DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally got good D-Log Color Correction

bgreenstone

Reactions
I've had my Mavic Pro Platinum for around 3 weeks and I've been playing with it non-stop. Best toy ever! However, I had been struggling getting my D-Log footage to look correct. By "correct" I mean as it appears to the naked eye. With a huge amount of work I was able to get semi-descent results in Final Cut Pro 10.4 by just manually tweaking everything. I tried other things like the Ground Control LUT, but those gave me horribly unrealistic results. I wanted to correct the video, not color grade it.

So, last weekend I bought the Icarus LUTs and as long as I shoot with their exact settings I get extremely good and quick results!

I just posted my first 4K test video showing the results using one of the Icarus LUTs:

The only manual tweaking I had to do was adjust the exposure and white balance, but the LUT took care of everything else and the video looks about as true-to-life as is possible.

The first half of the video is my processed movie, but the second half shows my workflow in Final Cut Pro 10.4 which got me to the desired results. Needless to say, I'm EXTREMELY happy with the Icarus LUT's. Perfect results with hardly any effort. I just have to remember to shoot the footage exactly how they recommend:

D-Log, +1, -1, 0, WB Sunny, EV +/- 0

-Brian

Reactions: Fmoots
That certainly looks good, however beware of thinking that every video needs the same treatment. Over time you see what works and what doesn't, and making manual changes becomes easier on a scene by scene basis.
Using the scopes effectively is very helpful for getting good colours and contrast

The before and after shot looks like a Mavic Pro VS Mavic Air Comparison :oops:

I've had my Mavic Pro Platinum for around 3 weeks and I've been playing with it non-stop. Best toy ever! However, I had been struggling getting my D-Log footage to look correct. By "correct" I mean as it appears to the naked eye. With a huge amount of work I was able to get semi-descent results in Final Cut Pro 10.4 by just manually tweaking everything. I tried other things like the Ground Control LUT, but those gave me horribly unrealistic results. I wanted to correct the video, not color grade it.

So, last weekend I bought the Icarus LUTs and as long as I shoot with their exact settings I get extremely good and quick results!

I just posted my first 4K test video showing the results using one of the Icarus LUTs:

The only manual tweaking I had to do was adjust the exposure and white balance, but the LUT took care of everything else and the video looks about as true-to-life as is possible.

The first half of the video is my processed movie, but the second half shows my workflow in Final Cut Pro 10.4 which got me to the desired results. Needless to say, I'm EXTREMELY happy with the Icarus LUT's. Perfect results with hardly any effort. I just have to remember to shoot the footage exactly how they recommend:

D-Log, +1, -1, 0, WB Sunny, EV +/- 0

-Brian
Nice. I also use the Icarus LUTs with FCPX 10.4. I rely mainly on D-LOG daylight + contrast LUT (I thought that was the one you used in the video) and record with what they recommend like you. I try to pay attention to the scopes when grading like 4wd mentioned. But, yeah, it is pretty quick and gives realistic looking results.

I've had my Mavic Pro Platinum for around 3 weeks and I've been playing with it non-stop. Best toy ever! However, I had been struggling ...

Nice little video Brian and good to see your workflow. Two things: 1. Where'd you get the nice banjo song? I really like it. And, 2. I'm finding that Mavic Pro Platinum is no mere toy. I compared the camera on it to my Inspire 2 and in some cases, it beat out the Inspire.
Camera Test: Mavic Platinum VS Inspire2 X4S

The Mavic Pro Platinum is a serious machine. I'm a professional photographer and I was pleasantly surprised that I could give the X4S camera on the Inspire 2 a run for its money.

Thanks again for your video. I enjoyed it.

The before and after shot looks like a Mavic Pro VS Mavic Air Comparison :oops:

Found the biased Mavic Air owner. The difference between the Pro and the Air's camera are quite small, and I'm saying this as an owner of both.

What ISO are you using? I just realized the MPP allows d-log at base ISO unlike the Phantom series.

Paul C

Found the biased Mavic Air owner. The difference between the Pro and the Air's camera are quite small, and I'm saying this as an owner of both.

I own a MP. It's good that you own both and are able to compare. I've just seen videos on YouTube and to me it always seemed that the MA had more colour.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98