DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First attempt at a video from the drone

Very good for a first video. I personally didn't like the out of focus corners in some parts, but I guess that's just me and others may like that style.

Reactions: hedbonker
I thought it was pretty good and the previous post beat me to saying "you're probably going to catch some flak for the tilt shift" but I think it's ok because I can kinda see the theme that you were trying to portray.

I tend to frame for 2.4 when I shoot with the drone unless it's stills. Just habit from shooting with a "ground based" camera :)

Very nicely edited, it flows well from clip to clip. You got some good shots. I watched until the end, which is a compliment in itself. You avoided excessively long clips that make things drag.

The music supports the video without distracting; it's well synced.

The first clip with the foreground in shadow is, to me, the weakest of them all. Later, the blurring effect doesn't fit well with the rest. The "Legoland" effect is interesting but doesn't mix well with conventional video.

The title popup at about 1:35 is a bit abrupt. And you might want to consider shortening or removing what follows.

If that's your first video effort, I'd say that you're a very fast learner. I'll look forward to what's next.

Nice video I enjoyed watching it.
I wonder how close you could get to the Reagan Library without setting off Alarms. Its such a cool Building!

Nice video I enjoyed watching it.
I wonder how close you could get to the Reagan Library without setting off Alarms. Its such a cool Building!
I wondered that as well but was unwilling to test it out heh.

I tend to frame for 2.4 when I shoot with the drone unless it's stills. Just habit from shooting with a "ground based" camera :)
Part of the problem is that I have guilty knowledge and know it's a 16:9 lens. But when I suspend disbelief, I think the shots work well with the wider aspect ratio. I think I'm also jaded from all crazy anamorphic trend in videography.

• Love
B4YouFly shows no warnings or restrictions. Same for the Carter Presidential Library in Atlanta.

View attachment 171683
And technically it's private property - Simi Valley restricts drone flight to 5 parks in the city but the library does not fall within that. I would be inclined to ask permission and offer them copies of the footage.

Reactions: Cafguy
Part of the problem is that I have guilty knowledge and know it's a 16:9 lens. But when I suspend disbelief, I think the shots work well with the wider aspect ratio. I think I'm also jaded from all crazy anamorphic trend in videography.
Just wanted to let you know that you're YouTube link doesn't work.

Indeed there is an odd current trend in videography to shoot inexpensive anamorphic optics like Sirui's offerings. I guess folks like the distortion and flares that you get. For me, most landscape stuff - not all but a lot, will benefit from a 2.4:1 frame.

Not bad for a first try, I think you have the flow down like @MS Coast said, the shots weren't too long. The only thing I would add is to watch the fast pans and make sure you are following the 180 degree shutter rule to avoid strobing on pans and top down fly overs. It probably doesn't show much on a smaller screen but it will on a larger screen.

IMHO it was a GREAT job I loved myself I’m new to flying drones I used to take lots of photos with still cameras back before the digital age I couldn’t tell what to do to improve on it because it all looked and sounded great to me I everything I need but have not tried to put a video clip together yet when I do I hope it looks as good as your video

• Love
Not bad for a first try, I think you have the flow down like @MS Coast said, the shots weren't too long. The only thing I would add is to watch the fast pans and make sure you are following the 180 degree shutter rule to avoid strobing on pans and top down fly overs. It probably doesn't show much on a smaller screen but it will on a larger screen.
Thanks. Those pans were added in post with a speed ramp so you tend not to get any strobing by doing it that way.

I enjoyed the video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N