DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

My 2cents worth.
Once you have upgraded make sure you are logged in on the GO 4 app.
Then it makes not a bit of difference when you shut everything off.
To all intents and purpose you are still "logged in" on the app.
After this you do not need internet or cellular access.
You can be in the mountains, wilderness, desert. With absolutely no access to these services but as long as you can get enough satellites you can fly and record as normal.
Why would you leave your phone in the car if you are going out anywhere to fly.
My Mavic is used as a flying camera not something to just fly around, although I do enjoy the occasional fly.
I love watching the screen to get my vicarious birds eye view.
There is way too much confusion regarding this update. It really is no big deal and I have yet to find any restrictions on my flying.
Lastly..... You only need to make sure you are logged in after you update, exactly the same process when you first activated the MP. No difference.
For now .... yes. But what about the future? What if they expand the Restricted Zones to 20 miles instead of 5 miles? The software says "Don't go there" and the new firmware upgrade say ... "Nope, we won't". I am not buying that there are any benefits to the user and now the long arm of enforcement can now reach out and bite you should they make the decision to do so. rightly or wrongly.

Reactions: Mavman and Forrest
If you fly in a legally placed NFZ through any means (such as not running NFZ-compliant app or firmware) then you're still breaking the law.

Accountability will catch up regardless of whether you update or not, and ignorance of a NFZ because you're deliberately running outdated software will probably result in a harsher penalty.

Last edited:
I had the experience of seeing how restrictive the firmware is (not sure which version I have - Let me know where I can find that) in being "Near NFZ" area and to, "Fly with caution." (at a beach with hardly anyone around and quite a ways away from general population) I saw a kite surfer coming up the beach line, about a hundred yards out in water and tried to get some footage of him surfing but the DJI 4 app gave me a prompt if I had permission to fly and I had a choice of answering "Yes" or "Cancel" so when I hit "Yes" it wanted me to fill out some information. By then the kite surfer was already past and it was no point in trying to catch up in "high wind velocity" and the "Kodak moment" was long gone.

However....I moved further away from the THAT beach by about 1.5 miles West and I was able to fly just fine but had no cell service out there. Then I had my Mavic fliming my vehicle along a deserted road (just getting cinematic footage) and upon getting near a service road I landed my Mavic on the side of the deserted road and retrieving my Mavic the app then connects to cell service and asks to update "Flight Restrictions" (then I hit "Decline") Anyone experience that?

Last edited:
I previously asked if this firmware update needs to be done individually, for each battery, because someone posted it was needed.

One person then replied yes, and a second said no.

I didn't see anything in the directions requiring an update for each individual smart battery.

I have updated the firmware using one battery, and the quad works fine. Do I now need to do the same firmware update with my other two batteries connected?

Can someone clarify please?

Mine did not take long at all from my PC using DJI Assistant maybe 5 minutes total if that.

The advantages I think are mostly going to be for the Goggles as I am sure they are still a work in progress, and a lot of them have not even shipped to the masses yet.

Other than putting you in DJI Jail, having been in the software and hardware business for over 30 years before I retired, companies do not put effort in upgrades for the sheer fun of it. They fix bugs and add features. Some do some stuff under the table to track your buying habits, find your location and other invasive things we do not like, but that is part of today's connected marketing, consumer driven life. While I do not like this, it really only affects those who for nefarious reasons want to stay under the radar and is the price the rest of us pay for technological advancement. Virtually every app on your phones do it, some are worse than others. Apple is the absolute worst cloself followed by Android and Social media a close third.

Ever noticed that when you buy something on line, the email address you used starts to get a lot more spam until the blockers do their work. They immediately sell your address to other vendors and organizations. Fact of life.

I can totally understand the restrictions when you dont have a videofeed..... who in their right state of mind would want to fly this tiny freaking thing out of LOS without a videostream anyway. Not me thats for sure. Ipad pro 12.9 everytime i go up. I mainly dont fly this to fly..... i fly to capture amazing **** from the air that you would normally never get to.

I previously asked if this firmware update needs to be done individually, for each battery, because someone posted it was needed.

One person then replied yes, and a second said no.

I didn't see anything in the directions requiring an update for each individual smart battery.

I have updated the firmware using one battery, and the quad works fine. Do I now need to do the same firmware update with my other two batteries connected?

Can someone clarify please?

Yup, you'll need to do it for each battery before you fly

I'm starting to read good things about the new codec having fixed the interframe flicker

What do I need to avoid the new firmware? Can I still update my DJI Go 4 on both Android and iOS or will this force me into also upgrading the firmware?

What do I need to avoid the new firmware? Can I still update my DJI Go 4 on both Android and iOS or will this force me into also upgrading the firmware?
It wont force you into doing the update (yet) on FW. Why would you want the new app and old FW you cant use the advanced functions without the FW upgrade so if you are not updating FW no point to update the app.

Reactions: scooot
If I don't connect to the internet then there is no way DJi can change my configuration as it is now, and I can fly any place. If I do upgrade the software and the firmware than I have given up my rights to DJ I to enlarge the restricted areas as they see fit or as they are told to do and the firmware will willing abide by those restrictions. It all seems very fishy to me. Yes I understand that nobody is having a problem now but the potential to be denied flying in the future is under DJi's control.
Not on my Mavic.

DJI does not have this ability.

Reactions: grizzard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness