DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight logs. Concerned.

Hehe, being a new member.... I was wondering what kind of community this was. Been fairly polite and excited to meet new people in the drone . Wasn't expecting people to post memes to solidify their view points. Totally remind me of that kid in class who raises their hand to ask the teacher about collecting yesterdays homework. Dont be that guy. But remember, we can work better together. :p

Wait, intelligent thinking person? Denial is something I tell ya! No way you can go around covering your eyes and ears and claim intelligence. Come off foolish. And it's NOT a personal attack on you but rather a observation. Going over the terms with dji, they clearly State there's data collected and can use it as they wish. In a world where data is worth it's weight in gold, it's going to be shared. And when it does, gotta hope it's used fairly and not abused. Ignorance is not a defense.
You seem to have your mind pretty well made up and a fairly poor grasp of the facts.
I doubt anything would convince you so I'll leave you to enjoy your conspiratorial fantasies.
I'd suggest a kite might be a more appropriate flying toy for you and your uninformed fears.

You seem to have your mind pretty well made up and a fairly poor grasp of the facts.
I doubt anything would convince you so I'll leave you to enjoy your conspiratorial fantasies.
I'd suggest a kite might be a more appropriate flying toy for you and your uninformed fears.
Says the guy in denial. :p Suggest removing your hands from eyes. And thank you, you are dismissed.

I registered with DJI when I first got the Mavic Air, I thought I had to. It was only for the first 30 days and that was it, I did not register again. I assume i am off it.
I would not worry about China looking at drone activity, with the satellite capability they have today they can read the insignia on the shoulder of our military officers,
and can look down on any GPS coordinates they wish, just like we do. They certainly are not interested in our sports arenas or local government areas. the movement of government
officials military bases, sure, but not what our drones are doing.

Reactions: Pietros
I registered with DJI when I first got the Mavic Air, I thought I had to. It was only for the first 30 days and that was it, I did not register again. I assume i am off it.
I would not worry about China looking at drone activity, with the satellite capability they have today they can read the insignia on the shoulder of our military officers,
and can look down on any GPS coordinates they wish, just like we do. They certainly are not interested in our sports arenas or local government areas. the movement of government
officials military bases, sure, but not what our drones are doing.

Actually, my concern isn't China but since its been brought up.... It's a good topic but no knowledge over it. My main concern is certain people going over footage and suspecting illegal flight paths, then leading to the logs to verify. Breaking or not breaking the law... It's a bit shady. Reminds me of all the people being contacted about their YouTube drone footage. Not saying they are extracting flight path logs... But can see it happening. Don't need a brain to foresee that like some people claim.

Also... why are people so up in arms butthurt over this topic? Some guy started posting memes like a school girl and another was thumbing his nose in the air like he was Einsten. Both foaming at the mouth. Hate to get negative since it derails any topic to a poo monkey flinging fest. Would be nice to just leave a comment and move on. But getting your panties all strung high on your butt crack just rubs people the wrong way! And no, you don't come off intelligent. Please keep it clean so we can talk. Don't agree with it? Just ignore and go somewhere else where YOU feel safe and comfortable. Thxs to the few that are knowledge in this topic who were respectful.
Yeah, I get where your coming from. My thoughts on DJI were that its a business, and as a business they would look at the logs for information on average flight times, where are most of the drones sold or located, how many show crashes and why did they crash in order to possibly improve their drones or profits, but it may be just a guess.

Yeah, I get where your coming from. My thoughts on DJI were that its a business, and as a business they would look at the logs for information on average flight times, where are most of the drones sold or located, how many show crashes and why did they crash in order to possibly improve their drones or profits, but it may be just a guess.
Yep, business is what I'm leaning towards. Let's hope no new regulations come in place leading to logs being abused.

Just want to throw my 2 cents into the discussion since I'm a little bit paranoid as a newbie too. Things used to be a lot more secure back in the 40's & 50's when I grew up as a kid in the country. No internet, Facebook, YouTube, social media, etc. Good old B&W TV with round tubes, Mickey Mouse Club, Abbott & Costello and I Love Lucy. Nowadays with all the information we share willingly with the world anyone can find out anything they want about you with tools like TruthFinder for a few bucks. Google Earth can show exactly where you live and even 3D photos of your house to anyone who cares to look. To us these images are a year or two old but to the governments who control these satellites they are live views. Spying is everywhere so you might as well fact up to it that you're being watched and listened to by the own technology you embrace. Yes, when I bought my MPP drone the first thing I did was try out the camera without props and took images in my living room, TV, wife and myself. Now these images are inside my DJI Go 4 app and I can't figure out how to delete them. Am I paranoid, yes! Is that going to stop me from flying and enjoying the hobby, NO... I've flown RC fixed wing planes over the past 10 years and I'm a member of my local AMA club. I enjoy the hobby in my retirement years even though DJI or the Chinese want to spy on me that isn't going to stop me. I'm not one to be easily intimidated by police, governments or bullies. I'm a Harley rider even today and I stand up for my rights when necessary. America is the Land of the Free and we have to protect our rights or lose them to government controls. Drones will be under attack over the next few years and if we don't protect our rights of the hobby it will be over regulated and we'll lose it. Don't be paranoid, protect our hobby!

Just want to throw my 2 cents into the discussion since I'm a little bit paranoid as a newbie too. Things used to be a lot more secure back in the 40's & 50's when I grew up as a kid in the country. No internet, Facebook, YouTube, social media, etc. Good old B&W TV with round tubes, Mickey Mouse Club, Abbott & Costello and I Love Lucy. Nowadays with all the information we share willingly with the world anyone can find out anything they want about you with tools like TruthFinder for a few bucks. Google Earth can show exactly where you live and even 3D photos of your house to anyone who cares to look. To us these images are a year or two old but to the governments who control these satellites they are live views. Spying is everywhere so you might as well fact up to it that you're being watched and listened to by the own technology you embrace. Yes, when I bought my MPP drone the first thing I did was try out the camera without props and took images in my living room, TV, wife and myself. Now these images are inside my DJI Go 4 app and I can't figure out how to delete them. Am I paranoid, yes! Is that going to stop me from flying and enjoying the hobby, NO... I've flown RC fixed wing planes over the past 10 years and I'm a member of my local AMA club. I enjoy the hobby in my retirement years even though DJI or the Chinese want to spy on me that isn't going to stop me. I'm not one to be easily intimidated by police, governments or bullies. I'm a Harley rider even today and I stand up for my rights when necessary. America is the Land of the Free and we have to protect our rights or lose them to government controls. Drones will be under attack over the next few years and if we don't protect our rights of the hobby it will be over regulated and we'll lose it. Don't be paranoid, protect our hobby!

Well said! Only disagreement, not paranoia.. concern! We know our cell phones spy. And countless of other devices. But having concerns over how you data will be used is valid. Of course you will have certain types that will moan how they disagree, and they are welcomed to give out their opinion. But a belittled approach just expose them as fools. Again... my only concern is our logs being given out to track illegal or legal flights to slap us with fines and push more regulations.

Of course you will have certain types that will moan how they disagree, and they are welcomed to give out their opinion. But a belittled approach just expose them as fools. Again... my only concern is our logs being given out to track illegal or legal flights to slap us with fines and push more regulations.
Of course you'll have some who actually know what really happens with flight data and others that want to ignore that because it gets in the way of paranoid fantasies.
Your flight logs are completely private .. unless you choose to share them.
And if you knew what was actually in them you wouldn't worry at all.
The idea of flight data somehow given out is fanciful nonsense.

Of course you'll have some who actually know what really happens with flight data and others that want to ignore that because it gets in the way of paranoid fantasies.
Disagreed. You or I don't know the whole scope of data collected and what the future holds for that data. You can claim you do, butbthats a whole different subject.

You don’t even have to fly your drone, just opening Go4 contacts addresses that people don’t know what they do. Have a look at the Data Leakage section halfway down here. about:start [dji.retroroms.info]
If you don’t want to leak data, don’t use the internet.

Yep... talking to a few other more experienced drone tech guys, that's the consensus. Fly airplane mode or kill the web all together when flying. Nobody knows what's collected but the DJI data center. And we know they are in talks with governments about regulation. That alone should raise a eye brow. But again... I will fly mines responsibly. Hope the day don't come where I get a FAA letter saying I'm being investigated for illegal flight that I was not aware of. Thank you guys for the inputs! Even the meme guys! Still value their opinion!

Why do you think DJI needs to use our flight data to collect location info?

Why wouldn’t “they” simply use Google Earth?

If your device is connected to the internet at some point, someone somewhere is collecting data on you. I don't think that is in question. What they are collecting and how and for what purpose that data is used is what sets companies apart. However, isn't there a simple solution to this if one is worried about DJI or anyone else snooping on their activity. Have a dedicated phone or tablet for flying - never connect said tab or phone to the internet once the DJI app is installed and configured. Doesn't that solve the issue? That would mean no firmware updates though.

Please provide a reference explaining why you think this. You say it so much it’s almost like you’ve been brainwashed into thinking it but have never provided any kind of reference material to back it up.

DJI says otherwise and I provided reference to them telling you they aren’t so until you provide evidence for this you either don’t know what you are talking about or your are spreading false information

Why do you think DJI needs to use our flight data to collect location info?

Why wouldn’t “they” simply use Google Earth?
They can collect to analyze and give us better technology anonymously . I'm all for that. My concern would be linking all of our logs and handing it to government entities where it will be abused. Search for drone tickets on youtube. There is a branch that is searching for drone footage with illegal flights. Then dox and send a office to hand you a ticket. And of course, breaking one of the rules merits a ticket. But what about the times where rules are broken by accidental reasons? Like let's at a up draft sends your drone ABOVE the 400ft limit. Then a system flags your drone and ticket is on its way. That's just a scenario. Or maybe you are flying a drone perfectly legal and suddenly you have a no fly zone pop in place due to a helicopter taking off or a Stadium game starts? Now your drone being far away has to fly back but breaking the no fly rule. Drone gets flagged and here comes another ticket. These are probably scenarios and flight logs can make it real. We are not there yet.... what's stopping government from making this law? This is looking far into the future and analyzing potential outcomes for us all. We stay quiet and complicit...... we the people always get shafted. Again.... my opinion.

Last edited:
If your device is connected to the internet at some point, someone somewhere is collecting data on you. I don't think that is in question. What they are collecting and how and for what purpose that data is used is what sets companies apart. However, isn't there a simple solution to this if one is worried about DJI or anyone else snooping on their activity. Have a dedicated phone or tablet for flying - never connect said tab or phone to the internet once the DJI app is installed and configured. Doesn't that solve the issue? That would mean no firmware updates though.
Yep...... that's what someone recommended. It would be a solution but takes away the fun or even critical updates for the drone. It's a DJI thing unfortunately and I am sure they themselves aren't happy but have to comply with the FAA in order to do business. You can go with other company drones but God ****! Dji drones are top quality!

Please provide a reference explaining why you think this. You say it so much it’s almost like you’ve been brainwashed into thinking it but have never provided any kind of reference material to back it up.

DJI says otherwise and I provided reference to them telling you they aren’t so until you provide evidence for this you either don’t know what you are talking about or your are spreading false information
Wanted to say he sounds like a shill, making everyone go quiet and complicit. But I think he is more uneducated on the matter and just spews nonsense for his own ego. I am sure he is a nice fellow, just won't rationalize reasonable.

Yep...... that's what someone recommended. It would be a solution but takes away the fun or even critical updates for the drone. It's a DJI thing unfortunately and I am sure they themselves aren't happy but have to comply with the FAA in order to do business. You can go with other company drones but God ****! Dji drones are top quality!
I recently updated both Go4 and drone firmware to a level that gave me features that were available that I wanted without going anywhere near DJI’s servers. Fly with Aircraft mode on and don’t synchronise flight data. Maps can be cached from Here maps. YOU don’t need DJI to comply with the FAA.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d