DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA TRUST Test is here!

As said, for education and safety mostly. Think it took me about 15 minutes with all questions correct. Did not completely agree with the question and the answer of all registration numbers must be on the outside of the drone as a correct answer. It is ALLOWED to be on the inside if NO tools have to be used to find it. This could have been done just a little better.

See...the training is helping educate already, because the above is not correct :).

In early 2019, the FAA updated 48.205 to require the location be on an external surface

The exact wording:

The unique identifier must be legibly displayed on an external surface of the small unmanned aircraft.

There actually was one question that I thought was not exactly accurate, but it was obvious what answer they were looking for. Can't even remember what it was at the moment.

(EDIT: I remember the question I thought was slightly inaccurate. Something where you had to answer that the pilot had to have VLOS the entire flight....the question left out the alternative that the visual observer standing next to the pilot has VLOS, but that was covered in another question).

Last edited:
For new pilots it can be very educational. For those of us that have been flying a long time, it was a little refresher.
We have to do it, it was easy and done. You never have to do it again, just don't lose it or you'll have to redo. Keep it on your phone or in your bag along with your registration, (that) you need to renew every three years.

Hey real quick. The FAA just released The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST). Everyone flying their drones recreationally in the US is required to take it. The good news is it’s free, it’s fast and Pilot Institute is an authorized Testing provider. You can find more information about TRUST with this video
and take the test directly at https://trust.pilotinstitute.com.
I just went through the entire course and super easy exam and already got my certificate already. Piece of cake. We ALL know this stuff already. I think it is just another CYA exercise, but at least it's free.

Dale
MiamiDrone-Trust certificate-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufargon
As said, for education and safety mostly. Think it took me about 15 minutes with all questions correct. Did not completely agree with the question and the answer of all registration numbers must be on the outside of the drone as a correct answer. It is ALLOWED to be on the inside if NO tools have to be used to find it. This could have been done just a little better.
The test covers the current rules as they are now. It's not a history test about the old rules before they were changed to disallow putting the registration number on the inside of the drone.

Reactions: dirkclod
Got mine. I thought it positive and little inconvenience.

I found the link last Sunday morning. Took it in 20 minutes. All registered up.
I agree with Greg at Pilot Institute. The Last letter “T” in TRUST should represent Training instead of Test. Even a cave man can pass it, but the training he gets from it is most important.
B52-D
Blue Skys & Happy Contrails. ➰

Attachments

• 0BAEB900-BF6B-42CF-A40A-E8BCABFA9F21.png
    0BAEB900-BF6B-42CF-A40A-E8BCABFA9F21.png
    297.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: SmilingOgre
As you mentioned, it's not so much about the information being "learned" by current 107 holder, but about the language of 44809. Requirement 7 of 44809 states, "The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request." There is no "unless they are a current 107 Remote Pilot" tacked on to the end of that sentence.

So unless we take it, we aren't satisfying all of the Exception rule. So we aren't legal under 44809.
Good day @Vic Moss
In some of the facebook groups there is a lot of conversion if a Part107 pilot actually needs to take this test. One fellow claims he is part 107 and will not take it. Guessing he plans on just flying commercial. So is there any wording he is missing in his statemen or is something going to be added?

Here is what he had to say. "
Subpart 107.1(b) states, "This part does not apply to the following:
(2) Any aircraft subject to the provisions of 49 U.S.C. 44809". 44809 states "a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations" and then includes the new test as one of those limitations. So if someone is flying as a recreational pilot under 44809 they have to follow the recreational rule of having completed the TRUST test. If they are flying under Part 107 it is not necessary."

Last edited:
Reactions: B52-D
Good day @Vic Moss
In some of the facebook groups there is a lot of conversion if a Part107 pilot actually needs to take this test. One fellow claims he is part 107 and will not take it. Guessing he plans on just flying commercial. So is there any wording he is missing in his statemen or is something going to be added?

Here is what he had to say. "
Subpart 107.1(b) states, "This part does not apply to the following:
(2) Any aircraft subject to the provisions of 49 U.S.C. 44809". 44809 states "a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations" and then includes the new test as one of those limitations. So if someone is flying as a recreational pilot under 44809 they have to follow the recreational rule of having completed the TRUST test. If they are flying under Part 107 it is not necessary."

I'm guessing as a 107 pilot he does not like to be told he has to take a rec exam. ?
I agree with him, but I'd reach the conclusion by looking at the structure of 44809. It says that a person may fly a sUAS without getting a pilot certificate, provided they meet ALL of the following requirements. It then goes on to list requirements, among them are the requirement to have passed the TRUST test, and the requirement that the flight be for "strictly recreational" purposes. The requirements are listed on equal footing. A person who has not passed the TRUST test is in the same status as a person whose flight has purposes that are not strictly recreational: section 44809 is unavailable to that person, but Part 107 flight is still available, provided they meet all of the Part 107 requirements (including holding a current certificate, of course).

There's a popular practice of describing Part 107 as applicable to commercial flight, and that's fine, but notice that Part 107 has no mention of "commercial" or "recreational" flight. If a person wants to go to the trouble of getting a Part 107 certificate, they may use it for commercial or recreational purposes, and they may ignore section 44809, provided that they always meet all of the Part 107 requirements.

As everyone is pointing out, the TRUST test is so easy, I can't think of a good reason to avoid it, but on the other hand, someone who holds a Part 107 certificate doesn't need to hurry and complete it, unless they are planning to take a flight which would be legal under 44809 but not allowed under Part 107 (flying an unregistered drone that's under 250g, for example).

Reactions: sar104
I agree with him, but I'd reach the conclusion by looking at the structure of 44809. It says that a person may fly a sUAS without getting a pilot certificate, provided they meet ALL of the following requirements. It then goes on to list requirements, among them are the requirement to have passed the TRUST test, and the requirement that the flight be for "strictly recreational" purposes. The requirements are listed on equal footing. A person who has not passed the TRUST test is in the same status as a person whose flight has purposes that are not strictly recreational: section 44809 is unavailable to that person, but Part 107 flight is still available, provided they meet all of the Part 107 requirements (including holding a current certificate, of course).

There's a popular practice of describing Part 107 as applicable to commercial flight, and that's fine, but notice that Part 107 has no mention of "commercial" or "recreational" flight. If a person wants to go to the trouble of getting a Part 107 certificate, they may use it for commercial or recreational purposes, and they may ignore section 44809, provided that they always meet all of the Part 107 requirements.

As everyone is pointing out, the TRUST test is so easy, I can't think of a good reason to avoid it, but on the other hand, someone who holds a Part 107 certificate doesn't need to hurry and complete it, unless they are planning to take a flight which would be legal under 44809 but not allowed under Part 107 (flying an unregistered drone that's under 250g, for example).
That appears to be a proper analysis. Up until a couple of months ago, there was the additional right to fly at night under recreational rules, but that's part of 107 now. I'm not aware of any additional rights under recreational rules than under 107; of course, 107 does give additional rights (aside from commercial use, the ability to go 400ft above a structure).

That being said, I figured the 5 minutes it took for the test was a better use of my time than parsing whether it was technically required or whether there was any real benefit.

Reactions: Rich QR
It is ALLOWED to be on the inside if NO tools have to be used to find it.

The FAA changed that rule in 2019.

The battery compartment is no longer acceptable.

Registration numbers must be displayed on the outside of the aircraft.

The rule was changed due to the safety of first responders on the scene of a crashed drone and being able to identify the registration without handling the battery which may be damaged and spontaneous combust.

I used to keep the numbers in the battery compartment of the Spark until the rule change.

Edit...Sorry, didn't see post #62 above.

Thanks z28lt1

Reactions: dirkclod
Very easy to pass. Most of the questions I would have known the answers just from reading posts on the all the different Drone groups I am in. There were just a couple of questions that you might not have known the answers for unless you read through all the material.

I just took it. I went to the FAA website to find the list of providers, and I took mine from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, so now I can say I got a diploma from them (sort of). I did notice one thing during the course work: It said that, if the FAA or local law enforcement asks, you must tell them which CBO's set of rules you are flying under. Hmm, I'm not aware of any approved CBOs yet. The FAA issued some interim guidelines that I think I can fly under, but that wasn't mentioned during the TRUST course.

Oh well, I also have a Part 107 certificate, and virtually all of my flying would be allowed under either set of rules, so I'm not too concerned about this. But they ought to approve a CBO one of these days...
I tried ERAU, but it said I had to be a Student. maybe 30 years ago... Edit, I I forgot to paste the code. I've NOW taken the test from two different places and the questions are exactly the same.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54