DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming a moving object from a static flight

Julmo01

Reactions
Hi all,
I'm new on this Forum, and a recent owner of a M2Z, operating in a small island in the middle of the mediterranean sea (malta to be accurate).

I'm looking for a specific preset mode, but I think it is not: film a moving object from a static point...
i.e. the drone steady hoover 25m away from a road, and as you choose a target (a moving car) it "follows" it just by keeping the moving object in the center of the display, without moving itself.

was i clear enough... (?)

Thanks for your help...

Last edited:
I haven't tried it, but the 'spotlight' mode available in active track might work. It keeps the subject you selected in the center of the frame as you fly manually. I suppose if you chose to hover, the M2 would remain hovering while tracking the subject.

Reactions: Gunteacher
Hi all,
I'm new on this Forum, and a recent owner of a M2Z, operating in a small island in the middle of the mediterranean sea (malta to be accurate).

I'm looking for a specific preset mode, but I think it is not: film a moving object from a static point...
i.e. the drone steady hoover 25m away from a road, and as you choose a target (a moving car) it "follows" it just by keeping the moving object in the center of the display, without moving itself.

Thanks for your help...
What you are describing is an Intelligent flight mode called 'Spotlight' ... Works exactly like you describe ...
However, it is still possible to 'fly' the Mavic while it keeps the subject centred ... have a look at this ...

What you are describing is an Intelligent flight mode called 'Spotlight' ... Works exactly like you describe ...
However, it is still possible to 'fly' the Mavic while it keeps the subject centred ... have a look at this ...

Not exactly...
In this mode the Mavic2 is following the object, so the mavic is moving ...
My question was: The drone shouldn't move , and the object moves >>> so the mavic "turn" it's heading in order to follow the object....
The idea is for instance: staying away from a runway, and from a static point, catching the final approach of a plane or a car, or a truck... !

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help...

Grandayyy

Not exactly...
In this mode the Mavic2 is following the object, so the mavic is moving ...
My question was: The drone shouldn't move , and the object moves >>> so the mavic "turn" it's heading in order to follow the object....
The idea is for instance: staying away from a runway, and from a static point, catching the final approach of a plane or a car, or a truck... !
Nope - you have missed the important bit ... If you engage 'Spotlight' then the drone will hover in a fixed position (your 'static point') and 'yaw' to keep the target/subject locked in the crosshairs 'till it moves out of sight (becomes too small or indestinct to maintain the lock). As an adjunct to that ... IF YOU WANT TO move the controls, then you can get the drone to move along a course and/or deviate from it - but while it is doing so, the camera remains locked on the subject.
It is easier to do for an object that is starting near you and moving away of course - rather than a speck on the horizon that becomes a nearby object as it moves toward you!
I understand what you want to do - and 'Spotlight' is the intelligent flight mode you want to do it with.

Nope - you have missed the important bit ... If you engage 'Spotlight' then the drone will hover in a fixed position (your 'static point') and 'yaw' to keep the target/subject locked in the crosshairs 'till it moves out of sight (becomes too small or indestinct to maintain the lock). As an adjunct to that ... IF YOU WANT TO move the controls, then you can get the drone to move along a course and/or deviate from it - but while it is doing so, the camera remains locked on the subject.
It is easier to do for an object that is starting near you and moving away of course - rather than a speck on the horizon that becomes a nearby object as it moves toward you!
I understand what you want to do - and 'Spotlight' is the intelligent flight mode you want to do it with.
OK , I understand better, my bad.
I was doing a missmatch with the "active track" mode...
I'll try this as soon as the wind will stop blowing on my small island!
Thanks!

Reactions: FoxhallGH
It can be a little confusing, because there is some overlap between some of the IF modes - but - think of it like this ...
You have a car on an oval track ...
1) You can hover above the mid-point of the track, 'Spotlight' lock on the car, and then as the car does its laps, the drone will just yaw/rotate while hovering above the midpoint and use a combo' of yaw and up/down on the camera gimbal to keep the car centred in the frame ... Meanwhile you can be hands-off and leave the drone to it.
2) or - you can set up Spotlight, and as per the video in post #7 above, you can set up a track so that you can move back and forth along a centre line (manually using the forward / backward stick) and keep the car at a fairly constant distance from the drone - while Spotlight [automatically] uses yaw and gimbal to keep the car in the frame.
Option 1 has the car close to the drone on two points of the track ... Option 2 has it close the whole way round ...
Option 2 is working like a combination of two modes ... Spotlight and 'Course Lock'
Have a play - and you'll find that this mode not only does what you want, but a whole lot more when you start to use the 3 stick directions that remain active (yaw stick is disabled) - along with tracking the moving object.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Ken K
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242