Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying drone in Finland in 2022

Altarus

Reactions
Hi!

Backstory :
French, so used to the weird French regulations for drones
With C-19, I barely fly my Mavic 2 due to living near Paris (a no, don't even think about it, fly zone) and that I didn't travel during the last 2 years.

Back to present :
Will travel to Finland (North, Oulu / Kemi region for the 🇫🇮 here! :D) in one week
I tried to understand the new European law, pass the new A1/A3 formation / online exam, apply on the mavic both my pilote ID/UAS exploitant ID and the ID of the drone.
Also renew my insurance (better safe than sorry)

and now, I try to find more information of drone regulations in finland but it's not as easy as I was thinking. no reference map like the geoportail for drone that we have in France (or I didn't found it)
and Droneinfo.fi is both clear and "blurry" in some instances
For exemple, I don't really know what category to look at here : UAS geographical zones | Droneinfo

Also, not sure if I need to passe an other examination, if I need to declare myself to the authority, or if I need to notify airtrafic around me when taking off.

If someone from finland can help me understanding this mess that the new EU regulations created, I would be really happy ^^

I can't wait to fly in the north!

Kiitos!

(PS : I know that I can't fly near military zone, Russian border, electric plant, and that special rules apply for airport, but that are pretty easy, it's the reste that I'm not sure)

Hello Altarus,

The rules in EU are the same, basically. Mavic 2 is a "legacy drone". In the transition period 2022-2032, you can fly it according to A3 rules (in the middle of nowhere, but there is lots of that in Finland :) if you have made the online exam for A1/A3. If you have the A2 exam (not online), you can fly it also at 50 m (or more) from people during the transition period. After the transition period, it is the A3 only.

The Finnish drone map (I hope the link works):

In Oulu, the max-50-m zone seems to be quite large (be careful).

Regards
Yrjö

All EASA drone operator registrations and A1/A3 (or A2 if you have that) "pilot licenses" are valid in Finland.
And you should basically already have one, unless France has exemptions like possibly for those belonging to organized RPAS hobby group.

As for what those different UAS zones in Aviamaps mean, A zone is no flying at all without permission from ATS.
Inside B (and outside A) you can fly inside 50 meter horizontal distance from obstacles without permission from ATS.
In C area you can fly under 50m AGL without permission from ATS.
And D area (Kemi) allows flying up to normal 120m AGL limit, making that rather moot information.

But primary limitation is Mavic 2 being A3 category drone (unless you have A2 "license") meaning flying is basically allowed only in sparsely populated areas.
(150m distance from residential/commercial/industrial areas)

As you're not going to near eastern border and ADIZ you don't have to make official flight plans:
FlightPlan 2201#.JPG

Thanks all for the answers!
I also got a very fast respond from traficom (less than 10h after my mail, never seen that in France, I was shocked!)

With that, I got all the information, thx very much!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000