DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First daring flight!!!

f13dfx

Reactions
Since all of Metro Vancouver is pretty well a NFZ, I drove 1-1/2 hours up to Whistler to this beautiful old bridge over some rapids. Very impressed by the M2P's obstacle avoidance because as I was preparing for Tap Fly, I accidentally hit the GO button when the M2P was about 10 feet right in front of the bridge. Had the front sensors not worked, it would have been goodbye drone :eek:.

Sorry for no audio, but just familiarizing myself with Adobe Premiere Pro and applying the official DJI LUT. Video was taken in Dlog-M, H265, Sunny, 24p, Style Standard, ISO100, Aperture 4.5, Shutter 1/50 using Freewell's ND16 filter.

Any advice on how I could have improved my settings above would be greatly appreciated!

Since all of Metro Vancouver is pretty well a NFZ, I drove 1-1/2 hours up to Whistler to this beautiful old bridge over some rapids. Very impressed by the M2P's obstacle avoidance because as I was preparing for Tap Fly, I accidentally hit the GO button when the M2P was about 10 feet right in front of the bridge. Had the front sensors not worked, it would have been goodbye drone :eek:.

Sorry for no audio, but just familiarizing myself with Adobe Premiere Pro and applying the official DJI LUT. Video was taken in Dlog-M, H265, Sunny, 24p, Style Standard, ISO100, Aperture 4.5, Shutter 1/50 using Freewell's ND16 filter.

Any advice on how I could have improved my settings above would be greatly appreciated!

nice

Looks about right on your settings. Love that scenery ?

If I may lend some suggestions…

Camera Settings
I personally don't mind the blown out highlights in the water, and with a tough dynamic range to capture, I think you did as best you could. If you have similar lighting/scene in the future, I would try a higher ND filter, maybe 64 or 128, with the same settings and bring your highlights down (use your histogram, it's your best friend!). You can always adjust exposure in post, to bring it back up just enough to not blow out your highlights (although waves are the toughest) and then use your tone adjustments in Premier to bring up your shadows and perhaps a nudge or 2 on your blacks.

Gimbal Settings
Just a tip, but what helped me during a shot I really wanted was to lower the yaw sensitivity in the app settings so the pan is a lot smoother. Although I recommend when practicing you keep it faster and as you learn you won't be "as restricted" as you would be when the speed is lowered.
Here is a longer thread on the topic

Looks about right on your settings. Love that scenery ?

If I may lend some suggestions…

Camera Settings
I personally don't mind the blown out highlights in the water, and with a tough dynamic range to capture, I think you did as best you could. If you have similar lighting/scene in the future, I would try a higher ND filter, maybe 64 or 128, with the same settings and bring your highlights down (use your histogram, it's your best friend!). You can always adjust exposure in post, to bring it back up just enough to not blow out your highlights (although waves are the toughest) and then use your tone adjustments in Premier to bring up your shadows and perhaps a nudge or 2 on your blacks.

Gimbal Settings
Just a tip, but what helped me during a shot I really wanted was to lower the yaw sensitivity in the app settings so the pan is a lot smoother. Although I recommend when practicing you keep it faster and as you learn you won't be "as restricted" as you would be when the speed is lowered.
Here is a longer thread on the topic
Thank you so much! I will work on these pointers on my next shoot! ??

Reactions: Bahnfiya
Cool vid! Nice river for a swim! xx

Near that same area is a bungy jump bridge. Videoing that from a safe distance might be cool... Follow the jumper down....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmy poole