DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flushing Meadows Park NYC -- Flying Field

Rick0504N

Reactions
Short video capturing the flying field at Flushing Meadows Park in Queens, NY. One of the few spots in NYC that are posted as drone-friendly (you can legally fly there) It is just outside the 5 mile zone of LaGuardia Airport.

I did encounter some screens that I had never seen before -- I had to acknowledge that I would fly safely, etc and entered my cell phone number to receive a verification code that I had to enter prior to being able to take off. Only took a few seconds to complete and I was on my way.

Video captures the fenced-in area of the flying field. The larger concrete circles are for tethered aircraft.

Anyway, if you are thinking of stopping by, this is what it looks like. As you can see, right off the Grand Central Parkway. I pretty much stayed within the fences. It was cold and I just wanted to test out some settings and was only there for a short time at sunrise yesterday.

What a great time of the day to fly - beautiful light. You made good use of the available space. Are you restricted to those fences or is that just the take off and landing area? I've seen drone video (Cheeztake) of the old windows on the terrace across the way from where you were...certainly within range.

Edited to link to his video: HERE

Last edited:
I would think the “legal” zone would be within and above the fences. I was only there for a short period of time, so I didn’t venture very far. But there are many videos of folks starting here and heading toward the old World’s Fair Unisphere. And you can see how close the NYS Pavilion is in my video. However, right outside the fenced in area is public park, where folks will picnic, and an active soccer field, so you have to be there early.
I’ll be back for sure. At the very least, it’s nice to fly with line of sight and legally.

This is awesome! :D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre