DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware caution.

Gray52

Reactions
I updated to the lastest firmware, left it doing its thing, all going good then mavic completely shut off! Thought part of the update....but no it had got so hot I couldn't touch the heat sink! Left it 5 min then turned it on and cooling fan then worked, so for some reason the cooling fan had not cut in while updating. Update resumed and all is fine, if that happens mid flight in a hot country then it's finished. So just check your cooling fans cuts in within 5 min of any update or just on your table turned on.

Reactions: RIR
Yeah I had a mavic die during an update to 1.3.900
Had to change the core board

Its when it flashes the 801 or 802 module (the core board) the fan stops and a few people have had it freeze at that point

Best to have a fan in front of the mavic when updating

Reactions: Zyskman78
Anybody contacted DJI about this issue? And what they say to improve thier update?

I contacted them when mine died, they said send it in for analysis, then they contacted me to ask for money to fix it, I then got them to send it back as is & fixed it myself

O really, makes me not to roll the update at this time.. Thanks for your info

Last edited:
I wend DJI website and I COULD NOT FIND firmware that you mention( 1.3.900) when it was release?

Mavic Pro Release Notes
Mavic Pro - Wherever you go
Copyright © 2017 DJI All Rights Reserved. 3
Date : 2017.06.22
Firmware : v01.03.0900
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.1.2
DJI GO 4 App Android : v4.1.2
What’s New?
 Fixed DNG file white balance issues when shooting in Portrait mode.
This firmware is also an update for DJI Goggles:
 Updated the user interface to indicate aircraft nose positioning when using Head Tracking Gimbal and
aircraft range when using Head Tracking Flight.
 Added imperial units and camera grids as options.
 Fixed an issue where certain Camera View information wouldn't display with an HDMI connection.
Notes:
 Restart the aircraft and remote controller after upgrade is complete.
 Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude and
Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI GO 4
settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.
 If the firmware upgrade fails, restart aircraft, remote controller and DJI GO 4 or DJI Assistant 2, and
retry.

Reactions: ASM_DJI001
The overheating possibility during certain firmware upgrades and user attempts to change flight restriction parameters is well documented in the RCGroups.com "Dashboard Mods" thread.

To be on the safe side its "highly" recommended to always keep the Mavic airflow vents away from obstructions AND to use a small fan near the Mavic when performing these operations.

P.S. Its also wise to wait out upgrades attempts and not shut down upgrade attempts early. Aborting upgrades when the process seems like its not completing has been a major reason for failed upgrade attempts.

P.S. Its also wise to wait out upgrades attempts and not shut down upgrade attempts early. Aborting upgrades when the process seems like its not completing has been a major reason for failed upgrade attempts.
When mine died I used this mentality & that's why it died, when it froze at the same place on my other mavic with a different update I turned it off for 20mins and it worked with a mismatch and flashed ok the 2nd time

So leaving it on isn't always the best option

Reactions: flight_tee
When mine died I used this mentality & that's why it died, when it froze at the same place on my other mavic with a different update I turned it off for 20mins and it worked with a mismatch and flashed ok the 2nd time

So leaving it on isn't always the best option
Can not disagree.... I've read of instances similar to yours and have come to realize that unfortunately there's no one best way to handle "stuck" upgrades...bottom line is you take your chances whenever you upgrade/downgrade firmware.

P.S. Was your first Mavic actually bricked or were you able to fix the problem?

Core board died, don't think it bricked more cooked itself, either killed a processor or knackered some solder

Quad808's advice about always using a fan as backup cooling when up/downgrading firmware doesn't get anywhere near enough attention.

P.S. Your name sounds familiar.... u the same guy that's on slack?

P.S. Your name sounds familiar.... u the same guy that's on slack?
its a unique name, I've only found someone else using it once, I'm on slack yes

Years ago it was my online identity, I had no personal info online but now everything has to be linked to a phone number etc so there are now links to me online with real info

If it gets that hot and turns off, move it some where cool or cold. Wait 10min and if it turns on the firmware will restart and my cooling fan cut in. I've tried it several times since and the cooling fan has worked within 5min in the house. So all fine and no problems on the new firmware. Just check regularly that your cooling fan works, even if your firmware did go ok.

Holy cow I read all this updating stories and all it does is keep me from updating firmware, along with DJI trying to control where I fly my Mavic.

I love the Mavic and the way it works, but am not a fan of DJI and their faulty updates.

Holy cow I read all this updating stories and all it does is keep me from updating firmware, along with DJI trying to control where I fly my Mavic.

I love the Mavic and the way it works, but am not a fan of DJI and their faulty updates.

I feel the same way.
The really sad part is that I am told if you update to 1.04.0100 then that's it, you cannot downgrade. At this point I see absolutely no reason why anybody would go past 1.04.000
and lose out on the ability to unshackle themselves in the future from DJI. You may not want to unshackle now but at some point you may want to and after 1.04.0100 your SOL as far as options go.

Rob

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I feel the same way.
The really sad part is that I am told if you update to 1.04.0100 then that's it, you cannot downgrade. At this point I see absolutely no reason why anybody would go past 1.04.000
and lose out on the ability to unshackle themselves in the future from DJI. You may not want to unshackle now but at some point you may want to and after 1.04.0100 your SOL as far as options go.

Rob
Why would you want to "downgrade"? I have seen no need so far!

Why would you want to "downgrade"? I have seen no need so far!

FW above .900 doesn't let you edit parameters, such as max altitude, max ascent/descent rates, max speed, and many others. Essentially, your Mavic is crippled - it can do much more in reality but they put you in a "box" of artificial/superficial limits. It's like you buy a new car and they wedge a brick under the gas pedal, limiting you to 30mph. Happy with it? Good for ya! But there are many who aren't.

Reactions: Robbyg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22