DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight logs. Concerned.

I recently updated both Go4 and drone firmware to a level that gave me features that were available that I wanted without going anywhere near DJI’s servers. Fly with Aircraft mode on and don’t synchronise flight data. Maps can be cached from Here maps.
Awesome dude! Yeah, will make this a habit. You pretty much echoed what I have been told by other forums. Cheers from America!

There is a ton of sensitive and private information already collected on most people. This is the reality of the time we live in. This information will probably be abused by some entities at some point. I personally believe it will be by companies rather than the government primarily due to the general incompetence of the latter. I take all reasonable safeguards with my information but knowing that I do not have complete control over it, I do not let it dictate how I live and enjoy my life.

There is a ton of sensitive and private information already collected on most people. This is the reality of the time we live in. This information will probably be abused by some entities at some point. I personally believe it will be by companies rather than the government primarily due to the general incompetence of the latter. I take all reasonable safeguards with my information but knowing that I do not have complete control over it, I do not let it dictate how I live and enjoy my life.

Yep, it comes to the point where everyone is over whelmed by data collectors. Incredible.... phones,fridges,TV's,watches,laptops,PC's,Cars,BankCards and everything under the sun is collecting data. Being a total noob on Drones, I wasn't aware that the tentacles even reached these devices. Watching YT videos of people getting amazing landscape shots, I figured it's just a camera with GPS assistance and the video/pics collected were yours to keep and private. Then I come across people expressing their concerns on DJI logging in EVERYTHING on the drone...... made me wonder where we will end up with this. Rules are still being written and limits are being applied by the firmware. Them I thought, "if they have the flight log... A.I. can instantly flag every small infraction and DOX everyone for a fine that YOU have to prove wrong. Money maker! And where there is money involved, bet you government entities are interested.

... I figured it's just a camera with GPS assistance and the video/pics collected were yours to keep and private.

It can absolutely be that if you want it to be - the choice is yours. In this digital age we live in, you either choose convenience or privacy. You can't have both.

Reactions: BossBob
Yep, it comes to the point where everyone is over whelmed by data collectors. Incredible.... phones,fridges,TV's,watches,laptops,PC's,Cars,BankCards and everything under the sun is collecting data. Being a total noob on Drones, I wasn't aware that the tentacles even reached these devices. Watching YT videos of people getting amazing landscape shots, I figured it's just a camera with GPS assistance and the video/pics collected were yours to keep and private. Then I come across people expressing their concerns on DJI logging in EVERYTHING on the drone...... made me wonder where we will end up with this. Rules are still being written and limits are being applied by the firmware. Them I thought, "if they have the flight log... A.I. can instantly flag every small infraction and DOX everyone for a fine that YOU have to prove wrong. Money maker! And where there is money involved, bet you government entities are interested.

I think you have too high of an opinion of government. I have personally been involved in numerous professional dealings with different branches of government where they have opted for paying 5 to 10 times the going rate for products just so it fits within their bureaucracy. I have another personal situation where it has taken one government agency 3 years, and counting, to figure out I owe them some money. Like I said, incompetence. I’m not worried.

I think you have too high of an opinion of government. I have personally been involved in numerous professional dealings with different branches of government where they have opted for paying 5 to 10 times the going rate for products just so it fits within their bureaucracy. I have another personal situation where it has taken one government agency 3 years, and counting, to figure out I owe them some money. Like I said, incompetence. I’m not worried.
True to some extent. Ever seen how fast they move when there is money to be made? I would enjoy this field as much as you can, new regulation are coming down the pipe along with abuse. Only time will tell...

True to some extent. Ever seen how fast they move when there is money to be made? I would enjoy this field as much as you can, new regulation are coming down the pipe along with abuse. Only time will tell...

You may have missed my point. I have literally tried to give them money multiple times and they have refused. If they do anything it will probably not be for the money but rather to try to control us in a misguided attempt to protect us from ourselves.

You may have missed my point. I have literally tried to give them money multiple times and they have refused. If they do anything it will probably not be for the money but rather to try to control us in a misguided attempt to protect us from ourselves.
Ahh... I see your point. That sounds like the nanny state we currently are. Well, now at this point and after having flustered so mhh feathers....... It's a waiting game.

Am I being too paranoid
IMHO Yes
What are you doing that they would want to know.
If spy-ware is installed, Norton or any other anti-virus is going to find it. There is a LOT of software that is not US based, ANY software could be carrying ransom-ware or spy-ware.
Sit back, enjoy your bird and don't do any stupid flying.

Reactions: Pietros and Drbobk
Disagreed. You or I don't know the whole scope of data collected and what the future holds for that data. You can claim you do, butbthats a whole different subject.

You've repeatedly posted the dire consequences of what you believe DJI is doing with the log files which begs the question, why are you still using a DJI device? if you truly believe DJI are as awful as you keep trying to claim then you lose all credibility by continuing to use their products.

I am not naive in the data collection technology companies increasingly use and it's certainly beneficial to discuss those technically and how to reduce or mitigate exposure but that's not what you or this thread does, it's just vague and generic comments.

IMHO Yes
What are you doing that they would want to know.
If spy-ware is installed, Norton or any other anti-virus is going to find it. There is a LOT of software that is not US based, ANY software could be carrying ransom-ware or spy-ware.
Sit back, enjoy your bird and don't do any stupid flying.

I don't think you read the thread, my point is what will DJI do when he flight logs are requested to be used against drone flyer. Malware isn't my personal concern honestly. You have to consider the firs a gen mavic with little restriction, noe fast forward to today.... people are installing custom firmware to bypass all the limits. Now think about the logs that we don't know how much is collected... wh at can you do with those logs? Lots of things.. too many examples. The number 1 concern for me would be the logs being used to fine everyone for small accidental infractions. No more searching for videos online for videos taken in no fly one like some parks. Imagine a central data base with only real time logs being added everyday. And the software automatically determine if ANY regulations were breached. If so, drone ID is collected and fine is at the door. That's a possible future. I.T guy here. I could say more but it's not the proper forum. Just trying to bring awareness and trying to feel how this community feels about it. So far.... It's a mixed results. But glad people are at least aware where we are heading. Again.... solely my opinion.

You've repeatedly posted the dire consequences of what you believe DJI is doing with the log files which begs the question, why are you still using a DJI device? if you truly believe DJI are as awful as you keep trying to claim then you lose all credibility by continuing to use their products.

I am not naive in the data collection technology companies increasingly use and it's certainly beneficial to discuss those technically and how to reduce or mitigate exposure but that's not what you or this thread does, it's just vague and generic comments.
Maybe you haven't read the thread fully. Total noob to the drone world. Dji absolutely makes the best drones. It's why I bought one. What was a surprise was the level of control each firmware has done. And it's for safe reasons of course! But one has to question where the future is going too. Pretty much what I have repeated due to responds. Otherwise, what's the point of discussion? Vague and generic to some maybe, but not for all.

But by the responses on this site, people seem to care less on the data end. And it's understandable.... we all ju st want to fly nd not be bothered. Being involved in the data end on other board discussion, I can assure you it's a fair concern. And not necessarily NOW, but for the future. Again.... we have to give it time! That's the key. Then..... take it from there.

As I said, it's not listening in on private conversations. They are listening to actual commands you give to Alexa on purpose.

Amazon has come out saying they have a "small" group of employees who do listen to convos it records here and there either by accident or for technical improvements. Dont quote me! lol. but you can google the report.

Here you go.

Last edited:
What's incredible how easily people dismiss Corps and govs listening, watching and snooping on us. Always found that intriguing.

Anyone else feel a bit uneasy with dji keeping logs? Just received a update like 2 days ago and now the drone won't fly since there's a baseball game and I'm within the stadium radius ban. The controller asked to put in my phone number and said it will transmit my unit number and then let me fly. Lol. I don't know about this. Im still within the 2 weeks return window and hate to return this zoom drone. Really like it. I can imagine under the right people, someone can access the logs and throw people in deep fines after reviewing log files by A.I. when some dummy illegally flies their drone into a plane one day. Am I being too paranoid?
Had the same problem with an update that wouldnt let me fly in most places near my house as I live within 10 kms of an airport. Solution : returned the drone *** unfit for purpose and bought the exact same model again and never updated the software . Absolutely no problem thereafter.

Had the same problem with an update that wouldnt let me fly in most places near my house as I live within 10 kms of an airport. Solution : returned the drone *** unfit for purpose and bought the exact same model again and never updated the software . Absolutely no problem thereafter.
Yep... Considering doing that. Crossed my mind. Mavic gen1 has a custom firmware that people throw in that eliminate the restrictions. Soon gen2 should have I according to a few pimple I spoken too. Ohh... And with dead DJI server ports. Big plus for me. I might dwell into the firmware coding myself.

Also, It should have asked you for your phone number and the option the click "I have gotten clearance" selection to bypass the restriction. I threw in a ip burner number, got the code and unlocked. It's a nice safe feature but I think it will he a permanent ban down the road.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada