DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA TRUST Test is here!

It actually takes longer to listen to the introductory video from Greg, than to read the material and take the test....and as long as you are able to read...you will get all the answers correctly without any do overs...it really is that simple..this may be a good time to say thank you to Greg @pilotinstitute for taking the time in the introduction to explain it...and to present the material.......Thank You Greg

The fact that this is even an issue and was possible is not good. Did AMA mess up or did the FAA?
AMA did. They weren't supposed to put the page out live until yesterday. They did it over the weekend. There are multiple test administrators, and they all got the same set of instructions. The AMA knew they weren't supposed to drop it that early. Either it was deliberate (unlikely), or IT wasn't working with a complete set of instructions.

When I passed this along to my FAA contacts, they were not happy. Especially the one who was at his son's soccer game. And someone from the AMA called me Monday to thank me for letting them know, and keeping being "Johnny on the spot" about the new regs.

I do media appearances and write articles and know all about embargos, but as a lawyer I’ve never heard of this issue coming up in federal regulatory matters, or any other governmental matters either. Obviously anyone who took it earlier than allowed and realizes the issue should re-take it, and as a lawyer that’s definitely my advice. But…. I’d be shocked if anyone is ever prosecuted based on this issue.
I agree, I seriously doubt the FAA or any agency with prosecutorial powers would do anything at all. Retaking it would strictly be an exercise in integrity. There weren't that many who did. I did, but I needed to see what it was about so I could instruct others.

I had plenty of FAA embargo stuff in December last year when the new rules came out. I had a team of other DSPs who were working on it for pre-release suggestions. If I had leaked the new OOP or RID rules before the official release, it would have ruined my relationship with the Integration Office. Not worth the chance to me. Which is why I don't believe the AMA released their TRUST page early on purpose. AMA and FAA have a good working relationship. Why jeopardize that?

On Saturday I posted about this with a link to the AMA page in one of my forums, and one of my FAA contacts asked me to remove it since it was causing so many issues. I did of course. Not because I feared prosecution (obviously), but out of respect for my relationship with the FAA.
And if they were - I say this as a former prosecutor - I would love to defend that case, and then bring a civil suit after the charges are dismissed, as they almost certainly would be.
Again, no one is going to be prosecuted. There is no reason to.

Reactions: Maviac
Its pretty funny that 107 holders need to pass this as well to fly recreationally... the test is really beneath anyone who has undergone that level of flight education.

On the flip side.... it is a different set of rules, so a different certificate makes sense. At least it is incredibly easy for anyone with a bit of experience.
As you mentioned, it's not so much about the information being "learned" by current 107 holder, but about the language of 44809. Requirement 7 of 44809 states, "The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request." There is no "unless they are a current 107 Remote Pilot" tacked on to the end of that sentence.

So unless we take it, we aren't satisfying all of the Exception rule. So we aren't legal under 44809.

As you mentioned, it's not so much about the information being "learned" by current 107 holder, but about the language of 44809. Requirement 7 of 44809 states, "The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request." There is no "unless they are a current 107 Remote Pilot" tacked on to the end of that sentence.

So unless we take it, we aren't satisfying all of the Exception rule. So we aren't legal under 44809.
Greg does make this point abundantly clear...more than one time...one could point out that by passing the 107 test and securing that certification...that the individual has indeed passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test....I know that what we presently have is...what we have....but it does seem as though that could have saved, what I perceive, a duplication of effort

I just took it. I went to the FAA website to find the list of providers, and I took mine from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, so now I can say I got a diploma from them (sort of). I did notice one thing during the course work: It said that, if the FAA or local law enforcement asks, you must tell them which CBO's set of rules you are flying under. Hmm, I'm not aware of any approved CBOs yet. The FAA issued some interim guidelines that I think I can fly under, but that wasn't mentioned during the TRUST course.

Oh well, I also have a Part 107 certificate, and virtually all of my flying would be allowed under either set of rules, so I'm not too concerned about this. But they ought to approve a CBO one of these days...
I went to Humpty Diddle, or
'El Ripoff", whichever name fits lol back 71-75

Greg does make this point abundantly clear...more than one time...one could point out that by passing the 107 test and securing that certification...
Absolutely, but that language would have to be added to 44809 since it talks about developing a new test in (g).

It's the gov't, don't expect logic. ?

that the individual has indeed passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test....I know that what we presently have is...what we have....but it does seem as though that could have saved, what I perceive, a duplication of effort

Thank you. I also belong to a few clubs & fly AMA rules at our AMA registered sites.

Is there a date all RC pilots need to be registered by?

I'm surprised I haven't seen much from the AMA but admit I rarely watch their AMA live videos.

There is no final requirement date yet, the FAA put a grace period in place for now.

Reactions: Vic Moss
So as a Canadian citizen visiting the USA I know I had to register my drone with the FAA and now I would also need to carry my TRUST certificate with me also. Is there anything else I would have to do to fly recreational in the USA other then follow the rules for rec flying?

Check B4UFLY to make sure that you are in uncontrolled space....I do realize that you mention that you mention following the rules for rec flying....but I have found in my own neighborhood that the line between controlled / uncontrolled can happen in the middle of your own back yard

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
As said, for education and safety mostly. Think it took me about 15 minutes with all questions correct. Did not completely agree with the question and the answer of all registration numbers must be on the outside of the drone as a correct answer. It is ALLOWED to be on the inside if NO tools have to be used to find it. This could have been done just a little better.

Reactions: pilotinstitute
Took it today. Pretty simple having taken and passed the Part 107 Certification, and Recurrent exams. Not a bad idea for recreational pilots to gain some insights regarding safe operations.

Attachments

• trustcertz.jpg
    trustcertz.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 7
Reading this online forum and other internet sources over the last 2 years provided enough information to go straight to the questions without the need to review the pretest material. No worries mates, you will all pass. New hobbyists may need to read the pretest material. But it's mostly just common sense stuff.

So as a Canadian citizen visiting the USA I know I had to register my drone with the FAA and now I would also need to carry my TRUST certificate with me also. Is there anything else I would have to do to fly recreational in the USA other then follow the rules for rec flying?
Nope, the 9 rules in 44809 are what you need to follow, registration and TRUST are 2 of them. Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

Scored a hunert! Woot!

Thanks. A few upset long time fliers in our club. Oh well; it's so easy except some don't know how to use a computer
Careful, bordering on age discrimination... LOL???. Test was too easy, as many stated, common sense, If ya can't read and pass, then you shouldn't be... will leave that to one's own imagination...

Used Pilotinstitute, Great job guys! Currently using them for my 107 as well, just wish i had more time to complete.

Happy and Safe flying
inno

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147