DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Wedding Video - ALL Drone footage plus Things I Learned

Pillowmage

Reactions
Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!

I'm impressed, would never tell it's all drone, congrats!

i love photography but would never be able to do a wedding, the logistics seem scary.

Send it to DJI, nice showcase of their product, different kind of usage.

Thanks for checking it out! I'm getting the most of the drone since I have no other video solution haha, but it does get the job done.

I was fortunate that the photographers only went for the ceremony and photoshoot after. If the photographers were there for the bride and groom preparation, it would've been hard to capture some behind-the-scenes stuff.

I can't do photography because every picture has to be perfect and capture the moment precisely. At least with video, you can get a way with a few seconds of okay material and just make up for it with other clips!

i love photography but would never be able to do a wedding, the logistics seem scary.

Reactions: Ed_2020
It was hard keeping away, but both photographers were pretty chill. There was a time when I hovered my drone right above them and they didn't mind!

I've done some tutorial videos of shooting landscapes but I never really dived into shooting people. It's a different challenge altogether, especially when shooting vehicles like DJI does in those rally races!

**** this is good! At first I thought this was taken by the pros, stumped me after I read your post, knowing you took this all not getting in the paid photogs way is truly impressive!

Lifetime memories captured for the happy couple.
Fun and a learning experience for you...it's a win/win for all.
Great edit job too.

Reactions: Pillowmage
Yeah, I'd want to do more wedding covers now! Maybe not always for free, but even a gift card wouldn't be so bad haha

Lifetime memories captured for the happy couple.
Fun and a learning experience for you...it's a win/win for all.
Great edit job too.

Agreed. My coworker was hinting that I should get some aerial footage for his wedding. You need big cajones if you're paid(lots of experience). It's not something you jump into without planning. And I'd worry that the shot/videos came out underexposed, blurry etc. You only get one time (event) to get it right. In short: I'm chicken.

What an amazing piece! That was a big wedding party and a nice mansion. The slow motion walk down the isle was done perfectly. It looked like you were moving it in a flying motion by hand at certain points ? Great job man.

What editing software do you use ?

If you do the paid wedding for a friend, maybe you can just wait to see what you end up with, and then work out something you both agree on since it's a friend ? That's what I did when I started doing little league soccer . I felt weird quoting a price knowing that I was an amateur photographer and had never watched a soccer game. But all it took was 2 Games and I had a system down, now i wish I could up my price to what a pro would charge !

Last edited:
Reactions: Pillowmage
Haha i was fine with not getting paid so there's no pressure if I couldn't produce anything but still get some practice. Video settings can be pretty time consuming especially with lighting changes for outdoor shots. Also, no time do re-do shots! But the challenge is pretty fun so I say try it anyways ;)?

Agreed. My coworker was hinting that I should get some aerial footage for his wedding. You need big cajones if you're paid(lots of experience). It's not something you jump into without planning. And I'd worry that the shot/videos came out underexposed, blurry etc. You only get one time (event) to get it right. In short: I'm chicken.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna