DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware v01.04.0400? Issues?

How has your experience been with the latest version of firmware 1.04.0400?

• I have updated and had no problems with the install or operation afterwards.

Votes: 74 67.3%
  • I have updated and had some problems with the install but got it working afterwards.

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • I have attempted the update, and it wont complete the install but my Mavic still works.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I have attempted the update, and it wont complete the install and my Mavic doesnt work now..

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
The DJI Assistant 2 program (run on your PC) shows options to revert to 2 or 3 previous firmware revisions. That's the program I use to update firmware, not the phone app. I've only upgraded firmware, never tried to revert to an older one myself.

Thought I'd upgrade my firmware after travelling for a few months. I've been using my Mavic Pro all over North America the past year and never had an issue with it, always update the firmware when I see the notification.

This time it seemed to have been a mistake to run the update.. It took ages to actually update, various network disconnected messages and app crashes during upgrade. It eventually installed though.

After one flight with a Pixel 2XL, the app crashed and wont launch at all now. Not a firmware issue, but annoying. I went back to using my Nexus 6P as it's got an older version of Android running. Go 4 works, but video feed is laggy, glitchy green pixels and artifacts everywhere, and I lose video entirely after a minute or so. Drone remains controllable, but no video feed so composing shots becomes guesswork..

I've tried three new cables, using a replacement side cable and two new USB-C cables (one Samsung, one fancy braided Anker) connected to the bottom USB port, identical behaviour.

I thought it might be interference, but checked and as I live in the middle of a farm, the only WiFi AP around is mine, and I'm miles from any powerlines or towns.

I tried with my iPad Pro too, but that won't even connect to the video feed in the first place.. All telemetry is shown in the all, just a blank video feed.

Fortunately all footage looks normal when I copy it from the SD. Just have to be patient and wait for a fix I guess.

Upgrade to 1.04.0400 was difficult and didn't work the first time. DJI GO 4 and RC have been upgraded also. Since then, a lot of issues regarding Mavic control. I lost trust in the reliability of the airborne now. Last issue of today: no more camera signal nor gimbal movement! DJI did well until last release but obviously their Quality Assurance controls have changed ! BE CAREFUL with this unfortunate release !

Last issue of today: no more camera signal nor gimbal movement!

I had gimbal issues today too.. Had to press the or for times to get the camera to flick into the downward position. Then it wouldn't flick back, so I had to do it manually by wheeling the camera back up to horizontal. Never had an issue/delay with that before.

Like you said, seemingly lacking QA this time. Feels like a beta release.

Sorry in advance for the long post, but I had a spare afternoon so did some experimenting. Tentatively positive outcome!

I was about to try the downgrade from 0400 via Assistant 2 (v1.2.4 for MacOS), as unlike other users have seen, it shows earlier versions as downgradeable for me, I can go back as far as V01.04.0100.

Anyway, I thought I ought to go through and eliminate other issues I've seen mentioned as possible causes before I did that:
  • Different cables - I tried three, both side and bottom connector, still get the green pixellation, gimbal control lag and loss of signal in a couple of minutes. Also observed that the "LANDING" message on the controller was delayed until a few seconds after I'd already landed the drone this time, so it seems all smartphone-driven control or status outputs from the device are being delayed.
  • I tried two different phones - I only have two Android phones at the moment; a Pixel 2XL running Android 9, and a Nexus 6P. I tried the Pixel first, and it was fine for around 8 minutes before the pixellation, lag and video connection was lost. The Nexus 6P only made it to just over a minute and a half before the same thing happened. I repeated this twice, and the Nexus 6P always lasted barely a third of the time that the 2XL did before glitching up.
  • I reformatted the SD card after each attempt, didn't make a difference.
  • I checked the signal interference, as although I'm on a farm in the middle of nowhere, you never know. The interference line was flat at the bottom of the graph - no interference.
  • I switched both phones into airplane mode before testing, no effect on the outcome either way.
So that yielded no positive result, and the drone was pretty hot by this point so I swapped batteries, and decided to try the one last thing before the firmware downgrade - a 9.7in iPad Pro, with a brand new lightning cable. I'd tried the iPad before but the cable was frayed, and I wasn't able to get any image at all in DJI Go 4. It seems that the cable was toast, as the new cable has resolved the issue. Even though the drone was running super hot, and the iPad got a little warm by the end due to being in direct sunlight in 30-degree heat, I had no video drop-outs, no gimbal lag and fewer jitters than I've ever seen from my drone this past year of owning it!

Given that the more powerful Android phone took longer to lose the video feed, I have a hypothesis: The new more secure way that the Mavic is now controlled relies on a stronger encryption within the control protocol that is run on the smartphone. That would explain why the lag and issues kick in way later on the newer and more powerful Pixel 2XL, than the older and slower Nexus 6P. Due to either CPU optimisation issues, or RAM filling up, and the encryption/decryption process being labour intensive, more and more of the signal is being buffered up until either a GC event takes place, or the app itself determines that the deficit is too large to recover from, and kills the video receiving process.

The iPad Pro, being way more powerful might just be able to deal with the process more easily. Or it could be that the type of decryption done on the video signal is just more efficient in the iOS app version.

Either way it's only a partial fix, because I'm not going to bring a full-size iPad with me everywhere I go to fly my drone, but at least I have an option to make it work now, and can (so far, three times without a failure since) repeatably prevent the issue.

Also hopeful that it's something that can be fixed with an Android app update, and not a firmware upgrade! Seems to just be an optimisation issue.

Problems with FW are gone in my case. They were caused by my tablet : Huawei MediaPad T3 7. It is no more compatible with the new FW for Mavic. It is somehow annoying. You have a product and suddenly you need to buy a new one, because it is no more compatible. Other surprise was that the FW update for remote controller should be with the App. It is not possible with DJI assistant 2. It was not a defect in remote Controller either. Is there an "official" list of compatible Phones or Tablets? German DJI technical suppurt said to me the Hawei P10 plus is not recommended. It is on the list of Mavic Air Pilots. It was the model I wanted to buy.
All this is a total chaos for me.

Ask them if they can give you a link to a FW that will allow you to reinstall FW that work prior to the latest. I've seen them done this before for several users that has the same issue.
Worth a try.
I found out finally the cause (in my case, of course). My tablet Huawei MediaPad T3 7 is no more compatible with the new FM. I tried with a Samsung phone and every thing ran well. Now I have to buy a new phone or tablet. I am asking me, what can happen in the future with a new FM update from DJI if I buy a different model?

I found out finally the cause (in my case, of course). My tablet Huawei MediaPad T3 7 is no more compatible with the new FM. I tried with a Samsung phone and every thing ran well. Now I have to buy a new phone or tablet. I am asking me, what can happen in the future with a new FM update from DJI if I buy a different model?

If you buy a new phone and get your drone and video working good without any gremlins don’t do a firmware change again .

Yes. You can find the same list on the Mavic Air downloads page.
I wouldn't take that list too literally, as my Nexus 6P (factory reset, airplane mode, no other app installs besides the default Google bloatware) performs the worst, my Samsung S8 (also listed as supported) lasts a little longer, but still loses the video feed within 5mins of take-off, even when it's a few metres away from me. That page on the DJI site hasn't been updated since summer 2017 judging by the vintage of devices mentioned.

In the DJI developers' defence, assuring Android compatibility is very difficult generally as you might be running on any number of devices you've never seen before, running all kinds of themes, skins, aftermarket task managers and un-killable manufacturer-signed background services chewing through processor cycles. Not to mention variations in hardware drivers, which are involved whether you're in WiFi or RC mode (USB).

At the moment the Go 4 App is problematic on Google's current flagship, stock Android device, which should have the least of these complications. Older devices are likely no longer able to keep up with the app's processing demands due to the inefficient encryption routines running since the "Increased the aircraft data's security" release note, newer/faster devices can compensate by having more processing power and RAM available, but will still experience problems on longer flights. In my experience that is.

I wouldn't take that list too literally, as my Nexus 6P (factory reset, airplane mode, no other app installs besides the default Google bloatware) performs the worst, my Samsung S8 (also listed as supported) lasts a little longer, but still loses the video feed within 5mins of take-off, even when it's a few metres away from me. That page on the DJI site hasn't been updated since summer 2017 judging by the vintage of devices mentioned.
Right, it's not best list of available devices. However, it is DJI's official list of supported mobile devices.

Reactions: noln
If you buy a new phone and get your drone and video working good without any gremlins don’t do a firmware change again .
yes you are right, but what would happen with the warranty, if I do not upgrade FM?

what would happen with the warranty, if I do not upgrade FM?
DJI will still honor their warranty if you're running an old firmware version. Firmware updates are optional.

Reactions: NinjaNut
I am not sure. I asked in DJI Support for an old FM version to downdate. They are ready to send it to me, but under my own risk!

Here a copy of the answer I got, when we still thought it was a HW-Problem:
I can give you an older DJI GO Version. But it will not fix your problem, because it didn't look like an firmware problem.
And you have to agree: You are using this firmware at own risk.

Best regards
Technical Support
DJI GmbH

After completing the download of the latest firmware (V01.04.0400) today, I started getting a lot of error messages - starting with System Warning - Check APP & Calibrate IMU Required (on RC). Also, IMU won't calibrate - I get: IMU1: Calibration Failed, Automatic Orientation Error (Error Code -71); IMU2: Calibration Failed, Unknown Error (Error Code -45). Sensor Bias Too Large, Place aircraft on a flat level surface to Calibrate IMU (on Iphone 6s).

I tried to calibrate the IMU on several surfaces inside and outside the house - no joy - doesn't get past the first step and the error messages start coming.

I've never had this problem before and it started upon completion of the firmware update. Aircraft never wrecked. I flew it last weekend and everything worked fine.

Aircraft/RC & Iphone all 100% charged.

I did a firmware refresh and same problem. Updated firmware to previous version (0300) and same issue. Updated firmware back to 0400 and same issue. Now I'm stuck!

This aircraft is a (new) replacement from DJI due to issues with gimble on first one they sent me - still less than a year old.

Now I'm having to work through DJI service/support/repair - if anything like last time I'm in for a real pain.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome - both with the firmware issue and dealing with DJI. Can anybody point me to someone at DJI that has been helpful to them?

Also, the DJI site for repair asks for a proof of purchase - EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE MY ACCOUNT INFORMATION!! What do they want? my purchase order Detail?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Here a copy of the answer I got, when we still thought it was a HW-Problem:
I can give you an older DJI GO Version. But it will not fix your problem, because it didn't look like an firmware problem.
And you have to agree: You are using this firmware at own risk.

Best regards
Technical Support
DJI GmbH
After completing the download of the latest firmware (V01.04.0400) today, I started getting a lot of error messages - starting with System Warning - Check APP & Calibrate IMU Required (on RC). Also, IMU won't calibrate - I get: IMU1: Calibration Failed, Automatic Orientation Error (Error Code -71); IMU2: Calibration Failed, Unknown Error (Error Code -45). Sensor Bias Too Large, Place aircraft on a flat level surface to Calibrate IMU (on Iphone 6s).

I tried to calibrate the IMU on several surfaces inside and outside the house - no joy - doesn't get past the first step and the error messages start coming.

I've never had this problem before and it started upon completion of the firmware update. Aircraft never wrecked. I flew it last weekend and everything worked fine.

Aircraft/RC & Iphone all 100% charged.

I did a firmware refresh and same problem. Updated firmware to previous version (0300) and same issue. Updated firmware back to 0400 and same issue. Now I'm stuck!

This aircraft is a (new) replacement from DJI due to issues with gimble on first one they sent me - still less than a year old.

Now I'm having to work through DJI service/support/repair - if anything like last time I'm in for a real pain.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome - both with the firmware issue and dealing with DJI. Can anybody point me to someone at DJI that has been helpful to them?

Also, the DJI site for repair asks for a proof of purchase - EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE MY ACCOUNT INFORMATION!! What do they want? my purchase order Detail?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

#99BradBowers, A moment ago

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111