DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flickering video?

fredbjor

Reactions
Hello! Went to my mamas summerhouse. Recorded my drone videos both at "totall auto", and manual D-log -3, -3, -3. Got back home and started to edit. Used the free Dji X5 D-log... something Lut on my D-log videos.

But, when showing on my Led-tv I think the high contrast scenes flicker. (flimmrar in swedish).

What to do?

Do you think there is a problem with NTCS/PAL? I use NTCS, cause of the extra frames...

I have my video settings as +1,0,0 at 4k, excellent on Samsung UHD tv.

Don't use -3 (or -2, or -1 or 0) for sharpening. On recent firmwares that turns on the terrible noise reduction and kills details. Forget what the LUT says.
Flicking video is an issue with the codec used combined with the very low bit rate used for 4K video. Every 8th frame will be a key frame and the next 7 will be just a compressed difference model. Hence the video flickers every 8 frames.
Only solution is to film in 2.7K or use neat video and a profile to correct.

Here is a thread with a lot of discussion on the topic:
Mavic Pro: why DJI doesn't fix this huge flickering/compression problem?

During the first 5 or so pages they seem to agree to shoot -1 (or -2 in very demanding scenes or 4k) sharpness with 2.7k. D-Log. The key is to expose to the right to retain the details in your video and bring them back in post. I am trying this method at the moment but haven't had the time to go out and fly recently.

After that a few new people join the discussion claiming that the only way to keep the details is to use +1 sharpness. It's unclear wether or not they actually tried exposing to the right while using -1 sharpness and since this is, as previously explained in the same thread, crucial to keep the details it would be interesting to see how that unfolds. The ones that came to the -1 conclusion during the first 5 pages has not responded to the last few posts.

Hi! I shot some scenes in our beatiful archpelago. I think that for now I skip D-log, because the work to get the colors right take too much time....! I used normal, 0, 0, 0. On my laptop it looks allright, but on a full hd led teve, for example the oceann from high in the sky - with flicker...

Hi! I shot some scenes in our beatiful archpelago. I think that for now I skip D-log, because the work to get the colors right take too much time....! I used normal, 0, 0, 0. On my laptop it looks allright, but on a full hd led teve, for example the oceann from high in the sky - with flicker...

What editing software are you using? I used to think it there would be much effort in color correcting but then i watched this video:
Started using DaVinci Resolve (free) after this and never looked back.

"Love" my simple Cyberlink powerdirector, but yes I have tried Resolve. Bought a Lut-package too. As I wrote before flew over an island and ocean. Used d-log. -1, -3, -3. ND-filter allmost all the time. But the colorI think is not correct!

Do you have any of that on youtube or similar that we could look at?

Anyway, i think the baseline about the flickering is that there will be some no matter what you do.

Here's a quick edit i made just now of a short clip from my home village in northern Sweden. I didn't fly with the intention of editing and posting this later so its a bit choppy as well as lacking a ND-filter (you can see the prop reflection when the sun starts entering the frame).

All i did in DaVinci resolve was to find a middle point between the darkest frame and lightest frame and stretched the histograms bottom and top like in the tutorial video above, as well as increasing the mids just a bit and increasing the saturation.

If memory serves me correct, this was shot using -1, 0, 0, D-Log.

I did not test this on a TV though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan