DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA107 Ques.

NJFreemason

Reactions
Hi,
I am new to drone world. I own a Mavic Pro Platinum. Since I live in an urban area, I have been going to a drone school to practice flying. I am interested in flying commercially at some point. The school offers a FAA107 class for $1100. They say it is a one on one. I see some online ones for as low as $125. Would like some feedback on other certified 107 pilots out there on their experIence. Also, I know we don’t have to register our drones. But, can we and is their a negative to voluntary registration.

As a hobbyist, you only have to register yourself once if any of your drones are over 250 grams.
When you become 107, then you need to register each of your drones that you plan to fly under 107 rules.

Reactions: AMann and dawgpilot
Hi,
I am new to drone world. I own a Mavic Pro Platinum. Since I live in an urban area, I have been going to a drone school to practice flying. I am interested in flying commercially at some point. The school offers a FAA107 class for $1100. They say it is a one on one. I see some online ones for as low as $125. Would like some feedback on other certified 107 pilots out there on their experIence. Also, I know we don’t have to register our drones. But, can we and is their a negative to voluntary registration.
I took the Remote Pilot 101 online course for my Part 107 prep. I would highly recommend. Lifetime access to the course and the Recurrent course for $149. I actually prefer the online format where I can go back and review a video as many times as I want. They are also very responsive to questions.

Reactions: Lbesing and djscoe
Yes...you must register your Mavic...quick and easy to do online:

On that website you can register - and see the operating regulations under the Exception for Recreational Flyers. It only costs a few bucks and can be done thru this FAA site.

One registration covers both you as a recreational pilot and multiple drones. Print out a copy and keep it in your drone case; it must be presented on demand by the FAA and law enforcement.

Your drone(s) must have the registration number marked on the outside of the aircraft...Dymo label tape works well and is removable.

Hi,
There is a wealth of information and practice questions/tests on the internet (much on this forum) as well as an official FAA Study Guide and testing supplement (both free for download from the FAA). The YouTube Tony Northrup video is a good place to start, then look at the 3dr practice exam. Those two items will dictate the subjects on which you should concentrate your study. The FAA also has a YouTube channel with many new videos regarding UAVs and airspace. It's entirely unnecessary to pay anything to achieve a test score in the 90's. Contrary to what many people think, the 107 test is NOT difficult and takes less than 20 minutes to complete. As to the other part of your question, hobby flight requires registering yourself. It is not voluntary if you are flying anything over 0.55 lbs. The number you receive must go on all of your drones. Any drone used for 107 flights must be registered individually and only have its unique 107 registration number on it and then may be used for both 107 and hobby flights.

There is a wealth of information and practice questions/tests on the internet (much on this forum) as well as an official FAA Study Guide and testing supplement (both free for download from the FAA). The YouTube Tony Northrup video is a good place to start, then look at the 3dr practice exam. Those two items will dictate the subjects on which you should concentrate your study. The FAA also has a YouTube channel with many new videos regarding UAVs and airspace. It's entirely unnecessary to pay anything to achieve a test score in the 90's. Contrary to what many people think, the 107 test is NOT difficult and takes less than 20 minutes to complete. As to the other part of your question, hobby flight requires registering yourself. It is not voluntary if you are flying anything over 0.55 lbs. The number you receive must go on all of your drones. Any drone used for 107 flights must be registered individually and only have its unique 107 registration number on it and then may be used for both 107 and hobby flights.
Thank you

I took the Remote Pilot 101 online course for my Part 107 prep. I would highly recommend. Lifetime access to the course and the Recurrent course for $149. I actually prefer the online format where I can go back and review a video as many times as I want. They are also very responsive to questions.
please post a link to subscribe to the course

I took the GoldSeal online course ($150.00) and had no problem passing my Part 107 test. They will also pay you to retake the the test if you failed and have followed their guidelines.
HERE is the link. They also give you a free trial to check out the course.

If I can do it I am sure you won't have a problem - good luck with however you do it !

please post a link to subscribe to the course

I thought this one was excellent:

They were giving a discount if you ((Use Promo code: HERON18)

Product
Total
Remote Pilot 101 - UAS Course
$149.00​
Ken Heron - Thursday Night Live Show
-$44.70​
Discount:
$44.70​
Total:
$104.30​

While I agree that it is possible to achieve a score of 90 on the initial Part 107 test without expense (other than the $150 testing fee CATS charges to administer the FAA exam), many people without a background in aviation feel overwhelmed by all the information on airspace, regulations, etc. Some folks need more structure in a learning environment.

BTW...the required minimum passing score is 70.

The FAA study guide is a good place to start...many people also use one of the online courses previously mentioned...it just depends on the students’ background, study habits and motivation.

In contrast to certifications for manned aircraft pilot certificates there are no Certified Flight Instructor or Ground Instructor ratings granted by the FAA for Part 107 operations...so caution is advised before plunking down $1000-ish for a training class.

Last edited:
Reactions: JS1600
As a hobbyist, you only have to register yourself once if any of your drones are over 250 grams.
While this is the case, it can be confusing as to recreational pilots registration requirements. The FAA says on their web site:

Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number, and carry proof of registration with you.

This might lead one to believe each drone must be registered which definitely is NOT the case. Only you as an individual are required to register.

While this is the case, it can be confusing as to recreational pilots registration requirements. The FAA says on their web site:

Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number, and carry proof of registration with you.

This might lead one to believe each drone must be registered which definitely is NOT the case. Only you as an individual are required to register.

Yup...click HERE:

586ba745501948b5aed3e696b1514671.jpg

The only thing I paid for besides the test itself was Gary Glen's 250 questions for $39. It was well worth it. As others have said, use Gary Glen video, Tony Northrup video and 3dr practice exam and you should be all set. I prepared \ Studied for 3 weeks and then made my exam reservation. Arrived 30 min early and went over weak points in my car before entering test area. Then I did a brain dump on the paper they supply before pressing the Start button. Scored 90%.

The school offers a FAA107 class for $1100.

What?!!! ?

Do you get a nice drone to take home at the end of the course?
Nah, your probably buying the school owner his next drone.

Reactions: Drgnfli and JS1600
That’s what I did too and it was great. Highly recommend.

For $1100, I hope it's more than just an in person ground school. Are they including flight training in with that?

Reactions: JS1600 and BigAl07
Remote Pilot 101 is excellent, ($149 I think) constantly updated and once you pay you get to keep going back forever... meaning every two years when you re-up your cert you will need to study again.

$1100??! for a course? Heck I'll fly out and teach you myself!

Bought two or three study guides a Amazon. Then
found several sites on the net with sample tests.
Watched Tony's. YOU TUBE SEVERAL TIMES
Took the tests until I was able to score 90 or better
then took the test. Spent about $60.

That’swhat I did, also downloaded the free FAA study materials too. Tony is great, I watched his free videos and like his work- not Ken H, he just rubs me the wrong way.
Spent $30 on a guide, that was it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d