DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying 25KM in a one way direction without RTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP010

Reactions
I have a question that to my knowledge nobody has an answer for. The thing is: I want to fly my DJI Mini 3 pro in a straight line from point A towards point B. The 45min battery is able to fly for 25KM (that's stated in the manual). So reaching that distance (in a one way direction) is possible. I want to stay with my controller where I am not running along with the drone in order to stay connected. So I made a new theory: what if you fly for like 9KM (in FCC mode) en then change the homepoint to a new spot that is 9KM further than that. My theory was that while after setting the new homepoint and flying further it would of course lose connetion. But then It should fly back without a connection (just like a standard RTH procedure) towards the new homepoint.

However: this does not work as you can not change the homepoint any further then 2KM from the controller I believe. So I could not place the homepoint that far away. Is there a way of disable this or are there other ways to make such a long flight for like 18KM?

The reason that I want to do this is that I want to fly from my house towards my parents house (which is 18KM further away) and let the drone land in their big yard. I know that you should have your drone in visual line of side so please do not comment about that. I am searching for information to succeed in this experiment so creative minds head up ;)

• Angry
Reactions: rickmurray1989
I am searching for information to succeed in this experiment

I don't have this software but have seen it mentioned before.

It allows changes to the aircrafts firmware for the user.

Maybe it'll work for you. 🤔

Good luck.

My first suggestion would be to file the paperwork with the FAA equivalent in the Netherlands to allow you to legally fly BVLOS, before even attempting such a task. I think you will find the hazard mitigation aspect to be the most daunting challenge to this endeavor. The mini 3 pro is not equipped with enough redundant systems to meet the safety criteria required.

Watch the youtube videos of the range test several people have done. They got out 18,500 feet or ~5km before they got turned back by signal loss using the standard controller attached to a phone.

Its a FANTASIC idea for a fantasy world we do not live in.

I love these creative ideas, reminds me of the Idea I had to have an Automated Button Pusher on my Boat to remote start the drone from far away so I could raise straight off the boat to view the sunset from my house made thru my glass window with VLOS. I got everything working perfectly but that transmission signal could not capture the drone so low on the boat.

Sadly the Transmission signal just could not carry to the drone to take off. Boat Interference.

Your idea < Fun being the outlaw for a hot minute is just to dangerous , forget VLOS , if the transmission did cut out, there is every chance of other problems where the RTH and the Second Home Point would not work out and the drone could land in a very comprising Position.

Reminds me of another Idea I had when I was testing out the Parachute and deployed and watched the wind carry my drone from a very safe area to land on the Oncoming freeway.

The problem with these long distance flights is not VLOS or Planes as its always going to be Risky signal and Jealous Birds, sooner or latter if you cant see the drone the birds are going to get you.

Did I tell you about the time I landed on a Building top and the drone reset the home point on me and I forgot. Yeah , lost that one in the River bushes never to be found again.

Sadly I had the Black Wet Suit on the Air 2S and the Remote Find was not good enough to find it in the bushes where i live, so sad.

Now if it would have been the Red Rescue Wet Suit I think I might have found it from the Air.

Moral of the Story my friend all my adventures failed to some degree,

Now I stick with Going up in the Extreme Storms as my chances for Survival are better.

Phamtomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I would stealthily place your drone in your parents' backyard early one morning while they are still asleep. They will think you are brilliant, which all parents want to think of their offspring, and us readers here, being nice guys, promise not to reveal the truth.

I would stealthily place your drone in your parents' backyard early one morning while they are still asleep. They will think you are brilliant, which all parents want to think of their offspring, and us readers here, being nice guys, promise not to reveal the truth.
Flight plan? What flight plan? 🙈🙉🙊
😂
🇨🇦👍

I have a question that to my knowledge nobody has an answer for. The thing is: I want to fly my DJI Mini 3 pro in a straight line from point A towards point B. The 45min battery is able to fly for 25KM (that's stated in the manual). So reaching that distance (in a one way direction) is possible. I want to stay with my controller where I am not running along with the drone in order to stay connected. So I made a new theory: what if you fly for like 9KM (in FCC mode) en then change the homepoint to a new spot that is 9KM further than that. My theory was that while after setting the new homepoint and flying further it would of course lose connetion. But then It should fly back without a connection (just like a standard RTH procedure) towards the new homepoint.

However: this does not work as you can not change the homepoint any further then 2KM from the controller I believe. So I could not place the homepoint that far away. Is there a way of disable this or are there other ways to make such a long flight for like 18KM?

The reason that I want to do this is that I want to fly from my house towards my parents house (which is 18KM further away) and let the drone land in their big yard. I know that you should have your drone in visual line of side so please do not comment about that. I am searching for information to succeed in this experiment so creative minds head up ;)
It is not designed for that! It violates all flight rules.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
The speedometer on my car goes up to 120MPH. But the RULES say I should go 65 for safety.
Should I drive in a straight line to the max of my speedometer?

This will 110% end in disaster. If you're determined to try it, please stay away from property, roads and people because you're a liability to yourself, the drone community and those around you.
Its stuff like this that creates more and more regulations imposed upon us and our hobby.
And yes it will end in total disaster.

Was the question proposed more to get reactions than anything else? That seems to be the case, I'm closing this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31