DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Wedding Video - ALL Drone footage plus Things I Learned

Shuswap! My friend was just telling me about your place 2 days ago. I asked her where it would be nice to fly my drone for some pretty landscapes! There are a ton of editing tutorials on Youtube.

What software do you use? My other videos aren't edited as good as I liked, but with practice I'm slowly getting better. Not pro level by any means, but good enough to share on drone forums!

Thanks for watching!
I tried Premiere Elements 10 (came pre-loaded on my laptop) but found the learning curve a little steep! Guess I just have to bear-down and learn it! I'll check out those tutorials on YouTube for sure!
The Shuswap is a great place to fly a UAV. Plenty of lakes, mountains, valleys, rivers etc. and very few NFZs! Here is a pic taken from 200' above my yard looking towards the city of Salmon Arm.

CheersDJI_0485.JPG DJI_0485.JPG

An assistant would be nice! I'm glad you like it, and the couple did too! I'd definitely like to do more if the opportunity arises. Thanks for watching!

You did a fantastic job. You captured the essence of the wedding and did it with an artistic and professional flair. I was very impressed that it was your first wedding. Also you did it without an assistant,bravo!

That looks amazing! I know some people in Kelowna so I can probably drop by there too. I know I drove by there to Vancouver but we didn't really stop much because we had a ways to go.

I used to be content with GoPro Studio for editing until someone asked me why I didn't color correct my footage. I ended up asking a guy who uses Premiere Pro and gets all the Adobe applications for $20 monthly for a year instead of $50 because he signs up as a student. I then looked up beginner Premiere Pro tutorials on Youtube and they really helped me a lot. The monthly subscription works for me as other similar software cost a lot of money upfront, plus if a new version comes out you have to pay extra to upgrade to it. If you don't like it after a year or decide to stop making videos, you've spent less by cancelling a subscription. And, you'll always get the latest version too. Either way, it's all really up to you how much editing you want to do. Content is still king.

I tried Premiere Elements 10 (came pre-loaded on my laptop) but found the learning curve a little steep! Guess I just have to bear-down and learn it! I'll check out those tutorials on YouTube for sure!
The Shuswap is a great place to fly a UAV. Plenty of lakes, mountains, valleys, rivers etc. and very few NFZs! Here is a pic taken from 200' above my yard looking towards the city of Salmon Arm.

CheersView attachment 21839 View attachment 21839

Nice shooting and editing for a first time. I did weddings for almost 20 years, early ones were stills (film medium format) and later on I shot video with Sony HD. Video was way tougher in my opinion. Absolutely few breaks in concentration at any time. Noticed what I think is Can flag. Sure hope the drone police aren't on your case.

Reactions: Pillowmage
Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!
Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
Nice quality pro bono work! Appreciate the tips. My stepson is having a beach wedding in December. Hmm, there could be some awesome perspectives from the ocean. I would pay for your work.

I'm pretty sure I replied to your post but I can't find it anywhere! I think I was saying that tech has enabled shooting video while being mobile nowadays and even some phones have really good quality video already.

With the Mavic's under 1kg weight, the currently revised law here states you have to be 30m from vehicles, vessels and the public. I had permission from the couple to shoot my drone for the wedding so the guests wouldn't really be considered "public". I work alongside cops and most of them don't know the drone laws or even really care until you hit something or someone. Thanks for watching!

Nice shooting and editing for a first time. I did weddings for almost 20 years, early ones were stills (film medium format) and later on I shot video with Sony HD. Video was way tougher in my opinion. Absolutely few breaks in concentration at any time. Noticed what I think is Can flag. Sure hope the drone police aren't on your case.

Where is the beach wedding at? That would be perfect for a wedding shoot! I'm pretty jealous as there aren't really beaches around here. I do come from a country of 7,107 islands and I really miss the beaches there.

Nice quality pro bono work! Appreciate the tips. My stepson is having a beach wedding in December. Hmm, there could be some awesome perspectives from the ocean. I would pay for your work.

IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0884.JPG
Where is the beach wedding at? That would be perfect for a wedding shoot! I'm pretty jealous as there aren't really beaches around here. I do come from a country of 7,107 islands and I really miss the beaches there.
Hilton in West Palm Beach, Fl. Got my self customized SKB, (carry on size) case ready for the trip! SKB i series btw, makes super secure waterproof cases in many sizes. Somewhat pricy, but when you're toting $2500 worth of Mavic and Apple goodies, it doesn't make sense to skimp on the case, imo.

Yeah those cases look pretty legit. I ended up with a backpack for myself as I got a power bank, which would constantly charge the Mavic's RC, which in turn constantly charges your phone/tablet. I noticed that the RC battery drains way faster than your drone's battery when handheld so I opted for this. At least you're set for the wedding already!

View attachment 22204 View attachment 22204
Hilton in West Palm Beach, Fl. Got my self customized SKB, (carry on size) case ready for the trip! SKB i series btw, makes super secure waterproof cases in many sizes. Somewhat pricy, but when you're toting $2500 worth of Mavic and Apple goodies, it doesn't make sense to skimp on the case, imo.

Reactions: Riveratdave

Things I Learned:
Incredible creativity. This is no doubt your art. Beautiful work. The slo’s were timed nicely. Transitions were nice and I just purely enjoyed it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots