DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First DJI Mavic Pro 2 Crash Using Active Track 2.0!!

He ran into a power line. Why in the world would you need a flight log?

I get that maybe ActiveTrack didn't behave exactly as intended, but running this mode with power lines nearby is just idiotic.

Guys get off the Bla Bla and try and help this guy figure this out or don't post .
Nothing helpful to say then don't say nothing at all .

ms-HACtZx.gif

If you put it in activtrak you are the responsible party there for you are the pilot. You put it in altitude with nearby power lines occupying that space. That's pilot error.

However it did appear to lose active track tracking. So there is that .

Im pretty sure he realizes who the pilot is.. it seems to be a fairly simple question to me. Why did it go from one side of road to the other. Its not like the power line was right over his head, it was off the road.

Maybe ur tracks will be perfect, but id still like to know why it did what it did..

That definitely sounds like the most reasonable explanation, especially since there is no chance you hit any buttons or the screen. So any chance you can post the logs here? Are you comfortable with that?

Meantime, I think this thread will continue to get posts about wires and obstacle avoidance. Just have to ignore those and focus on figuring out why it moved in the direction it did.

Yup. One comment after another about OA. Geeez... stick to the issue guys.

Reactions: jimlips
Just think of it like this!

Would the pilot have been sane if he did that in a manned aircraft?

I’m pretty sure he would have thought to set a altitude to clear ANY obstruction that could kill people on the ground or him.

Promoting it as a crash due to mechanical failure is a no go.

There were easy basic things that every pilot should do that Jordan didn’t.

Continuing to push it is killing your credibility with anyone but biased anti DJI people.

No excuses. The pilot and crew are dead on this aircraft.

And it could have been avoided by setting 10’ more altitude.

Cmon Jordan.

Defining moment here.

Just think of it like this!

Would the pilot have been sane if he did that in a manned aircraft?

I’m pretty sure he would have thought to set a altitude to clear ANY obstruction that could kill people on the ground or him.

Promoting it as a crash due to mechanical failure is a no go.

There were easy basic things that every pilot should do that Jordan didn’t.

Continuing to push it is killing your credibility with anyone but biased anti DJI people.

No excuses. The pilot and crew are dead on this aircraft.

And it could have been avoided by setting 10’ more altitude.

Cmon Jordan.

Defining moment here.

This is the best analogy. We tend to get caught up in the moment and do things we wouldn't do because our souls are not on board. I myself allowed an unacceptable amount of risk into a flight. Even when the ods should have been in my favor. It was a foolish risk none the less. Murphy's Quantum Law reached out to remind me that i was flying a $1500. Drone. :eek:

Last edited:
How can it be pilot error when he wasn’t holding the controller? D’oh.

I’ve made a personal note that...driving, whilst filming a drone with a camera in your hand, whilst allowing your drone to fly in an automated mode, whilst near power lines is not such a good idea. On a positive note flying near fields with a soft fully grown crop was a redeeming feature.

Glad he got lucky and retrieved it undamaged.

I had the Mavic Tracking from behind with an 11% offset to the side. I have did a few test since with active track following me running through a forest and it has performed great. I still need to make time to get the logs off my phone but I reviewed the stick movements in the flight playback and there was defiantly no movement of the sticks by accident while I was driving. I am really getting tired of the comments about setting a safe altitude. Clearly that is not the issue and not what I was testing. When I told the Mavic to remain on that side of me it should have. There was no way it came in contact with any other obstacle and tried going around it at that altitude and a speed of 10mph it should have been able to keep up without a problem. I guaranty the issue was that it lost track and with the new Mavic 2 it tries to project where you will be. It projected wrong and made a fatal error to fly to the opposite side of the road. Simple as that.

I had the Mavic Tracking from behind with an 11% offset to the side. I have did a few test since with active track following me running through a forest and it has performed great. I still need to make time to get the logs off my phone but I reviewed the stick movements in the flight playback and there was defiantly no movement of the sticks by accident while I was driving. I am really getting tired of the comments about setting a safe altitude. Clearly that is not the issue and not what I was testing. When I told the Mavic to remain on that side of me it should have. There was no way it came in contact with any other obstacle and tried going around it at that altitude and a speed of 10mph it should have been able to keep up without a problem. I guaranty the issue was that it lost track and with the new Mavic 2 it tries to project where you will be. It projected wrong and made a fatal error to fly to the opposite side of the road. Simple as that.
Please How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Im pretty sure he realizes who the pilot is.. it seems to be a fairly simple question to me. Why did it go from one side of road to the other. Its not like the power line was right over his head, it was off the road.

Maybe ur tracks will be perfect, but id still like to know why it did what it did..

Is the question, why did the drone cross the road (to get to the other side), or which came first, the drone or the power line? If a drone crashes in a corn field and no-one is there to here it, does it make a sound?

Actually I am interested in the true reason it crossed. Hope it is something easily fixed.

Reactions: BudWalker and JDawg
Ok here are some more details. This is not pilot error. It was in active track with the remote on the seat next to me. No way to push any of the buttons. Speed was 10 mph. I believe the drone started to loose track of object and the new version predicts where the object is going. The mp2 predicted wrong and ended up circling ahead of me and around into the power lines. It is well known that the obstacle avoidance can not detect power lines and that is not the issue. The problem is why did active track decide to take this route instead of maintaining the track of the object at the side profile.
Hello, first time poster. I had a very similar episode happen to me last week. Was testing active track in the middle of a baseball field. Had it locked onto myself just fine for a few minutes and then out of nowhere it took off in the opposite direction and crashed into a chain link fence about 100 feet away. Extremely odd.

Agree on setting altitude to avoid obstacles but why did the Mavik Pro 2 change sides? Perhaps the new predictive software is faulty. Will a Mavik Pro Platinum do the same thing in active track?
Thinking of a park near me a change of sides while racking on the path might put the drone over a highway which is illegal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga