DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying after a Hurricane

Syphon

Reactions
So, I am "lucky" enough to be in the path of this monster storm, Irma, coming our way. Part of my prepping was charging up the drone. I planned on using it to get a good look at my roof after the storm, and take pictures of any insurance claims I need to make. I also planned on doing this for my parents house, in-laws house and uncles house. In addition, planned on grabbing some footage of the aftermath while I was up in the air.

The FAA sent out the notice below. I am not sure if I am reading it right. Is it saying that even if a TFR is not put in place, I can't legally fly or is it saying I can, but if I interfere with any rescue operation or low flying rescue aircraft I could be in trouble?

Also, at what point is it not considered a disaster zone anymore? Obviously, it will be at least a day or so after before I can fly because winds don't die down till almost 36 hours after the storm passed (to be below 25mph).

upload_2017-9-8_11-11-27.png

Reactions: KiterTodd
Stay safe my drone brother, we got out, but it was a grueling ride to Atlanta in bumper to bumper traffic

Reactions: Syphon
Use common sense. If a TFR is issued and there's rescue activity in your direct area , don't fly. Otherwise, if your're going up to do a roof inspection, tree damage, etc and not fly near hot spots you'll be fine.

There main concern is a private drone flying everywhere doing a "looky loo" and interfering with recovery efforts.

DJI may also decide to ground all drones in the storm's path just to be safe, so you may not have a choice. :p:p:p

So I am not in the path of any storm for a change, and my heart goes out to those who are and I hope they stay safe. But, if it were headed this way I would definitely fly after the storm. However, you have got to have situational awareness. If you hear a plane, or helicopter, or know there are operations going on very near to where you are, then of course I would not fly. But that is just my opinion and as we have found out on here everyone has one and they aren't all the same.

Checking your roof shouldn't be a problem, as you don't need to go up to 100 feet to see the damage (unless you have a rescue copter flying over your roof). The FAA's TFR goes up on their website and they come down after they feel it is safe to fly in those areas. After Harvey, the TFR went up for several days but the FAA released it in many areas outside of downtown Houston but kept it in place there for several more days.

Don't be stupid though. The last thing you want to do is hinder rescue operations for those people that desperately need the help. Next time it may be you and you don't want some idiot preventing a rescue craft getting to you while you're standing on your roof, not looking for damage, but waiting for rescue.

Yes, not planing on getting in the way of anyone or any operation. I will check for TFR's before I fly. The idea is not to play lookie loo but to do a fast inspection of the roof so I know if I need to get up there and tarp it. By time the winds get down to where I can fly it safely, all immediate emergency should be taken care of. I do plan once it is safe to do so, going out with my truck and chainsaw to help neighbors in need. Drone will be used once winds die down to a safe level just for inspections.

Also thanks to all for your concern of safety. I am in Central Florida, we will be hit but nothing like South Florida will be. I have many friends down there and I worry for them. I think Florida is pretty prepared for this storm. We have had all week and everyone is taking it very seriously.

I don't see anything in there that grounds you if there isn't a TFR. It's really pretty simple, and as usual because it's got to be government-speak, it's not articulately clearly. So I will do so, as a public service.

Don't fly around as a rescue rubber-necker.

It's that simple. If you want to launch around your house, or friends and neighbor's houses, to get some damage footage, no problem. Just don't do it if there is any rescue activity within sight or hearing. Go ahead and even fly around the neighborhood a bit, LOS, to get a broader survey. Again, no problem, if you're the only aircraft around.

Also thanks to all for your concern of safety. I am in Central Florida, we will be hit but nothing like South Florida will be. I have many friends down there and I worry for them. I think Florida is pretty prepared for this storm. We have had all week and everyone is taking it very seriously.
No one can prepare for the destruction, and its impact on lives.

I'm not a particularly religious man, but I'm praying for you folks. I'd ask the atheists out there to cast a prayer or two as well... it can't hurt even if you're right :)

No one can prepare for the destruction, and its impact on lives.

I'm not a particularly religious man, but I'm praying for you folks. I'd ask the atheists out there to cast a prayer or two as well... it can't hurt even if you're right :)
Yeah, good news is we had enough time to really prepare. Other storms in the past have made last minute turns giving us just 2-3 days to prepare. This one gave us well over a week.

I fear for the keys, the latest shift has it taking the keys on at Category 5. We were just there 3 months ago for a vacation, got some beautiful shots with the Mavic. This storm is going to change the keys forever.

I will say, neighbors are working together even before the storm. I have met 8 neighbors, we have shared each others phone numbers and are sharing supplies if someone couldn't find something. Recommended curfew starts in 20 hours from now, thanks for the prayers, Florida will need every last one of them.

You're not going to have a chance to fly. This storm is going to offer up unparalleled devastation.

You're not going to have a chance to fly. This storm is going to offer up unparalleled devastation.
Don't give in to all the media hype. Some areas will be devastated, but others will fare ok. I tuned into some national news channels to see they are basically writing all of Florida off like the entire state will be gone. One thing is since 2006, building codes require all homes to be able to withstand a Cat 3 storm with minimal damage. Our home is one of those. It will only be a Cat 4-5 when it makes landfall then dies down to a Cat 2-3 very quickly.

I am in Central Florida, so we are looking at Cat 2-3 here. Most our infrastructure is upgraded to hurricane strength after the 3 major hurricanes hit us back to back in 2004. Now, the Keys and looking like Ft Myers will be devastated as they are taking a direct hit of Cat 4-5, very few buildings are strong enough to take that type beating. Many of them have evacuated to shelters up here in Central Florida.

Apart from a TFR, I should be able to get the drone up for a roof inspection by Tuesday evening, however, I may not wait for the winds to die down and just walk up on to the roof myself and inspect it that way.

I live in SW FL> fort myers it's already getting really windy here hope i make it.. here all by myself only the Mavic to keep me company....:(

Don't give in to all the media hype. Some areas will be devastated, but others will fare ok. I tuned into some national news channels to see they are basically writing all of Florida off like the entire state will be gone. One thing is since 2006, building codes require all homes to be able to withstand a Cat 3 storm with minimal damage. Our home is one of those. It will only be a Cat 4-5 when it makes landfall then dies down to a Cat 2-3 very quickly.

I am in Central Florida, so we are looking at Cat 2-3 here. Most our infrastructure is upgraded to hurricane strength after the 3 major hurricanes hit us back to back in 2004. Now, the Keys and looking like Ft Myers will be devastated as they are taking a direct hit of Cat 4-5, very few buildings are strong enough to take that type beating. Many of them have evacuated to shelters up here in Central Florida.

Apart from a TFR, I should be able to get the drone up for a roof inspection by Tuesday evening, however, I may not wait for the winds to die down and just walk up on to the roof myself and inspect it that way.

Not hype this time. This thing is a monster. It’s great that your house will still be standing but it’s not gonna be worth a whole lot given it’s flooded and no power. I hope you’re right though.

I live in SW FL> fort myers it's already getting really windy here hope i make it.. here all by myself only the Mavic to keep me company....:(

Fort Myers looks to get hit the hardest on the mainland . Be careful.

Not hype this time. This thing is a monster. It’s great that your house will still be standing but it’s not gonna be worth a whole lot given it’s flooded and no power. I hope you’re right though.
I tuned into the national media, yes, what they are telling the world about this storm is hype. Locally, the news is more realistic, as we are used to this and have done it plenty of times before.

This storm is not a huge rain producer, will produce a quarter of the rain that Harvey did. We actually get storms bigger than this rainfall wise all the time, so flooding won't be too bad. As with most homes in Central Florida, it would take 4x the amount of rain this storm is putting out to be an issue.

As for power, yeah, power will most likely be out for 4-5 days for most, some for up to 2 weeks, but again, we live in Florida, this is not new. Most of us have generators, those that don't have plans in place to get around this. The power crews are amazing and get most populated areas back up within days, sometimes hours of the storm dying down.

I do worry for Ft Myers, looks like that is where it will make landfall, but luckily it has died down a little bit.

Stay safe. I worry for you guys down there. You are taking a direct hit. I am watching some live cams and I see wind already kicking up pretty good down there. We have had some light wind all the way up here in North Orlando.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Like a bullet/projectile, you are responsible for YOUR drone.
Well duh lol. I think you think I said fly during the storm, that would be stupid lol. Talking about once the storm is gone and past and there are no winds and we are back to a normal day here in Florida.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet