DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flew in a cool place and got yelled at for it.. Crazy Lady

<100m

I will be on Skye in Sept and will take my Platinum. I will fly it with no one around hopefully, that should be easy, and within the rules. If anyone accosts me I shall say its within the rules and please go away. Fellow sailor BTW, lovely shots.

• Haha
Reactions: MavicFT1P
I will be on Skye in Sept and will take my Platinum. I will fly it with no one around hopefully, that should be easy, and within the rules. If anyone accosts me I shall say its within the rules and please go away. Fellow sailor BTW, lovely shots.
Hellloo Sailor!

Im going to call you Sailor Moon, unless you have any objections?

that ratio is unacceptable. if you were eating lunch on a bench in the city park and 1 out of 10 people came up to you and harassed you for eating a sandwich out in public, how would you feel?

that number is too high and if it's going to get higher, we're in trouble.
1 out of every 10 of 7billion

Well MavicFT1P You can call me Sailor Moon if you like, whatever that means. However I am not a complete fool. I have a Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate and am an examiner for the ICC (International Certificate of Competence). I have also done exciting things such as cutting up Neil Kinnock as he was turning into Labour Party HQ, and have eaten one of Roger Whittaker's tomatoes from his garden.

We shall be going to extreme N Scotland and Skye again this year for a month in our Electric Kona, went 3 years ago in the Zoe.

I have been flying drones for several years, cheepie £50 ones not very well , but then an Anafi and now a Platinum. The Anafi was nice but hung up and crashed. Got a refund eventually and now have the Platinum. A different animal. I did stupidly damage it flying inside but the insurance worked well and it cost me £100, but pleased.
There is a lot to learn with the Platinum, it also helps me instinctively flying it like helming a small responsive yacht. However I am a hanger on with yachts because my wife turned up with triplets 27 years ago and I sold mine. But I get out frequently and am working up to active track on my friends boats. I will be careful.
Great forum.

Hey, got a crazy lady today, too. She: gets out to a public park, sets up picnic, undresses to bikini, gets out and yells at me to "point the drone away from her".

I promptly told her the drone *is* actually turned 180 away from her, she's in a public space, and if I pointed the drone at her, she'd look like a 3x3 blob of pixels from 80m AGL.

I swear, the worst part of this hobby is tech illiterate bystanders.

Reactions: istrait and Drgnfli
Hey, got a crazy lady today, too. She: gets out to a public park, sets up picnic, undresses to bikini, gets out and yells at me to "point the drone away from her".

I promptly told her the drone *is* actually turned 180 away from her, she's in a public space, and if I pointed the drone at her, she'd look like a 3x3 blob of pixels from 80m AGL.

I swear, the worst part of this hobby is tech illiterate bystanders.

Now you know you had it on full zoom and fast take !!

Nice Shot man.

I have had people come up to me in the local park here and commend me on how I'm operating my Zoom. Like when someone is walking past I raise the drown above head level and wait till they pass , a lot of them recount stories of people not so careful. Stories of people purposely frightening children and 'dive bombing' people with their drones. Luckily people in the park here tend to watch your actions first before going ballistic.

FYI
There are no laws of trespass in Scotland
I Can come and pitch my tent in your back garden without any fear of retribution from the law.
You may set your friendly Rottweilers on to me of course, but that's another matter.
I got the same thing from a lady on a Royal owned estate until the member of staff she had complained too, informed her that I had permission and was filming for TV.
She then changed her tune and asked if she would be included in the footage?!?!?
Main thing, keep calm. Keep quiet. And ignore...... They LOVE that

My ratio is about 1:10 . One person out of ten wants to create a confrontation and tell me what the laws are. Some want to get physical which is crazy ! I am flying a drone for god sakes.

When I see them stomping up towards me I keep my bird in the air and point the camera at them and myself. Never land. They can kick your drone - throw it in the ocean and a whole host of other not so nice things.

Plus it occupies a hand to pick it up and hold it when that hand may be needed to defend oneself.

After I do that I make sure my pepper spray canister is well within reach and allow them to see that I am adjusting it.

Then I continually state " I dont answer questions" Over and over again in a firm tone that does not cause me to raise my voice. I let them vent and if they direct a question or want response from me I state " I dont answer questions"

Then I just stare blankly at them. People by and large cannot handle an emotionless blank stare for long. Their intent is to drag you into thier world of hate and I prefer to stay in my own world of gleeful flying. Why dip into thier world even for a second?
The word you are looking for is "brandish". You brandish your pepper spray. Be careful as this is generally considered assault.

Adjusting it from a fixed position means just that . Adjusting or making sure its molded clip is seated well within my pocket. Thats not brandishing. It wont matter very much as the other person will most likely claim brandishing as I claim fear of violence. Jump Ball.

Adjusting it from a fixed position means just that . Adjusting or making sure its molded clip is seated well within my pocket. Thats not brandishing. It wont matter very much as the other person will most likely claim brandishing as I claim fear of violence. Jump Ball.
I disagree
Federal law defines brandished as, “with reference to a dangerous weapon (including a firearm) means that all or part of the weapon was displayed, or the presence of the weapon was otherwise made known to another person, in order to intimidate that person, regardless of whether the weapon was directly visible to that person. Accordingly, although the dangerous weapon does not have to be directly visible, the weapon must be present.” (18 USCS Appx § 1B1.1)
Pepper spray, although made from an item you can get in the produce section, is considered a weapon by most civilized countries, and is restricted to some extent in nearly all of them. Pepper spray causes temporary blindness, pain, breathing problems and panic: when it's used excessively, it can kill.

View attachment 74438

NEIST POINT isle of Skye
That's my yacht in background
came ashore flew bird
took some pics hope you like
landed bird
lady comes up to me real close
I'm on my knees putting stuff in a bag
Why do feel the need to do that .. she points at the drone
anyhoo long conversation with her taking no other opinion than I'm a huligan and should be put to jail.

I asked her really nicely several times to go away and explained the thing was on the ground and we are leaving in our boat.

Still she rants on and on and sorry chaps I [Language removed by Admin] lose it.
Told her [Language removed by Admin] and put it on Facebook.
Lady is now going mental
my Mrs steps up and explains to said lady she needs to go immediately
Lady storms away to me lossing it telling her get of my island
We left and continued to enjoy sailing round this fab island
Hope you don't meet her.

View attachment 74441
Great Photos

Reactions: MACK AIR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics