DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flew in a cool place and got yelled at for it.. Crazy Lady

that ratio is unacceptable. if you were eating lunch on a bench in the city park and 1 out of 10 people came up to you and harassed you for eating a sandwich out in public, how would you feel?

that number is too high and if it's going to get higher, we're in trouble.

Id feel like one out of ten people want a bite of my sandwich. LOL

Great pics! Beautiful island!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I do most of my flying in areas requiring LAANC authorization, or at least a 107 (prior to the new recreational rules; haven't really bothered to look at how that might have changed things as far as where they can fly but I understand the 5-mile rule may have gone away). On the rare occasions (maybe 2 or 3) that someone's come up to me where I could tell they weren't happy, I managed to mention having FAA approval to fly in the first sentence or two, as casually as possible. "What are you doing here?" "Oh, flying my drone. Want to come look at the screen? You know, lots of people do it illegally around here [note: this is true where I fly], but I always make sure to get clearance from the FAA, which only licensed drone operators can get." Every time, that has diffused the situation.

no hate but you are abusing the system, i'd probably do the same to diffuse. laanc wasn't intended to be used that way (or was it?). what happens when you fly in class G and you don't have a text message, does someone now have a right to question your flight? a laanc text message isn't supposed to mean anything to anyone except the faa. was it really intended to show anyone? do you really tell people that others are flying illegally and you're doing it correct;y when you know the system is temporarily unavailable and most people are uneducated and the flyer appears to be flying responsibly? just askin'.

so you have a text message on your phone and the guy standing next to you flying along side you doesn't, so you're right and he's wrong? in the eyes of the faa sure but for any other reason, no.

you don't need a real text message to tell someone who's unhappy that you got permission from the faa to fly there. anyone can create a text message or print out a piece of paper. it's nobody's business so you are free to tell them anything you wish. it's only after it becomes a rule or a law (which it will so and why i object to it) that it becomes a problem.

so i don't know laanc that well and i don't know the history so some of the experts here will correct me. let's see if i understand this. today the recreational flyer cannot use laanc and therefore it is impossible to fly in controlled airspace. since you have part 107 and you don't want to fly "illegally", you get your laanc and then you fly recreationally in controlled airspace, is that correct?

since you have part 107 and you don't want to fly "illegally", you get your laanc and then you fly recreationally in controlled airspace, is that correct?

I would think not if he has a LAANC wavier and his 107, he's flying under part 107 no matter what he's doing and has to abide by all the rules under part 107 and if he's having fun while he's flying God bless him :) Thumbswayup

Last edited:
With the new rules now being in place and the old ones of 101e and section 336 purged from the books the tables have turned in favor of those that hold their part 107 certification.

For close to three years hobbyists were free to fly in airspace that 107 commercial pilots had to jump through hoops to access to run their business. While it is true they had access to that same airspace during a hobby flight, that did not allow them to get the shot for business purposes.

While many recreational fliers are responsible and kept their aircraft VLOS, avoided areas where manned aircraft were likely to be at lower altitudes, contacted ATC or the airport manager to inform them of their flight plans; there were many more that never registered, flew BVLOS on a consistent basis, flew inside controlled airspace without proper notification and had the audacity to post it on social media and brag about it.

So section 349 is the result of that, and who can blame those with a 107 cert from saying “it’s about time!”.

I can’t say that as a hobbyist pilot where my UAV is just my aerial photo/video platform that I am happy about all of these changes. There are areas I used to be able to fly near airports by just letting them know of my intentions that I am totally banned from at present. When LAANC is made available to recreational pilots in the future we may gain some of that ability back (although it appears inside the 2 mile radius that may never happen).

What we really need to be afraid of is the real possibility of losing even more airspace in the future to major corporate use of our low altitude airspace.

So for now if you aren’t happy with the restrictions you have under 349 rules, it’s time to hit the books and pass your test for a 107 cert.

no hate but you are abusing the system, i'd probably do the same to diffuse. laanc wasn't intended to be used that way (or was it?). what happens when you fly in class G and you don't have a text message, does someone now have a right to question your flight? a laanc text message isn't supposed to mean anything to anyone except the faa. was it really intended to show anyone? do you really tell people that others are flying illegally and you're doing it correct;y when you know the system is temporarily unavailable and most people are uneducated and the flyer appears to be flying responsibly? just askin'.

so you have a text message on your phone and the guy standing next to you flying along side you doesn't, so you're right and he's wrong? in the eyes of the faa sure but for any other reason, no.

you don't need a real text message to tell someone who's unhappy that you got permission from the faa to fly there. anyone can create a text message or print out a piece of paper. it's nobody's business so you are free to tell them anything you wish. it's only after it becomes a rule or a law (which it will so and why i object to it) that it becomes a problem.

so i don't know laanc that well and i don't know the history so some of the experts here will correct me. let's see if i understand this. today the recreational flyer cannot use laanc and therefore it is impossible to fly in controlled airspace. since you have part 107 and you don't want to fly "illegally", you get your laanc and then you fly recreationally in controlled airspace, is that correct?

Whoa, my friend, where did we go wrong here? I wasn't trying to pick a fight.

First of all, LAANC was designed for exactly the purpose of giving authorized pilots the right to fly in FAA airspace.

If I am flying in class G? I'll explain I'm flying a drone. If they ask if a license is required I'll tell them no, but as a matter of fact I do have one.

The second part of your message sort of went off the rails and I'm not sure how to respond.

Whoa, my friend, where did we go wrong here? I wasn't trying to pick a fight.

First of all, LAANC was designed for exactly the purpose of giving authorized pilots the right to fly in FAA airspace.

If I am flying in class G? I'll explain I'm flying a drone. If they ask if a license is required I'll tell them no, but as a matter of fact I do have one.

The second part of your message sort of went off the rails and I'm not sure how to respond.

sure. not trying to pick a fight either; just trying to understand the rules and how they apply in the interim. everyday i'm learning alot and i understand things are changing by the week....plus, we have a few different viewpoints throughout the forum on these topics. no worries.

since you have part 107 and you don't want to fly "illegally", you get your laanc and then you fly recreationally in controlled airspace, is that correct?

I would think not if he has a LAANC wavier and his 107, he's flying under part 107 no matter what he's doing and has to abide by all the rules under part 107 and if he's having fun while he's flying God bless him :) Thumbswayup

i don't understand this at all. i'll keep digging to see what i can learn but if you care to share, please tell me more about what this means. i agree, i think you should fly, fly, fly. i think that is what i was trying to ask, if he just fly regardless.

With the new rules now being in place and the old ones of 101e and section 336 purged from the books the tables have turned in favor of those that hold their part 107 certification.

For close to three years hobbyists were free to fly in airspace that 107 commercial pilots had to jump through hoops to access to run their business. While it is true they had access to that same airspace during a hobby flight, that did not allow them to get the shot for business purposes.

While many recreational fliers are responsible and kept their aircraft VLOS, avoided areas where manned aircraft were likely to be at lower altitudes, contacted ATC or the airport manager to inform them of their flight plans; there were many more that never registered, flew BVLOS on a consistent basis, flew inside controlled airspace without proper notification and had the audacity to post it on social media and brag about it.

So section 349 is the result of that, and who can blame those with a 107 cert from saying “it’s about time!”.

I can’t say that as a hobbyist pilot where my UAV is just my aerial photo/video platform that I am happy about all of these changes. There are areas I used to be able to fly near airports by just letting them know of my intentions that I am totally banned from at present. When LAANC is made available to recreational pilots in the future we may gain some of that ability back (although it appears inside the 2 mile radius that may never happen).

What we really need to be afraid of is the real possibility of losing even more airspace in the future to major corporate use of our low altitude airspace.

So for now if you aren’t happy with the restrictions you have under 349 rules, it’s time to hit the books and pass your test for a 107 cert.

good info to know. wasn't aware of the history. currently weighing pros and cons for a 107 cert, still leaning nay.

. currently weighing pros and cons for a 107 cert, still leaning nay
Likewise for me; taking the knowledge test to prove understanding a resounding yes, spending $150 to be commercial when I have no desire to do commercial work a resounding no.

The only thing I would need it for would be SAR or other public service use and I should not have to pay the FAA to do public service work.

Reactions: BD0G and dirkclod
Being a fellow sailor (solo circumnavigator) you have to appreciate the locals when you visit their islands.

It served me well and you will be amazed how helpful they can be from lending their cars and so, so much more.

Appreciate it may have been difficult in this situation as they approached you but you have to remember its there home, (we) your just a stranger to their island and perhaps an unwanted one too.

Being a fellow sailor (solo circumnavigator) you have to appreciate the locals when you visit their islands.

It served me well and you will be amazed how helpful they can be from lending their cars and so, so much more.

Appreciate it may have been difficult in this situation as they approached you but you have to remember its there home, (we) your just a stranger to their island and perhaps an unwanted one too.
You must not have read the thread. The OP was born on the island; the irate woman was a tourist.

good info to know. wasn't aware of the history. currently weighing pros and cons for a 107 cert, still leaning nay.
Aside from the cost and time to prepare, there are no cons. You can fly recreationally whenever you want, but the 107 will open up LAANC for you if you need it. Although when that opens to recreational pilots it will be less of an issue.

People by and large cannot handle an emotionless blank stare for long.
Just ask Brer Rabbit about his run in with the Tar Baby

Pull the ole: "Ma'me please move away from this vector and get into another coordinate pronto. There's no access for you in this quadrant."

That should do it.

wait, arent you the guy in that non-stop around the world race thingy.
Busted!

In other news, An oldie but goodie. Not on an island but yep..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM