DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight logs. Concerned.

So True about Alexa. Also remember the case where a judge ordered have the Alexa recordings? If they can do that with Alexa, I think they can also do it to drones but in flight logs. And YES, one Moran can ruin it for everyone, but I'm more concerned with over reaching and suddenly everyone's logs are in a agencies hands and everyone gets fines for the smallest infractions like entering a edge of a 5 mile zone or National Park. And not on purpose but
You want to lay your trust 100% on all government entities, by all means do it. But some of us will always have concerns.
I’m more concerned about corporate spying. Facebook the Phone Companies The search engines. Credit card companies. Uber. Etc

...... Really?! China doesn’t need your drone or the 100,000 users who bought them when they can just access the 300 million Americans on Facebook.
Really!

Some information is not readily available via Facebook or even reconnaissance satellite. Another country may wish details regarding the current structure of critical bridges and other infrastructure to more effectively place explosives in the future.

Really!

Some information is not readily available via Facebook or even reconnaissance satellite. Another country may wish details regarding the current structure of critical bridges and other infrastructure to more effectively place explosives in the future.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to visit and get it themselves?

You mean like a foreign national visiting the Florida White House "to swim" with multiple electronic devices including a USB drive with self-installing malware?

Sometimes those visiting nationals end up in federal prison. It's less risky to use a satellite (or a drone, monitored remotely by the nation).

Certainly, there are lots of surveillance methods. Most all nations have and deploy multiple means on contingency.

You mean like a foreign national visiting the Florida White House "to swim" with multiple electronic devices including a USB drive with self-installing malware?

Sometimes those visiting nationals end up in federal prison. It's less risky to use a satellite (or a drone, monitored remotely by the nation).

Certainly, there are lots of surveillance methods. Most all nations have and deploy multiple means on contingency.

No - I don't mean that at all, as I'm sure you are perfectly well aware.

But since you bring it up, you think that consumer drones, covertly monitored by DJI, are a better way to check out the White House than a visiting tourist?

This thread is becoming pretty hilarious, so many paranoias about drone data and aerial photography it makes me laugh. We as a society are so open with the internet, phone hacks, alexa, cameras on streets & interstates everywhere, global satellites that can zoom in and see you like they're perched 10 feet above. If foreign governments wanted to snoop on your drone data that would seem pretty trivial compared to the high tech methods used by the Intelligence agency's in the world. Those of you who are seriously concerned should buy a toy drone without data transmission or the alternative maybe change your lifestyle to that of a hermit with zero technology, no phone, no internet, no devices with cams or mics. Maybe consider joining the Amish lifestyle and live a simple existence?

Anyone else feel a bit uneasy with dji keeping logs? Just received a update like 2 days ago and now the drone won't fsince there's a baseball game and I'm within the stadium radius ban. The controller asked to put in my phone number and said it will transmit my unit number and then let me fly. Lol. I don't know about this. Im still within the 2 weeks return window and hate to return this zoom drone. Really like it. I can imagine under the right people, someone can access the logs and throw people in deep fines after reviewing log files by A.I. when some dummy illegally flies their drone into a plane one day. Am I being too paranoid?
U arent my phantom 3 advanced was 9 miles from grand rapids airport at 200 ft. no threat. When I turned it around to come back home. I had control over it. No wind no fly way. However it was hijacked by the airport personnel and I cant get back. Wtf

U arent my phantom 3 advanced was 9 miles from grand rapids airport at 200 ft. no threat. When I turned it around to come back home. I had control over it. No wind no fly way. However it was hijacked by the airport personnel and I cant get back. Wtf

That's really interesting. And I can absolutely guarantee that's not what happened.

I have to concur with sar104.
Perhaps more details/specifics would clarify.
Why would airport personnel be 9 miles from their place of employment... and why didn’t you report the incident as theft?

Reactions: Pietros
There'd be thousands of flight logs being uploaded to their servers every day. I don't know if DJI would bother going through them, even if they use a software to do it, so they can be the drone police and snitch on their customers. But if they do, I guess people who did get fined from it would make it known to the wider community and DJI would get a bad press and potentially lose customers, or customers just chose to flight in airplane mode and not upload logs. And if it's a minor infraction and a once off, I dont know if agencies waste time and resources to hunt down the perpetrator to issue them a fine.
A lot of modern cars logs the cars activities; location, speed, etc. I am more than certain Tesla does it, for their 'AI auto pilot improvements', and upload those logs to their servers automatically. I mean, they already do auto software updates when the car is at home. But haven't heard of any news that car companies submitting logs to traffic cops so they can issue fines. I mean, who needs speed cameras when modern car companies are prepared to snitch on their customers. Fingers crossed we are n't heading down that path! If a car had an accident, then authorities would be pulling those logs from the car.
You are absolutely correct. Do people realize that their face and license plate are recorded all day long by all kinds of cameras? If you are not doing anything illegal then don't worry. The "deep state" has enough information following the bad guys to worry about someone flying their drone too close to a park.

I am using a samsung tablet that only has wifi as a screen for the drone. This is the only thing I use it for.
Flight data is only downloaded to that and with no internet connection unless I turn it on then the data stays with me.
To my knowledge tne drone can't send info by itself.
Although I am in Australia.

I am using a samsung tablet that only has wifi as a screen for the drone. This is the only thing I use it for.
Flight data is only downloaded to that and with no internet connection unless I turn it on then the data stays with me.
To my knowledge tne drone can't send info by itself.
Although I am in Australia.
If you launch data into the atmosphere rest assured someone can capture it if desired.

Reason asked was since all these regulations are coming and it would be dumb for gov agencies not to have access to these logs and then screw everyone. I really hope it's private like a user said here about choosing to upload. Googling lead me to people flying in airplane mode. :ý
When you say "Drone" to some people they get images of a big old drone peeping into their window looking some old person.
There are more airplane accidents due to the fault of pilot errors.

Maybe we should just call drones "flying bird dogs" That will confuse the old busy bodyies out there.

So True about Alexa. Also remember the case where a judge ordered have the Alexa recordings? If they can do that with Alexa, I think they can also do it to drones but in flight logs. And YES, one Moran can ruin it for everyone, but I'm more concerned with over reaching and suddenly everyone's logs are in a agencies hands and everyone gets fines for the smallest infractions like entering a edge of a 5 mile zone or National Park. And not on purpose but by miscalculations.

It was on the 8th of April, the deadline for rebuttle to the FAA about rule changes.
I did say they need to take little used rual airport (cow patty) landing sites that maybe one
airplane may land in a year. Also change rural airports to 3 mile landing and glide slope and 1 mile each side of these airports.

I believe the rule makers are over-reacting about the whole thing.
If a bad guy wants to fly his home made drone into harms way who is going to stop him.

Fly with common sense and don't do anything stupid.

It was on the 8th of April, the deadline for rebuttle to the FAA about rule changes.
I did say they need to take little used rual airport (cow patty) landing sites that maybe one
airplane may land in a year. Also change rural airports to 3 mile landing and glide slope and 1 mile each side of these airports.

I believe the rule makers are over-reacting about the whole thing.
If a bad guy wants to fly his home made drone into harms way who is going to stop him.

Fly with common sense and don't do anything stupid.
VPN ? Blocker?20190421_024902.jpeg

Reactions: MavicMikeK
I haven't seen a lot of interesting subject matter that foreign entities would be interested in on here. I say keep posting videos of dive bombing sea gulls and footballs field. Perhaps we cn bore them yo death...

When you say "Drone" to some people they get images of a big old drone peeping into their window looking some old person.
There are more airplane accidents due to the fault of pilot errors.

Maybe we should just call drones "flying bird dogs" That will confuse the old busy bodyies out there.

I still like the original name of quadcopter better than drone, sounds more RC to us fixed wing rc airplane pilots.

Ok so this has been a mental rollercoaster of a read. I am not going to disrespect any of the previous posted comments, however I am disappointed that not one addressed the elephant in the room.

Did it not occur in the mix of all the spectrum of comments that the only data collected is for a completely different purpose? DJI is more worried about providing a top notch product and maintaining the dominant go to device. Telemetry data, sharpness, and stabilization data, power usage levels, signal quality, and latency. All of these things require huge amounts of source data to correct the deficiency in their products. iOS version, Android version, all constantly changing and all of them create "bugs" or "glitches" in the software. They are in a constant battle to provide a product that is reliable for a thousand different uses, in a billion different scenarios and you think they can do all that in house? Each and every one of us is a product tester that gives a unique operation environment for them every time those tones and LEDs are powered on. There's a give and take to everything. You want them to give you a product that is reliable, precise, and does exactly what you are asking of it every time.... You have to provide the data necessary to get it to that level. We the world public consumers are their testing lab.
Look at every other competitors products, they are years behind DJI innovation and quality. I'm sorry for sounding like a scolding parent but at some point you have to remind people that not everything is what it appears to be because of your quick assessment of the why.

Ok so this has been a mental rollercoaster of a read. I am not going to disrespect any of the previous posted comments, however I am disappointed that not one addressed the elephant in the room.

Did it not occur in the mix of all the spectrum of comments that the only data collected is for a completely different purpose? DJI is more worried about providing a top notch product and maintaining the dominant go to device. Telemetry data, sharpness, and stabilization data, power usage levels, signal quality, and latency. All of these things require huge amounts of source data to correct the deficiency in their products. iOS version, Android version, all constantly changing and all of them create "bugs" or "glitches" in the software. They are in a constant battle to provide a product that is reliable for a thousand different uses, in a billion different scenarios and you think they can do all that in house? Each and every one of us is a product tester that gives a unique operation environment for them every time those tones and LEDs are powered on. There's a give and take to everything. You want them to give you a product that is reliable, precise, and does exactly what you are asking of it every time.... You have to provide the data necessary to get it to that level. We the world public consumers are their testing lab.
Look at every other competitors products, they are years behind DJI innovation and quality. I'm sorry for sounding like a scolding parent but at some point you have to remind people that not everything is what it appears to be because of your quick assessment of the why.

I'm sure that you are correct - I've been assuming that it's completely a given that they collect data for that purpose, just like Apple, Google, Samsung etc., and that the discussion is over what else they might collect it for. But it's worth making that point in case it has been overlooked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag