DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 First night flight and fireworks, thoughts please,,,

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Not too sure about this video, I captured the footage in mid September, but have been struggling with the edit for a while now...

Knutsford Fair - perhaps first footage a little too early, and the later a bit overexposed...
Fireworks - run at 4x speed - perhaps I should edit to the best bits only and run at normal speed?

Should it be one video, or 2?

Beautifully shot , I would contact the Carnival and let them see the video an see if maybe they would like to purchase it from you, Its really well shot and would look great on there website if they had one.

You do have to watch flying over people, that is where you are taking some Risks both with the FAA and the People below , but as far as the Fireworks I would make it 2 videos.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the water ,

Beautifully shot , I would contact the Carnival and let them see the video an see if maybe they would like to purchase it from you, Its really well shot and would look great on there website if they had one.

You do have to watch flying over people, that is where you are taking some Risks both with the FAA and the People below , but as far as the Fireworks I would make it 2 videos.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the water ,
Thanks, I was flying sub 250gram and kept 30m above folks, plus avoided crowds, so was able to stay within CAA Drone code for the flight, although keeping the inbuilt lights in view on the night flight was tricky to say th least, thankfully hubby was my spotter and has great nightvision..

It looks good, separate the videos. some of the night footage seems overly bright, perhaps you could make some adjustments in post..

Thanks, I was flying sub 250gram and kept 30m above folks, plus avoided crowds, so was able to stay within CAA Drone code for the flight, although keeping the inbuilt lights in view on the night flight was tricky to say th least, thankfully hubby was my spotter and has great nightvision..
Don't know CAA drone rules at all but it is interesting you said flying over people at 30m above them was fine as long it was a sub 250 gram drone. If that is actually the case your very lucky as most countries say you must have prop guards on which puts the drone over the sub 250 weight.

Nice video though.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Not too sure about this video, I captured the footage in mid September, but have been struggling with the edit for a while now...

Knutsford Fair - perhaps first footage a little too early, and the later a bit overexposed...
Fireworks - run at 4x speed - perhaps I should edit to the best bits only and run at normal speed?

Night stuff is tricky, but I think you said it right with the "little early/little late" comment. Drones and video are a bit trickier than photos, but generally by about 30 minutes after sunset there just isn't enough ambient light to get a balanced shot. So you get maybe 15 minutes where you have the right balance of too much and too little daylight to get good shots.

All that said, the hyperlapse at the beginning is super cool, even if the lighting isn't ideal for the effect it seems you were going for.

I would have started with the second shot first. I would also edit out the jerky camera movements and maybe shorten some of the shots. There were some nice shots in there, just need to tighten things up a bit in the edit.

Here is my 2 cents. I like the first part of the fair in daylight. In the nighttime video, I would bring down the whites a little bit, but don’t touch the shadows where the vehicles are parked. As far as the fireworks, I would shorten that part of the clip considerably. I really like the shots of the fireworks and the fair section together, but again, bring down the whites. Too washed out. Nice job. Looks like great fun.

Not bad overall. A few comments:

Yes, I believe most of the video is over-exposed (to my eye). Lots of washout on carnival rides and fireworks.

I'd also break into 2 videos...overall length is a bit long.

For fireworks, the "grand finale" (if there is one) usually holds more interest. Focusing on the grand finale would eliminate need to speed-up the footage.

If you record the sound of the fireworks with your phone you could put it under the drone footage.....i think....... fireworks needs sound......
Nice vid though....
Agree 100% that fireworks need sound.

Here is a grand finale using sound recorded on my phone and then added/sync'd to the fireworks.

Fireworks Grand Finale with Sound

Thanks everyone, we did record the sound on hubbys phone, but for some reason it has disappeared... I shall have a play and see what I can do, lots of great advice, thanks all...

Don’t need anything else from me. Plenty of great thoughts above. Was it hyper lapse or did you speed up in edit? Really liked the music and that kept me watching despite the slightly long fireworks section. Shame the sound was lost on hubby’s phone. Would have been great under the footage but it was good to watch. Well done.

Thanks Twickers14...

Not hyperlapse, just increased speed to double (200%) in Resolve...

I shall see if we can find his phone footage and maybe have another go at editing it into 2 separate video's, but probably not for a few weeks as we are away to the Highlands on Saturday... Hoping the weather plays nice and I can get some decent footage...

Perhaps a better edit, just the fair, by day and night... normal speed footage and a bit of processing on the levels...

Very nice. I still think the whites are still a little too bright in the night videos, but that could be my eyes or my iPad mini 2. I really like this version.

Very nice. I still think the whites are still a little too bright in the night videos, but that could be my eyes or my iPad mini 2. I really like this version.
Thanks Grandpa, the whites are blown out, so not much more I can do...

Reactions: Grandpa

Yeah, fun video. Good skills. Note: As mentioned, it is unlawful to fly over people and cars without a special waiver, which is obtained in advance of a 107 flight and pretty involved. If FAA contacts you, be courteous and answer honestly. They may give you a pass the first time, but maybe not the second. Not wanting to be a Marm, just looking out for fellow pilots.

Yeah, fun video. Good skills. Note: As mentioned, it is unlawful to fly over people and cars without a special waiver, which is obtained in advance of a 107 flight and pretty involved. If FAA contacts you, be courteous and answer honestly. They may give you a pass the first time, but maybe not the second. Not wanting to be a Marm, just looking out for fellow pilots.
Thanks, its a sub 250Gram drone, and flown according to the UK CAA Drone Code, so overflight is ok in this instance...

Oh sorry, missed your origin. Wish we could do that here….. Drone fireworks are cool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_