DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

first time Noob

Brockadrone

Reactions
thinking of buying my first DJI, im struggling to decide between buying a new Mini 2 or a second hand Mavic Pro.

im not looking to use as commercial and have no experience in video editing but willing to learn.

please help me make up my mind!

I’d get the MA2 if I was you buddy. Just my opinion. I’ve owned the Mini 1 and MA2. I had the Mini 1 and upgraded to the MA2 a couple of days after flying the Mini as my 1st drone.

I agree the Mavic Air 2 will be my choice. I own all of them. I fly my Air 2 so frequently and is the drone I most enjoy flying.

Reactions: Dbez1
Thanks for the advice, the MA2 looks good! but abit out my budget, second hand pros are going for around the same price as the Mini 2.
Edit:
There are some tradeoffs. What the Mini2 has going for it is Ocusync 2 rather than WiFi. You will have a more stable signal at distance. The Mavic Pro is 3 times the weight and has more power so it will be more stable in windy conditions. However with a used Mavic Pro you need to be concerned with battery age. Are the current batteries nearing their end-of-life period? Replacements will run you around $60 (way cheaper than the Mavic 2 batteries) and about the same price as the Mini2 batteries.

Rather than buying a used Mavic Pro have you considered trying to locate a refurbished unit? I think you would be surprised at how competitive the pricing is on refurbs and usually you cannot distinguish them from new. They come with full warranty and you know they've been gone over by a technician rather than coming to you in random used condition. They Mavic Pro refurbs used to go for around $500.

Last edited:
I would suggest the Mavic Air 2 as well, if you can save up a bit more. The big benefit it has over the Mini 2 is the 1080p (HD) LiveView, which is what you see on your phone, or better yet, your tablet. This really enhances the flying experience. Used systems are always a gamble, and unless you purchased one from a family member of very good friend, and you knew its history, it is ill advised. Maybe not in every case, but in general, thus the gamble.

Reactions: Brockadrone
Thanks for the advice, the MA2 looks good! but abit out my budget, second hand pros are going for around the same price as the Mini 2.
How long have you been saving for this purchase if I may ask? Or are you buying out of pocket?

Between the Mini 2 and an 2nd hand M2P I personally would go for the latter but combo's only, a single battery would drive me nuts I think.
HOWEVER as a newbie the Mini 2, new with care refresh, might be the better bet. Just make sure you do not lose it as care refresh, I believe, requires a drone to return.
Can't comment on the MA2.

Between the Mini 2 and an 2nd hand M2P I personally would go for the latter but combo's only, a single battery would drive me nuts I think.
HOWEVER as a newbie the Mini 2, new with care refresh, might be the better bet. Just make sure you do not lose it as care refresh, I believe, requires a drone to return.
Can't comment on the MA2.
Easy there... he isn't even close to a M2P he is talking a original MP1 :p If a M2P he could easily afford a MA2 Fly More.;) And yes under almost all instances Care Refresh requires pieces :)

Reactions: Brockadrone
If money is not a problem, the M2P is the choice. The are few key advantages from the AIr 2 over the Mavic 2 pro and this is only my opinion.
  • Mavic Air 2 HDR Video recording
    • This is a huge advantage in my opinion and i use this all the time, getting a beautiful footage and colors in sunsets and low lights conditions.
  • 4K/60 FPS is a most to have and is super useful
  • Tracking 3.0
    • The tracking system from the MA2 is superior to the M2P even when does not have the side sensors, works very well detecting even small branches
  • Battery
    • The 34 minutes from the MA2 are really noticeable comparing to the M2P.
Now the M2P has tons of advantages, from dynamic range, bigger sensor, clean image. The Mavic Air 2 is 48 Megapixels but that is pure marketing. The Pictures from the M2P are better quality.

But for be honest for the price of the MA2, I will go for it. Unless you are a photographer or want the maximum quality of pictures or just like me, i collect all drones, get the M2P as well, but you will pay twice the amount.

Another thing to consider is the new laws comming into effect on the 31st of December, The Mini 2 will give you a lot more fredom as a legacy drone.

I have the Air 2 and after todays first flight love it, if I could I would go and buy a mini 2 today, just to take advantage of the new laws comming :)

If money is not a problem, the M2P is the choice. The are few key advantages from the AIr 2 over the Mavic 2 pro and this is only my opinion.
Not sure where you guys are getting M2P from, but it isn't in the equation. ;) Its a OLD original Mavic Pro or a Mini 2 everything else is out of scope at this point.

im struggling to decide between buying a new Mini 2 or a second hand Mavic Pro
I own both and would personally go with the Mini 2 if I could only have one. Compare the specs here and see which hits the most marks for you.

Here are some other things to keep in mind:
  • The Mavic Pro has been discontinued, so it's going to be harder to find new accessories like batteries.

• The Mini 2 uses OcuSync 2.0. That means it can be compatible with newer DJI accessories like the Smart Controller.

• And since the Mini 2 uses OcuSync 2.0, the signal should always be stronger than OcuSync on board the Mavic Pro.

• OEM Mini 2 batteries are less expensive than OEM Mavic Pro batteries. You'll like find other must-have Mini 2 accessories (like cases) are less expensive too (since the Mini 2 is smaller).

• Only the Mini 2 uses DJI Fly -- the latest version of DJI's flight app and the only app that'll likely get new features going forward (until it's replaced of course).

Reactions: Dbez1 and zeusfl
Hi Brockadrone Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
I don’t have a Mini2 but did have a Mavic Pro, bought used & thought it was great.
I only got rid of the Pro to get a Pro 2 so not a lot of help from me although I did get my money back when I sold on the MP.

I hope Fly is not the app going forward. Can you imagine it being used with the M2? Fly seem OK for the Minis or Air 2, but It would be horrible if that's the app used for the probable future M3.

How long have you been saving for this purchase if I may ask? Or are you buying out of pocket?
selling a few old toys/projects to try and get as much funds without dipping into my pocket, only been a couple months. sounds like I new to dig around and find some more stuff to sell :p

Reactions: Dbez1
I own both and would personally go with the Mini 2 if I could only have one. Compare the specs here and see which hits the most marks for you.

Here are some other things to keep in mind:
  • The Mavic Pro has been discontinued, so it's going to be harder to find new accessories like batteries.

• The Mini 2 uses OcuSync 2.0. That means it can be compatible with newer DJI accessories like the Smart Controller.

• And since the Mini 2 uses OcuSync 2.0, the signal should always be stronger than OcuSync on board the Mavic Pro.

• OEM Mini 2 batteries are less expensive than OEM Mavic Pro batteries. You'll like find other must-have Mini 2 accessories (like cases) are less expensive too (since the Mini 2 is smaller).

• Only the Mini 2 uses DJI Fly -- the latest version of DJI's flight app and the only app that'll likely get new features going forward (until it's replaced of course).
thanks for the input @msinger! from your experience how does the camera quality compare?

Another thing to consider is the new laws comming into effect on the 31st of December, The Mini 2 will give you a lot more fredom as a legacy drone.

I have the Air 2 and after todays first flight love it, if I could I would go and buy a mini 2 today, just to take advantage of the new laws comming :)
I did see this but I didn't make much sense to me, am I right in saying I would just need to register the drone and not worry about getting a licence?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78