Only part 107 can get authorization

If your right that doesn’t make any sense at all.
Why have people not call class g airport but still fly near it?

Even the DJI GO APP just started warning you that you need authorization to fly within 5 miles of a class g airport. This just happened to me on a job.

Wow I think you might be right right... I’m happy for rec flyers but it just doesn’t make sense.. now you don’t call a class g airport and you can fly within 5 miles of it?

How about night time flying for rec. pilots? I don’t see any change to that being legal but have heard otherwise ..

Why is the Go4 app so crazy now? I was near(but miles away) from an unpaved airport yesterday and had to get a code from DJI ?

From FAA.gov
Do NOT fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless:
You are flying at a recreational flyer fixed site that has an agreement with the FAA. The FAA has posted a list of approved sites (MS Excel) and has depicted them as blue dots on a map. Each fixed site is limited to the altitude shown on this map, which varies by location.
NOTE: Flight in controlled airspace is temporarily limited to these fixed fields. The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. This system is currently only available for certified Part 107 drone pilots.

Class G airport

I think you may mean a non-tower "airport" where the airport and surrounding area is consider class G "airspace". The airport isn't class G, the airspace is class G.

And the designated areas are air fields where fixed wing take priority, you have to pay to register, you have to member of AMA, and only three can fly at a time for 20 minutes..
Where is that rule located? It's the first time I've ever heard of requiring only 3 to fly at once and a time limit? i fly at two AMA fields and one is a small non-tower active airport.

Not to go off topic but I noticed the Airmap app looks different that the last time I checked. I live less that a 1/8 of a mile from a heliport. Once it had a 5 mile boundry requiring me call to notify the heliport. But today if I zoom up to my house it isn't in a no fly or contact tower fly.zone. The app says it's ok to fly w/o restrictions. Not sure I trust that app but then I could be using it wrong.

Not to go off topic but I noticed the Airmap app looks different that the last time I checked. I live less that a 1/8 of a mile from a heliport. Once it had a 5 mile boundry requiring me call to notify the heliport. But today if I zoom up to my house it isn't in a no fly or contact tower fly.zone. The app says it's ok to fly w/o restrictions. Not sure I trust that app but then I could be using it wrong.

Since the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act was passed, the 5 mile rule is no more. The FAA had temporarily kept enforcing it, but a few weeks ago they changed their guidance and the new rule is that you are allowed to fly recreationally as long as you stay outside of controlled airspace. If your heliport isn't in controlled airspace, then you don't need to do anything about it, hence why AirMap displays things differently now.

Where is that rule located? It's the first time I've ever heard of requiring only 3 to fly at once and a time limit? i fly at two AMA fields and one is a small non-tower active airport.

bottom line: you still cannot fly there as a hobbyist unless the airspace is uncontrolled or class G. for the disappearance of the 5-mile rule is nothing more than a disappearing act. still can't fly. this so-called fix sites crap is disingenuous at best, they threw us a bone.

bottom line: you still cannot fly there as a hobbyist unless the airspace is uncontrolled or class G. for the disappearance of the 5-mile rule is nothing more than a disappearing act. still can't fly. this so-called fix sites crap is disingenuous at best, they threw us a bone.
Not saying the airport management people are also confused but they told us to continue as normal. When I look at the restrictions (on the app) it tells me the names of both of my clubs. So we're flying as usual. If an airplane comes in to land or prepares to lift off we just get out of the way.

At home I'm having a hard time downloading a sectional map of my region. I'd like to see it. Airmap tells me I can fly over my property (no restrictions) but if I move across the street it throws a caution symbol and says Hospital. As mentioned the heliport is less than a 1/8 of a mile away. If the Airmap doesn't let the app show what space I'm really in its' worthless.

Today I received an email from FAA "Recreational Flyers – Interim Safety Guidance Available to Explain How, When and Where You Can Fly Your Drone". It lists 8 conditions for recreational flyers. #7 caught my eye: Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test. Do the rules take effect immediately? I have not taken the exam.

Today I received an email from FAA "Recreational Flyers – Interim Safety Guidance Available to Explain How, When and Where You Can Fly Your Drone". It lists 8 conditions for recreational flyers. #7 caught my eye: Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test. Do the rules take effect immediately? I have not taken the exam.

If you click through to the FAA site, you will see that the exam requirement hasn't taken effect yet because the FAA hasn't released the exam. It should be coming later this summer.

Reactions: SxSmith
t lists 8 conditions for recreational flyers. #7 caught my eye: Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test. Do the rules take effect immediately?
Here's more information from the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft advisory:

"The Operator has Passed an Aeronautical Knowledge and Safety Test and Maintains Proof of Test Passage to be Made Available to the Administrator or a Designee of the Administrator or Law Enforcement Upon Request. The FAA is developing the test in consultation with stakeholders. Recreational flyers would have to pass the test, which could be administered electronically, and would be responsible for providing proof of passage upon request from FAA personnel or law enforcement. The FAA will provide additional guidance and notice when the test is available and the date on which adherence to this condition would be required."

My understanding is that according to the new rules put into effect, the FAA has 6 months to put the test together. This would mean that they have until November to start administering the recreational pilot test.

I am trying to have an understanding of the new rules and how they will evolve over the next few few months. I usually fly from my backyard which comes as Class B airspace on the Mavic 2 Zoom controller. Both Phoenix Sky Harbor and Scottsdale Airport are over 8 miles from me in a direct line. The allowed sites here in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area are about 30-60 minutes away and inconvenient. What are the chances I will be able to be able to fly from my home again when all this irons out. If it's not likely I will sell the Mavic 2 Zoom.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake