DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCPX and MacBook Pro

Curious to know if an external SSD like the Samsung is any faster/more reliable than a regular HD

Based on some reviews I've read looks like the T3 is consistently getting 450+MB/s whereas 7200rpm is around 150MB/s at best, this is just normal drive setup, not RAID or anything

1. When you copy your media footage from SD cards, do it to your external hard drives.
2. When you import media to edit in FCPX choose only "create proxy media" and "leave files in place".

This wiil prevent FCPX to render proxy media to your local HD and copy those files to it... The downside is that you have always to get your external HD connected to your Mac while editing, and you will loose some performance, so choose carefully your external HDs.

Yes before I started doing that, my hard drive space was being gobbled up by FCP X

Reactions: roflyer
1. When you copy your media footage from SD cards, do it to your external hard drives.
2. When you import media to edit in FCPX choose only "create proxy media" and "leave files in place".

This wiil prevent FCPX to render proxy media to your local HD and copy those files to it... The downside is that you have always to get your external HD connected to your Mac while editing, and you will loose some performance, so choose carefully your external HDs.
Ok, folks, thanks for all the help with managing space. I just got a LaCie Porsche Design 2TB USB-C delivered today and a Lexar C1 microSD Reader to be delivered tomorrow, so I guess I'm set up assesory-wise. I think, ideally, I'd like to just have project files on the computer to work with as I guess the FCPX performance would be unhindered. Then, as others have said, move the library to the external drive when the movie is finished.

The Professional Application agent I talked to at AppleCare (yeah, they have a team devoted just to help with Apps) said to give him a call back for help with formatting the external HD. I'll probably ask for his advice too. I'm sure it'll be in line what you folks have already suggested but I'll post back if there's anything new.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito