DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming Fireworks on the 4th?

For as valuable as the content is on this forum, I can't say I've been on a forum that's as negative regarding self-policing as this one.

Imagine if every post one put up showing off a new mod on a Corvette forum was met with,

"Way to go, now you've made your car faster. What's the point? The speed limit is 70. Now regulation will be tightened on speed limits nation wide if you go too fast."

The logic of some on this forum applied in the above context dictates that every car we buy should be capped at the speed limit, because clearly I'm not adult enough to determine my own usage parameters for my devices or excise responsibility. Clearly the situation doesn't exist where I'd want to use that vehicle off regulated roads where speed, emissions, etc. were irrelevant.

I worry as much about the novice flying their drone at altitudes in excess of guidelines, or situations that aren't deemed appropriate, as I do about the guy who passed me on the highway when I was already going 5 Mph over the limit. I've got no fear of that guy being made an example of, regulation changed, and being forced to drive slower during my next trip.

Agreed, and 80% of these people cryin use phones while driving, not to mention 100% break speed limit laws constantly !

Raw video, no editing, stright upload to You Tube.
Very 1st night flight and so this is a very nerve wracking experienced to me.
This is from around my location (home) last night.
Unfortunately, I was too far from where the actions were.
Sorry if it's a tad long vid (4+ mins).

Reactions: ceirsik and kc007
Here's mine:

Settings: 4K, 24 fps, white balance set to cloudy. Manual focus, manual exposure. ISO was 1600, shutter speed was 1/40th of a second.

Audio is synced from the video cached to DJI Go 4, recorded with the microphone on the iPad Air.

Edited with Adobe Premiere Pro, rendered with Adobe Media Encoder. Target bitrate was 35 mbps, max bitrate was 45 mbps. Single pass, VBR.

I pushed the ISO because I wanted detail on the ground. There's a little noise because of it, but it doesn't bother me given the overall effect. Life is full of compromises.

Thanks! This was my first attempt at shooting anything at night. I thought the Mavic camera did pretty well. It may not be as good as the camera on the Phantom 4 Pro, but it did an admirable job.

I did some video and stills and it was OK, but I probably wasn't close enough. But here's the weird part; I had a very difficult time landing the drone. I mean, it descended at around 0.5 feet per second and it seemed like it took forever to get it down from 200ft! Thought I was going to run out of battery. Is this due to ambient light being so low that it can't see the ground??

Love those videos, gives a totally different perspective..just FYI: on Friday, July 7th about 9:45pm I heard Grapevine TX Police radio traffic discussing a drone that flew thru the fireworks show. The city has a show at the lake every weekend. The area is very close to the DFW airport NFZ but much of the lake is west of the NFZ. They were attempting to follow and see where it would land. Fly safe my friends.

Here is a sample of some footage. Shot a lot but have to edit it. This is unedited downscaled to 1080P. Shot in 4K, 24fps, 1600 ISO, 50 shutter

This is my attempt at shooting fireworks and first time shooting at night. The majority of my footage was soft but interesting nontheless. Looking forward to doing more night shots when the opportunity arises.

For as valuable as the content is on this forum, I can't say I've been on a forum that's as negative regarding self-policing as this one.

Imagine if every post one put up showing off a new mod on a Corvette forum was met with,

"Way to go, now you've made your car faster. What's the point? The speed limit is 70. Now regulation will be tightened on speed limits nation wide if you go too fast."

The logic of some on this forum applied in the above context dictates that every car we buy should be capped at the speed limit, because clearly I'm not adult enough to determine my own usage parameters for my devices or excise responsibility. Clearly the situation doesn't exist where I'd want to use that vehicle off regulated roads where speed, emissions, etc. were irrelevant.

I worry as much about the novice flying their drone at altitudes in excess of guidelines, or situations that aren't deemed appropriate, as I do about the guy who passed me on the highway when I was already going 5 Mph over the limit. I've got no fear of that guy being made an example of, regulation changed, and being forced to drive slower during my next trip.

QFT and agree completely. Think for yourself. However I'd say dpreview.com forums are more negative.

This was mine. Sorry about using unauthorized music. Didn't plan to post on youtube, intended for private use only!

Reactions: TXHou
At an ISO of 200/400 and shutter of 1/60, IMO things are going to be awfully dark. Most of my flying is at night and while a shutter speed of 200/400 is good to minimize noise going to a higher ISO may be unavoidable in order to capture anything other than the initial burst from the fireworks, i.e. as the fireworks explode and the lights from it dissipate into thousands of small lights, those small lights may not be easily visible.

If Cyperbpower678 actually has filmed fireworks using 200/400 and 1/60 and it worked well, then I would say start there but monitor closely and be prepared to adjust.

So I did film some fireworks and did a test @ automatic settings which went to 3200 ISO and then manually set @ 400 ISO. Where I am located the western sky still is light when the fireworks started. @3200 ISO you can see the sky very well, albeit with lots of noise. @400 ISO everything was pitch black, sky completely black, and you could only make out some fireworks going off in the distance.

@Michael W. Video is:

ISO 400
Shutter 1/25
2.7k @24 FPS
Cloudy White Balance

Have to edit the other settings as well.

Yes, I saw your video, I am just not sure how you are getting so much light from the ground with 400 ISO. It is in stark contrast to what I experienced.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian