DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming Fireworks on the 4th?

Top Hat

Reactions
Anyone filming fireworks on the 4th please post your video here.
Let see who got the best footage.
For those "professional night flyers" give us a tip on camera settings!

Last edited:
Reactions: EsiMavic and kc007
Hey Cyber, any tips on camera setups on night flight?
The best I can give you in this case is make sure the background is illuminate, use no filters, set your shutter to 1/60, and use an ISO 200 or 400. You want to capture the brilliance of the fireworks, and not the background.

The best I can give you in this case is make sure the background is illuminate, use no filters, set your shutter to 1/60, and use an ISO 200 or 400. You want to capture the brilliance of the fireworks, and not the background.
why 1/60th? i would set it to 1/50th

At an ISO of 200/400 and shutter of 1/60, IMO things are going to be awfully dark. Most of my flying is at night and while a shutter speed of 200/400 is good to minimize noise going to a higher ISO may be unavoidable in order to capture anything other than the initial burst from the fireworks, i.e. as the fireworks explode and the lights from it dissipate into thousands of small lights, those small lights may not be easily visible.

If Cyperbpower678 actually has filmed fireworks using 200/400 and 1/60 and it worked well, then I would say start there but monitor closely and be prepared to adjust.

At an ISO of 200/400 and shutter of 1/60, IMO things are going to be awfully dark. Most of my flying is at night and while a shutter speed of 200/400 is good to minimize noise going to a higher shutter speed may be unavoidable in order to capture anything other than the initial burst from the fireworks, i.e. as the fireworks explode and the lights from it dissipate into thousands of small lights, those small lights may not be easily visible.

If Cyperbpower678 actually has filmed fireworks using 200/400 and 1/60 and it worked well, then I would say start there but monitor closely and be prepared to adjust.

Here's something I was messing around and shot last night

ISO 100 1/50th shutter

can you explain the shutter setting? I only see numbers from 25 to 8000 in my video settings for shutter.

I haven't had time to edit my video yet, but I'll post it later if it turns out well. In the meantime, here's a frame grab from it:

View media item 962
I'll add stats on camera settings later, too. But I disagree with the comment that you only want the fireworks and not the background. Seeing the background gives important context to night photos and videos.

At an ISO of 200/400 and shutter of 1/60, IMO things are going to be awfully dark. Most of my flying is at night and while a shutter speed of 200/400 is good to minimize noise going to a higher ISO may be unavoidable in order to capture anything other than the initial burst from the fireworks, i.e. as the fireworks explode and the lights from it dissipate into thousands of small lights, those small lights may not be easily visible.

Nope this will be my first time. I may experiment bringing the shutter speed down to 1/30. I know I'm risking messy footage, but it could be worth the reward.

I own a Mavic and I am afraid that some Mavic owners (or another type of drone) will do something stupid on 4th of July and ruin it for everyone.

Reactions: elliot29
I own a Mavic and I am afraid that some Mavic owners (or another type of drone) will do something stupid on 4th of July and ruin it for everyone.
Well my intentions are to fly away from the launch zone and pan around it slowly. I will be hovering over nothing for the most part.

Reactions: murad00
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan