DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight - First Lessons & Impressions

SimonD

Reactions
Well I managed to fly my MA for the first time the other day, locations are a lot harder to find than I expected (Shrewsbury Shropshire) but I found a bridge about 10 miles away with a public footpath so set up there near a river.

Immediately discovered I either needed a landing pad or longer legs, I ended up launching from my carry case.

I used beginner mode and just practised flying basics and soon got comfortable with it then too to low level flying over the river & under the bridge and got a few shots I was proud of, there was a small pebble shore near it for take off and landing though it was covered in tree debris so take off and landing was a bit messy.

I ended up using the drone to clean up a landing spot by hovering low over the landing spot and it was a perfect leaf blower ?

I eventually gained enough confidence by my 3rd battery to turn off beginner mode and was stunned by the speed difference though my footage was mostly unusable as I had to adjust my flying style so I was quite jerky to start with, got used to it and just about to do a nice pull back low level shot over the river and under the bridge - end of battery warning so aborted and brought it home.

Literally time fly's when you're having fun.
  • Main newbie lessons I learned were:
  • Manual Camera settings are a must, I only used auto once, the white balance and exposure were too jerky so I put everything on manual.
  • I need a screen shade, even in cloudy conditions I found it hard to see my screen.
  • I need a launch pad.
  • I learned to rehearse my shots before recording them.
  • Turned down the Gimbal settings to slow gave me much better shots.
  • 3 Batteries aren't enough for learning, just as I was gaining confidence I was out of power (I stayed on the safe side and kept to 30% especially as I was over water)
  • Practice practice practice - I struggled to remember everything and found myself going the wrong way or pitching the camera the wrong way during a shot.
So onto help / advice:
  • Line of sight, being honest I rarely looked at the screen and mostly watched the drone, I'm not sure of the balance of which is best to look at?
  • RTH settings, I only tried it once but found the height quite nervy, I might adjust it but I'm preferring to do it manually now, any tips?
  • People - when I set up there was nobody around, while flying a couple of hikers wandered within 50 meters, I carried on but should have I withdrawn away from them?
  • The next one I was kind of expecting, some bloke across the river was constantly glaring at me as if I was dodgy, to the point he also wandered into the 50 meter zone and picked up his phone while staring at me (not the drone) - should I have aborted the flight?
  • Orientation tips? I often couldn't tell the direction the drone was facing when the drone was further away and almost crashed into a tree.
Any other newbie tips? I'm not afraid to suck eggs, I've watched a ton of videos.

I'm sure to have more questions after my next flight (hopefully today), but I am already hooked, I just wish I had more locations, I spent an hour this morning hunting on google maps and most local spot had cycle tracks or dog walkers.

Ooops this was longer than I intended sorry for the possibly boring read, just newbie uncertainties.

Best advice start slow in wide open places - avoid water if you can - baby steps - you will eventually get used to flying with your fpv (mobile device) - that way right is right and left is left - no guess work needed. Find a shady spot to fly from so you have no glare. Practice blind landing without seeing the drone and only use fpv - May come in handy someday.

Here is a video I shot not that long ago that requires good fpv view and quick fingers - there was no editing:

Well I managed to fly my MA for the first time the other day, locations are a lot harder to find than I expected (Shrewsbury Shropshire) but I found a bridge about 10 miles away with a public footpath so set up there near a river.

Immediately discovered I either needed a landing pad or longer legs, I ended up launching from my carry case.

I used beginner mode and just practised flying basics and soon got comfortable with it then too to low level flying over the river & under the bridge and got a few shots I was proud of, there was a small pebble shore near it for take off and landing though it was covered in tree debris so take off and landing was a bit messy.

I ended up using the drone to clean up a landing spot by hovering low over the landing spot and it was a perfect leaf blower ?

I eventually gained enough confidence by my 3rd battery to turn off beginner mode and was stunned by the speed difference though my footage was mostly unusable as I had to adjust my flying style so I was quite jerky to start with, got used to it and just about to do a nice pull back low level shot over the river and under the bridge - end of battery warning so aborted and brought it home.

• Manual Camera settings are a must, I only used auto once, the white balance and exposure were too jerky so I put everything on manual.
  • I need a screen shade, even in cloudy conditions I found it hard to see my screen.
  • I need a launch pad.
  • 3 Batteries aren't enough for learning, just as I was gaining confidence I was out of power (I stayed on the safe side and kept to 30% especially as I was over water)
  • Practice practice practice - I struggled to remember everything and found myself going the wrong way or pitching the camera the wrong way during a shot.
So onto help / advice:
  • Line of sight, being honest I rarely looked at the screen and mostly watched the drone, I'm not sure of the balance of which is best to look at?
  • RTH settings, I only tried it once but found the height quite nervy, I might adjust it but I'm preferring to do it manually now, any tips?
  • People - when I set up there was nobody around, while flying a couple of hikers wandered within 50 meters, I carried on but should have I withdrawn away from them?
  • The next one I was kind of expecting, some bloke across the river was constantly glaring at me as if I was dodgy, to the point he also wandered into the 50 meter zone and picked up his phone while staring at me (not the drone) - should I have aborted the flight?
  • Orientation tips? I often couldn't tell the direction the drone was facing when the drone was further away and almost crashed into a tree.
Any other newbie tips? I'm not afraid to suck eggs, I've watched a ton of videos.

I'm sure to have more questions after my next flight (hopefully today), but I am already hooked, I just wish I had more locations, I spent an hour this morning hunting on google maps and most local spot had cycle tracks or dog walkers.

Ooops this was longer than I intended sorry for the possibly boring read, just newbie uncertainties.

You might want to look at just released LUNAR LANDING PAD by Phantomran.org

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 2.54.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 2.54.09 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: SimonD
First of all - well done! It's kind of scary at the beginning. There is a huge amount to master. No substitute for practice! I am in the UK and often fly first thing in morning or late evening to avoid people and enjoy the long shadows. Most people are in my experience intrigued by the novelty and not critical. I have had one sarky "hope you aren't photographing me" but more often people want to chat and look at the screen which while irritating at one level has generated some great chats! Perhaps worry less about whether location is ok and fly more! Use the NATS app to check for true no fly safety zoned (Dronesafe). I have the following extra kit which I have used (and quite a lot I hav'nt.

In priority order
1) ditch the cable which connects to the LHS of the controller and buy a quality Anker cable off Amazon to plug into the bottom big USB plug on the bottom of the controller
2) buy a magnetic charging cable to protect that weak LHS USB connector on the controller
3) buy a heavy plastic landing mat which folds into 6 and stays in place in the wind
4) buy a sun screen for your phone or tablet
5) consider using a tablet and a tablet holder - I use an old Samsung Tab S2 9.7inch and a fold up holder which clips into the controller and comes with a neck lanyard
6) get a set of cheap ND filters for video - in practice I have ND16 on as default and occasionally use ND32. I have ND4 through ND64 and polarised variants (Neweer).
7) get a set of bright red plastic ties to keep the props together and stop them snagging if you use the flymore case

That's my go-to set for flying. I need a new laptop for video editing (yes this becomes an expensive but thoroughly wonderful hobby).

Contact me through pm if you want more UK advice. I have been flying since April, had my first crash (wrote off a set of props) and have produced two videos I am (probably inappropriately) proud of.

Add lights. I use 4 Firehouse ARC2s, red, green, and 2whites in aircraft orientation. Great help for VLOS and so extended range safely.

1) ditch the cable which connects to the LHS of the controller and buy a quality Anker cable off Amazon to plug into the bottom big USB plug on the bottom of the controller
2) buy a magnetic charging cable to protect that weak LHS USB connector on the controller

Just wondering if you could clarify the reasons for this, specifically number 1? I'm a new MA pilot myself.

First of all - well done! It's kind of scary at the beginning. There is a huge amount to master. No substitute for practice! I am in the UK and often fly first thing in morning or late evening to avoid people and enjoy the long shadows. Most people are in my experience intrigued by the novelty and not critical. I have had one sarky "hope you aren't photographing me" but more often people want to chat and look at the screen which while irritating at one level has generated some great chats! Perhaps worry less about whether location is ok and fly more! Use the NATS app to check for true no fly safety zoned (Dronesafe). I have the following extra kit which I have used (and quite a lot I hav'nt.

In priority order
3) buy a heavy plastic landing mat which folds into 6 and stays in place in the wind
4) buy a sun screen for your phone or tablet
5) consider using a tablet and a tablet holder - I use an old Samsung Tab S2 9.7inch and a fold up holder which clips into the controller and comes with a neck lanyard
6) get a set of cheap ND filters for video - in practice I have ND16 on as default and occasionally use ND32. I have ND4 through ND64 and polarised variants (Neweer).
7) get a set of bright red plastic ties to keep the props together and stop them snagging if you use the flymore case

That's my go-to set for flying. I need a new laptop for video editing (yes this becomes an expensive but thoroughly wonderful hobby).

Contact me through pm if you want more UK advice. I have been flying since April, had my first crash (wrote off a set of props) and have produced two videos I am (probably inappropriately) proud of.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, plenty of useful tips there, landing pad is my main need after my first 2 sessions of using my Flymo which chomped the grass and snagged around one of my props.

I am using a large garden kneeling pad while I choose a proper one.

I have NATS and it's been very useful so far but people have been the main snag which it doesn't take into account, my first location had 2 people stray into the 50 meter zone.

Appreciate the advice, ordered some Newer filters in case the sun comes out (both sessions have been overcast so far)

In addition I got a Reversible Micro USB Cable for the left hand side charge port on the controller:

/tiny fiddle, soap box mode on/ My Micro connector broke after using it only once. A factory defect that DJI denies and no one believes anyway, since its such a poor design to use the legacy micro connector. I had to pay DJI to get it fixed, as well as being without a controller for a few weeks. /tiny fiddle, soap box mode off/
This cable will take the guess work out of connecting to any micro USB port. I love these cables and use them for all my micro USB charging needs.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
In addition I got a Reversible Micro USB Cable for the left hand side charge port on the controller:

View attachment 77699

/tiny fiddle, soap box mode on/ My Micro connector broke after using it only once. A factory defect that DJI denies and no one believes anyway, since its such a poor design to use the legacy micro connector. I had to pay DJI to get it fixed, as well as being without a controller for a few weeks. /tiny fiddle, soap box mode off/
This cable will take the guess work out of connecting to any micro USB port. I love these cables and use them for all my micro USB charging needs.

I consider a reversible cable a "must have" to protect that charging socket; it looks fragile and if it breaks, you won't be able to charge your controller. Here's the one I bought, and which I'm very satisfied with:

As to connecting the iPhone to the RC, I use this cable, with the 90 degree Lightning connector :

• I need a launch pad.
So onto help / advice:

Lot of very good points...let me add a few, from my experience:

RTH is your friend...usually. If any part of your flight will be under anything, be sure RTH is NOT turned ON. Example would be if you're flying along a trail at low altitude, and the trail starts to go under tree cover; if you lose the connection, you want it to hover. If RTH is ON, you don't want it to climb to the RTH height, right into the tree branches; collision avoidance doesn't look UP. Same applies if you're flying in a building, like your house, barn, etc.

Unless there's a good reason not to, always do a screen recording for the whole flight on your mobile device (iOS has capability built in, not sure about Android). It's very useful to review your flight after landing to learn from it, without the pressures of having an aircraft in the air. I've often picked up things that I hadn't noticed the first time around.

Along the lines of the screen recording, it's also instructive to look at the telemetry data. It's recorded on the drone, and your mobile phone. The copy on your device is a .TXT file that includes the date of the flight in the filename. A website like www.airdata.com has instructions on how you can find the file, and upload it to their site. They use that data to plot your flight on Google maps, showing you your flight path over the ground, with a fair number of parameters, including speed, height, battery %, events, etc. Their basic plan is free, but if you are willing to pay, they provide additional information from your flight, and allow you to store more flights on their site. There are free programs out there that will extract your data from the TXT file, putting out a spreadsheet file (csv) that you can analyze to your heart's content.