DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA TRUST Test is here!

The last time something drone-related was "required by law" was when they wanted us to register our drones. A few months after I registered mine, the law was overturned. I've been flying my drone safely ever since without involving the FAA and see no reason to start now.
It was overturned in the courts, and then it was put into law by Congress. So whether or not you think you are flying safely, you are certainly flying illegally.

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny. It takes all of 20 minutes and has no cost yet some feel they are better than everyone else.

Reactions: BigAl07
If it wasn't so sad it would be funny. It takes all of 20 minutes and has no cost yet some feel they are better than everyone else.
It's not the time or cost that concerns me. It's the risk of involving a regulatory agency in my personal business. I'm flying safely so there is no need for government meddling.

It's not the time or cost that concerns me. It's the risk of involving a regulatory agency in my personal business. I'm flying safely so there is no need for government meddling.
Are you in the US?

The last time something drone-related was "required by law" was when they wanted us to register our drones. A few months after I registered mine, the law was overturned. I've been flying my drone safely ever since without involving the FAA and see no reason to start now.
No, it wasn't a law, and that was the problem.

The FAA made a regulation (not law) that required drone registration, and someone challenged it on the grounds that the FAA was overstepping its authority because Congress hadn't authorized it. In May of 2017, the courts agreed, saying the FAA can't require drone registration unless Congress tells them to, and the regulation was suspended.

So Congress said, "wait a minute, we DO want drone registration", and they passed section 44809, the law that allows you to fly a drone without a license, if and only if you comply with all of its provisions. One of the provisions is that you must register your drone if it weighs more than 250g. Another provision is that your flights must be for strictly recreational purposes. Another is that you must have passed the TRUST test, and carry proof of passage with you when you fly your drone. There are more provisions, most of which are covered in the TRUST exam.

All of these provisions came directly from Congress, not from the FAA. If you have a beef with those rules, you'll have to take it up with your elected senators and representatives.

In the meantime, be aware that, unlike the old registration requirement that was thrown out, THIS registration requirement is the law. And so is the requirement for the TRUST test.

So does that mean you don't have a driver's license even though you drive safely? Or that anyone else that drives safely shouldn't have to get one?

Reactions: JAW and Vic Moss
Had my first drone less than 24 hours, went ahead and took it. Already on multiple lists for my concealed carry, NFA items, whats one more lol

Ahh, OK.

I don't do Facebook. Too Borgian for me...

;-)

Thx!

TCS
Totally understand not doing facebook but the problem is all these drone manufactures have changed the way they interact with the general public. Facebook, Twitter & Instagram is a cheap way for them to reach many users. Group forums is not their preferred way of doing business as they have no control of content. So unless you belong to social media you are only getting part of the story. Lots of good info on social media, you just have to know who to believe ;)

Totally understand not doing facebook but the problem is all these drone manufactures have changed the way they interact with the general public. Facebook, Twitter & Instagram is a cheap way for them to reach many users. Group forums is not their preferred way of doing business as they have no control of content. So unless you belong to social media you are only getting part of the story. Lots of good info on social media, you just have to know who to believe ;)
I had good interactions with the support teams for both DJI and Snaptain. When I told them I didn't do Facebook, they were happy to work with me via email.

FaceBorg is the worst of the FANGs.

:)

TCS

I took the test and was not too hard at all! got it printed out and stays in my drone case!

Hey real quick. The FAA just released The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST). Everyone flying their drones recreationally in the US is required to take it. The good news is it’s free, it’s fast and Pilot Institute is an authorized Testing provider. You can find more information about TRUST with this video
and take the test directly at https://trust.pilotinstitute.com.
I've tried multiple times creating an account on your site. Every time I click Create Account, I get: 404 Page Not Found.. I'm using Chrome, so..... ??

When "Your Business" has to do with the National Airspace System it becomes ALL of our business and that area is regulated. No different than operating on a public highway. You are required to have certain things: Divers License, Registration, Insurance (depending on state requirements) etc. Flying in the NAS isn't a RIGHT but a Privilege and with that privilege comes some mild (very mild actually) regulations.

Keep in mind that by NOT taking the TRUST and not abiding my ~44809 you are, by default, flying under Part 107 and accountable to everything that entails.

It's very key to note that Flying Safe and Flying Legal are not one and the same in this case.

Reactions: sar104
Not surprisingly, a quick Airmen Inquiry shows three people by that last name and none of them with a sUAS rating or by that first name...despite monetized YT videos on his channel.

Don't let that be a surprise to you and don't let it be a final determining factor. That DB is riddled with errors, omissions, and duplications (shocking no?).

I've been a pilot for over 2 decades and for some strange reason I was not listed in the DB at all for 2 years (UAS or Manned Aviation) even though I had been listed for many years previously.

It's very key to note that Flying Safe and Flying Legal are not one and the same in this case.
That's exactly my point.

Not surprisingly, a quick Airmen Inquiry shows three people by that last name and none of them with a sUAS rating or by that first name...despite monetized YT videos on his channel.
My YouTube channel is NOT monetized! YouTube places ads on my videos without my consent and against my wishes. I do not support, condone, or approve of any product, service, person, or cause depicted in the ads.

Don't let that be a surprise to you and don't let it be a final determining factor. That DB is riddled with errors, omissions, and duplications (shocking no?).
My YouTube channel is NOT monetized! YouTube places ads on my videos without my consent and against my wishes. I do not support, condone, or approve of any product, service, person, or cause depicted in the ads.
Fair enough.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett