DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First day with Mini 4 Pro. Returning it tomorrow.

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm bummed. Already sold my Mini 3 pro. The Mini 4 Pro has (at least mine did) an unbelievable amount of flare when it is angled anywhere near the sun. I have the FPV, Avata, Mavic Air, Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro and none of them exhibit the kind of extreme flare this does. I flew it and followed up with a flight with my Mavic 3 Pro and it was a world of difference. I am confident it would have been the same with my Mini 3 as I NEVER saw the kind of excessive flair I did with the Mini 4. So sad. Pics later perhaps but I won't keep this and if I asked for an exchange it would probably put me past the return time so it has to go back entirely.

The Mini lineup has always suffered from more flare, my Mini 3 Pro and now Mini 4 Pro exhibit about the same amount which isn't surprising since it's the same camera. I still find the image quality excellent for *MY* tastes and purposes... I would clearly own the Air 3 (or even a Mavic 3 series) if size didn't matter but it does, and the Mini 4 Pro offers me much of the functionality of the high end drones in an impossible to beat size and weight for travel. If I was flying out of the trunk of my car or willing to adds bags and weight to my travels the entire equation would be different and I understand with a fleet like yours you might not be satisfied.

Does using a ND filter make any difference?
I do not know if there is any possibility to fit a ND filter to the camera of the Mini 4.
I fly the Mavic Pro with filter attached, there is a big difference in picture quality.

Ruud

Does using a ND filter make any difference?
I do not know if there is any possibility to fit a ND filter to the camera of the Mini 4.
I fly the Mavic Pro with filter attached, there is a big difference in picture quality.

Ruud
None of the DJI filters are available yet but that would make no difference to me.

Reactions: projectarjun
The Mini lineup has always suffered from more flare, my Mini 3 Pro and now Mini 4 Pro exhibit about the same amount which isn't surprising since it's the same camera. I still find the image quality excellent for *MY* tastes and purposes... I would clearly own the Air 3 (or even a Mavic 3 series) if size didn't matter but it does, and the Mini 4 Pro offers me much of the functionality of the high end drones in an impossible to beat size and weight for travel. If I was flying out of the trunk of my car or willing to adds bags and weight to my travels the entire equation would be different and I understand with a fleet like yours you might not be satisfied.
I've never seen that kind of flare with my Mini 3 Pro. Maybe I was just lucky. If so this goes back. I have 5 other drones I can use. If this is "normal" I'm shocked and very sorry I sold my much better Mini 3 Pro.

Reactions: projectarjun
I'm bummed. Already sold my Mini 3 pro. The Mini 4 Pro has (at least mine did) an unbelievable amount of flare when it is angled anywhere near the sun. I have the FPV, Avata, Mavic Air, Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro and none of them exhibit the kind of extreme flare this does. I flew it and followed up with a flight with my Mavic 3 Pro and it was a world of difference. I am confident it would have been the same with my Mini 3 as I NEVER saw the kind of excessive flair I did with the Mini 4. So sad. Pics later perhaps but I won't keep this and if I asked for an exchange it would probably put me past the return time so it has to go back entirely.
Ouch! I see what you mean. I do get flare with my mini 3 pro, but no different to anything I've seen with my DSLR's, you can end up with some quite nice effects, so I put up with it and angle in excess of 45 degrees to the sun. If I want the same shot angle without flare, I usually put the bird in the air when the light is behind the drone, that's why I'm on-site for 10 hours - to catch best light morning and evening

Bonjour

normal non, mais un nettoyage de la lumière du soleil, de la lentille elle-même une tentative sans la lumière du soleil pour voir les différences et éventuellement élucider le problème. J'ai regardé beaucoup de vidéos et aucune d'entre elles n'est apparue !?A+patc45 !

Hello

Normal no, but a cleaning of sunlight, the lens itself an attempt without sunlight to see the differences and possibly elucidate the problem. I watched a lot of videos and none of them appeared!? A+patc45!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen that kind of flare with my Mini 3 Pro. Maybe I was just lucky. If so this goes back. I have 5 other drones I can use. If this is "normal" I'm shocked and very sorry I sold my much better Mini 3 Pro.
Wow! That is some of the worst flare I have ever seen from any camera. That system desperately needs a lens hood to block light entering at the angles causing the excessive flare. At $1200 I would be very disappointed myself.

That’s unacceptable. Send it back. These companies want to pump out product at record pace for mediocre perf? No way. That video says a lot. You can’t get anywhere near direct sunlight which you can’t avoid in the sky. Send it back and try to post your video on other forums to warn prospective buyers to steer clear. And thanks, you saved me 1000.00!

That is bad indeed. I wonder why the MP4 would do this where the MP3 wouldn’t. The cameras and how they’re mounted seem very similar.

Reactions: Aairon
I've never seen such flares with my Mini 3 Pro... Maybe your camera has a problem? To check with DJI...

Would have been nice to see the exact same footage withthe M3P. I feel like that angle of the sun and the direction in which you're facing is a difficult position in which not to get lens flare. It actually looks nice, kind of a cinematic effect.

Here is some video from my Mini 4 Pro

now that I see your example I feel something is wrong... I just shot this morning right into the sunrise and had no flare like that, perhaps a bit (and more than bigger cameras on the Mavic 3 series) but nothing even close to what your video has. I wonder if you should return it and give another sample a try...

I'm so glad we have testers like you on this forum. Otherwise we would never know these things! I was seriously considering this drone but in light of this information, I will reserve judgement and wait.

Dale
Miami

I was 'thinking' about the M4P, but might wait to hear the results of this flare problem.
Never had this with my Mavic Pro1 or my P4P. Sure hope it's a lens defect and not the drone.
Anyone else with this problem??

Reactions: Aairon
I'm so glad we have testers like you on this forum. Otherwise we would never know these things! I was seriously considering this drone but in light of this information, I will reserve judgement and wait.

Dale
Miami

Dale, mine arrives tomorrow (based on your previous post) and I will test it on the west coast. Much of my photography is pre sunrise and sunsets. Time will tell. And here I thought my Florida friend was all in. We leave for a trip through Northern CA and over to Boise. Thought this would be a perfect
Test for this travel drone. I’ll have the Mavic 3 hidden in a car bag. My rule is never have two drones visible at the same time. My wife still believes I only have one !

Dale, mine arrives tomorrow (based on your previous post) and I will test it on the west coast. Much of my photography is pre sunrise and sunsets. Time will tell. And here I thought my Florida friend was all in. We leave for a trip through Northern CA and over to Boise. Thought this would be a perfect
Test for this travel drone. I’ll have the Mavic 3 hidden in a car bag. My rule is never have two drones visible at the same time. My wife still believes I only have one !
Wish I could get by with that....my wife has some kind of 6th sense about what I have and how many!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13