DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Wedding Video - ALL Drone footage plus Things I Learned

Nicely shot and edited. Do you color correct by hand in Premiere, or use a LUT?

I use my GoPro Hero 4 Black on a gimbal to do ground based shots, and it's a lot easier and more stable.

Excellent job! Your sense of storytelling and choices during editing are top notch.

You captured some priceless moments and the couple will enjoy that for years to come.

One thing I would caution you about: there are a couple shots where it looks like you flew directly over people. This isn’t safe and is against the rules in most (all?) countries. Maybe take that into consideration next time.

All in all, a beautiful job!

Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!

Reactions: Pillowmage
The editing was a bit of work, but looking for songs was the hard part! I'm glad the couple really like it too!

Here, the current drone law states for my drone's weight it has to be 30 meters away from vehicles and the public. "Technically", I had their permission to fly closer than the distance as they were the subjects of the shot. So, they would not count as the general "public" hahah. I work occasionally with cops because of what I do, and none of them really care until your drone hits someone's house or are stalking someone. They don't know what the drone laws are either lol. But from a safety perspective, though, I totally understand what you mean. Videographers also ensure prop guards are in place for safety reasons.

The country's laws have changed twice already this year. It stated in the first revision that you have to be at least 75 meters ABOVE a person/animal/vehicle/building to shoot it. I'm glad they took it out as it was ridiculous. A chipmunk under a tree would make me unable to fly above the tree unless I was 75 meters high! People would look like ants from that height...

Thanks for checking it out! Safe flying!

Excellent job! Your sense of storytelling and choices during editing are top notch.

You captured some priceless moments and the couple will enjoy that for years to come.

One thing I would caution you about: there are a couple shots where it looks like you flew directly over people. This isn’t safe and is against the rules in most (all?) countries. Maybe take that into consideration next time.

All in all, a beautiful job!

Hey, I dropped my whites/highlights way down in most clips, added a LUT called Mojo II (you can google a serial to use it), popped in a little film grain through Lumetri, graded orange for the bride's prep place and blue on the groom's, re-added some blue to the tuxedo suits through the color wheel, and made some tweaks to match the shots better.

I don't have a Karma Grip but that should work perfectly too! With all Mavic shots, one advantage would be not having to flatten the fisheye. It's not a lot of work but still adds time to the editing workflow. Personally, I'm waiting for a new Osmo if it ever comes out. The GoPro is way easier and lighter for sure. Thanks for watching!

Nicely shot and edited. Do you color correct by hand in Premiere, or use a LUT?

I use my GoPro Hero 4 Black on a gimbal to do ground based shots, and it's a lot easier and more stable.

Premiere Pro is what I use. Some people sign up as students to get $20 monthly for a year instead of the usual $50 for the whole Premiere Suite (Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects, Speedgrade, etc). It's unfortunate that a lot of couples end up skipping video for their weddings because of the cost of a photographer and/or videographer. Thanks for giving it a watch!

Terrific video. What software did you use for editing? Memories for a lifetime for the happy couple.

Nice work! I couldn't help but notice an "Oilers" flask in one scene! (Lifelong Edmonton Oilers fan here) I live in the Shuswap and have had my MP since January. Still struggling with learning how to edit my video clips so they look half-decent. Looks like you have that part nailed down! Happy Flying!

Shuswap! My friend was just telling me about your place 2 days ago. I asked her where it would be nice to fly my drone for some pretty landscapes! There are a ton of editing tutorials on Youtube.

What software do you use? My other videos aren't edited as good as I liked, but with practice I'm slowly getting better. Not pro level by any means, but good enough to share on drone forums!

Thanks for watching!

Nice work! I couldn't help but notice an "Oilers" flask in one scene! (Lifelong Edmonton Oilers fan here) I live in the Shuswap and have had my MP since January. Still struggling with learning how to edit my video clips so they look half-decent. Looks like you have that part nailed down! Happy Flying!

Reactions: Hounder55
I went:
Standard 0-0-0
Style - none
ND filters 4/8/16 non-polarized
4k30, 1080p96 for slow-mo
Shutter speed 1/60
ISO 100/200/400

In Premiere, I used...
Lowered highlights/whites, raised some shadows
Mojo II Lut (you can google for serials)
Orange grade in bride's prep home
Blue grade in groom's prep house
Minimal film grain
Color wheel - raised blue to get back blue tuxedo colors

I used to do 1-0-0 in most clips but the export time becomes waay longer when taking out sharpness. Thanks for watchin'!

Very nice work. Would you share the camera settings you used?

I went:
Standard 0-0-0
Style - none
ND filters 4/8/16 non-polarized
4k30, 1080p96 for slow-mo
Shutter speed 1/60
ISO 100/200/400

In Premiere, I used...
Lowered highlights/whites, raised some shadows
Mojo II Lut (you can google for serials)
Orange grade in bride's prep home
Blue grade in groom's prep house
Minimal film grain
Color wheel - raised blue to get back blue tuxedo colors

I used to do 1-0-0 in most clips but the export time becomes waay longer when taking out sharpness. Thanks for watchin'!

Thanks for sharing and again very nice work on the video.

I got 3 batteries and used up just under 2. I actually didn't have a lot of spare clips and the drone's batteries last long when handheld. My main concern was the RC battery, which dies faster when filming handheld. I have a bag with a power bank in it, cable attached to the RC and my phone plugged into the USB port in the bottom of the RC.

Thanks for watching!

How many batteries did you go through during th

How many batteries did you go through during the course of shooting the wedding?

Reactions: lenzwizard
Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!
You did a fantastic job. You captured the essence of the wedding and did it with an artistic and professional flair. I was very impressed that it was your first wedding. Also you did it without an assistant,bravo!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute