DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash – indoors

New thread NO Reply quicker question.

Why is there no right or left gimble control. The gimble moves in all directions on booting up. Just wondering
CD

New thread NO Reply quicker question.

Why is there no right or left gimble control. The gimble moves in all directions on booting up. Just wondering
CD
You can move the gimbal manually in all directions: Just tap and hold the screen on your connected device, showing the camera feed... then move your finger to the desired direction while still holding.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpinItUp
I promised you an update... and here it is.

DJI checked my drone and quoted "Description of fault found: - No Warranty - crash - flew indoor, GPS lost and drifting is always possible - craft defective // after repair/replacement, faulty unit or parts will not be returned"

They did not answer further questions and charged me approx. 100 € for a broken arm, 4 propellers and the repair fee. I'm not really satisfied with the short answer they gave me. I got more information here in this thread and I think you helped me a lot. So thank you again.

The good thing is: I got a brand new drone as a replacement, not a repaired one. So I can start all over and apply my lessons learnt in my future flights with a new drone.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Never fly your drone inside anywhere...END OF STORY.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. After watching all of the inside crashes in those "Epic Drone Crash" video's on Youtube ... that scared the holy c**p out of me ... there's no way I'm flying either of my drones indoors ... EVER!

I promised you an update... and here it is.

DJI checked my drone and quoted "Description of fault found: - No Warranty - crash - flew indoor, GPS lost and drifting is always possible - craft defective // after repair/replacement, faulty unit or parts will not be returned"

They did not answer further questions and charged me approx. 100 € for a broken arm, 4 propellers and the repair fee. I'm not really satisfied with the short answer they gave me. I got more information here in this thread and I think you helped me a lot. So thank you again.

The good thing is: I got a brand new drone as a replacement, not a repaired one. So I can start all over and apply my lessons learnt in my future flights with a new drone.
Did you have DJI refresh or no? If not, I'm surprised you got a new drone for the cost of the damaged parts and repair fee.

Did you have DJI refresh or no? If not, I'm surprised you got a new drone for the cost of the damaged parts and repair fee.
No, I do not have a DJI refresh ... maybe it's just less effort and it's faster to ship a new drone?

I know this practice from other companies, including Apple, who prefer to send a new phone instead of repairing it.

At my drone there was not really broken much, luckily. But perhaps it is still easier to send them to another location for disassembly or have them repaired by workers on a part time basis... I don't know. Just speculating.

You should realize that is a free one. That was 100% pilot error in my opinion.
Sorry if I come across strong.

That is likely the outcome if you try it again.

If you want to film indoors just carry the Mavic or get a gimbal mechanism.

The space has to be set up to fly indoors to avoid overreaction by the M2. It switches back and fourth from VPS to GPS baro etc... in a confined space with many micro altitudinal objects like coffee tables uneven floors stairs within VPS and sensor range.

The M2 will fly down a long hallway out of sight with no problem once the positioning system has a reliable reading.

It will only go strait down the hall and rotate 180’ and come back very reliably for me. No drifting no nothing.

I hope this helps.

The M200 series is the same. Just bigger and very very stable as well.

Reactions: calmar81
I very much doubt this would have happened if you were only flying indoors in Tripod Mode? Anyway you got a pretty good result in the end, a brand new drone!

I very much doubt this would have happened if you were only flying indoors in Tripod Mode? Anyway you got a pretty good result in the end, a brand new drone!

Yes, maybe Tripod mode may have helped... and also prop guards.

But the main problem was, as far as I understand the posts here and also what the (very kind and supportive) DJI support here in Germany told me, that the mode was switching fast from GPS to ATTI and back. Maybe there is a short interval during transition of the modes where the sensors or the system are not able to actually „see“ the obstacle.

So maybe also the lateral sensors would have been distracted?

I'm not sure about the sensors getting distracted because this would negate having them in the first place. They should always have priority in my opinion. Maybe whats coming out of this is that maybe the motherboard is getting overloaded from the constant auto switching between modes, and this causes issues like the sensors not working as intended.

Maybe DJI should consider that peeps will use these flying cameras indoors and give us an Indoor Mode of flight?

I'm not sure about the sensors getting distracted because this would negate having them in the first place. They should always have priority in my opinion. Maybe whats coming out of this is that maybe the motherboard is getting overloaded from the constant auto switching between modes, and this causes issues like the sensors not working as intended.

Maybe DJI should consider that peeps will use these flying cameras indoors and give us an Indoor Mode of flight?
I think that would be a lot like ATTI mode... because if I understand this mode‘s description correctly, the system just relies on its onboard sensors and (vision) systems?

I think that would be a lot like ATTI mode... because if I understand this mode‘s description correctly, the system just relies on its onboard sensors and (vision) systems?

ATTI does not use the vision system.

ATTI does not use the vision system.
The new firmware just posted still does not change that? There is absolutely no way to turn off gps and fly an optical avoidance mode alone?
When in the basement with no gps signal it turns on 'opto path' and is stable in that mode. But an intermittent gps signal is indeed dangerous - is there any way to turn it off by force?

The new firmware just posted still does not change that? There is absolutely no way to turn off gps and fly an optical avoidance mode alone?
When in the basement with no gps signal it turns on 'opto path' and is stable in that mode. But an intermittent gps signal is indeed dangerous - is there any way to turn it off by force?

You can select ATTI mode but there is no way to force OPTI mode as far as I'm aware. But note that doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

You can select ATTI mode but there is no way to force OPTI mode as far as I'm aware. But note that doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

How to select ATTI mode? And what about covering your drone with Aluminum foil?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000