DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

My only gripe with the latest FW(800) is that if I fly in a new area it will ask me to update NFZ zone, and if I use a tablet and don't have internet connection on it it's a problem.... And if I'm in an area where my 4g doesn't work on my phone (remote areas) then.... U can see the issue?
Are you sure you can't just decline or something and fly?

This would be the first I've heard that there was a situation where you absolutely had to have an internet connection to get past the flight restrictions (whether the 30/50m, or not being able to fly at all until updating NFZ data).

And if this proves to be true (rather than you're mistaken in some way), then .800 really really really really sucks way more than we thought.

I'm so stuck on .400, probably for the life of this aircraft.

Reactions: RAMJET-1
Are you sure you can't just decline or something and fly?

This would be the first I've heard that there was a situation where you absolutely had to have an internet connection to get past the flight restrictions (whether the 30/50m, or not being able to fly at all until updating NFZ data).

And if this proves to be true (rather than you're mistaken in some way), then .800 really really really really sucks way more than we thought.

I'm so stuck on .400, probably for the life of this aircraft.

I've tried everything, I am sure.

My only gripe with the latest FW(800) is that if I fly in a new area it will ask me to update NFZ zone, and if I use a tablet and don't have internet connection on it it's a problem.... And if I'm in an area where my 4g doesn't work on my phone (remote areas) then.... U can see the issue?

But does it NOT ALLOW you to fly if you don't update the NFZ zone? It may indicate in strong verbiage it needs an NFZ update, but are you certain it won't allow you to lift off?

But does it NOT ALLOW you to fly if you don't update the NFZ zone? It may indicate in strong verbiage it needs an NFZ update, but are you certain it won't allow you to lift off?
I can take-off fine and fly with strong verbage... It doesn't seem to care... I've done 2x flights where it "demands" to update the NFZ's, but it seems fine to fly regardless...

For anybody who is confused about the limitations set forth by the new firmware. If you live within 5 mi. of a NFZ - Class A (in USA - my experience), you will NOT be able to fly your drone (period). In other words, your new $1K toy is going to be useless in your yard, so don't expect to be able to show it off to your friend without driving outside of the 5 mi. radius. If you have already done this, you can downgrade your firmware (supposedly).

Last edited:
Looking for a quick answer here guys from a knowledgable member please.

I live in Vancouver,Canada which is all pretty much a no fly zone. These new Canadian drone laws are ridiculous.
If I update and I am in a NFZ, can I accept the responsibilities as before and fly?Or my mavic will not take off ?

If I update and I am in a NFZ, can I accept the responsibilities as before and fly?Or my mavic will not take off ?

No, absolutely not. I just upgraded and it crippled my drone, and I live on the very edge of a NFZ. It doesn't matter to DJI where the NFZ is, Canada, China, US...

Reactions: NaiveFlight
No, absolutely not. I just upgraded and it crippled my drone, and I live on the very edge of a NFZ. It doesn't matter to DJI where the NFZ is, Canada, China, US...
Well I better not upgrade then! I updated the dji go app not so long ago, will I need to downgrade the app?

I can lift off hut I cannot fly far or high st all I feel like. I'm in beginners mode. Downgrading soon, what a joke of an update

I wonder if downgrade will fix problem might be in bird for good.

For anybody who is confused about the limitations set forth by the new firmware. If you live within 5 mi. of a NFZ, you will NOT be able to fly your drone (period). In other words, your new $1K toy is going to be useless in your yard, so don't expect to be able to show it off to your friend without driving outside of the 5 mi. radius. If you have already done this, you can downgrade your firmware (supposedly).

That's just not true.

I did the .800 update over the weekend and now my video lags so badly I can't even use it. Should I try and revert to the previous version. The update went ok, it downloaded the geo update when I connected the mavic, but but now the video is horrible. Another odd thing is I used to get a airspace warning if I flew to the far end of a field I go to for testing but after the update I don't get the warning anymore

With each firmware DJI release for the drone including the DJI go app the quality gets worse and worse without a shadow of a doubt. i have upgraded since 550 to 700, each time im being burnt leaving me super disappointed. Really appalling service for something we pay a high premium on. most people on here as i have read run .400 still.
Im usually placid on these types of things but this is first time in a long time i have not felt the need to voice my concerns to a forum.

Guys and Gals we need to be making noise on this!
DJI need to get there act together.

Reactions: NaiveFlight
That's just not true.

Believe me, I would love to be wrong on this, but I was able to fly just fine right before the update. Please tell me what part of my statement is not true. I even went as far as trying to jump through the hoops of overriding NFZ, but NFZ that are red as seen here are not given permission.

View media item 844

Last edited:
Believe me, I would love to be wrong on this, but I was able to fly just fine right before the update. Please tell me what part of my statement is not true. I even went as far as trying to jump through the hoops of overriding NFZ, but NFZ that are red as seen here are not given permission.

View media item 844

What I mean is that it's not true for everyone. Certainly not true for me (in U.K. if that makes any difference).

View media item 844

Ah, we are at cross purposes. I've just noticed you're referring to Category A, but I'm referring to Category B. I wouldn't know how it's changed with Cat A as I don't live near one. What I do know is that Cat B hasn't changed.

so do you mean you have to update your NFZ before it can take off?

so do you mean you have to update your NFZ before it can take off?

If you go to a new area, the app will ask to update NFZ zone. If you choose to ignore you will be handicapped in terms or heights/distance, similar to beginners mode.

If you do update it will let you fly there. But thay requires a web connection, if you have a tablet or your in poor reception area.... Good luck. Total garbage

Ah, we are at cross purposes. I've just noticed you're referring to Category A, but I'm referring to Category B. I wouldn't know how it's changed with Cat A as I don't live near one. What I do know is that Cat B hasn't changed.

I should have clarified in my original post that I was referring to Cat A., but thought NFZ covered it. Your statement about it not being true also creates more confusion, because people will think of the statement in general. I'll edit my original post to include Cat A. Please edit your post about not being true for Cat B. etc.

Something to note. Looking at the DJI site with regards to NFZ, it seems that I am getting NFZ and unable to take off even though I am outside of the 1.5 mi. circle. The way the diagram reads, it should be NFZ within 1.5 mi. radius and taper off altitude (35 ft. to 400 ft.) restrictions outside of 1.5 mi. until the 5 mi. radius. Seems like a firmware bug to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones