DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from back garden and now have Drone Police on my back

Sorry looking for some help here.

I took off from my back garden earlier tonight, and flew up straight to 400ft and flew directly to a graveyard, it’s a new housing scheme on the edge of town so not built up. As I was heading towards the graveyard I flew over the corner of someone’s house (more than 50m away from my house), while still maintaining 400ft, and they are now creating mayhem on the private housing scheme facebook page, stating I hovered above their house which is a blatant lie !

I even sent them my flight path which shows I didn’t hover, and I only covered a corner of their house, then they sent me the 150m rules etc but I feel like I haven‘t done anything wrong flying at that height, and at the moment shaking and raging.

I am flying a Mavic 3 Classic and a member of the UK FPV Club, and also have my A2CofC, and could mention flying under Article 16

Can anyone please help with this as I’m trying to find a document which helps my case, this was my first flight with the new drone to test.

Presumably being a member of FPV covers me, as per below

You know you are in DEEP trouble if you start getting complaints from the occupants of your target. All hell with break out. Heaven help you

I often fly out of my backyard, straight up to 400’, and then avoid flying over any potential “Karens” property by transiting via streets and other common areas to desired points. It appears you could have easily done the same vs providing her an excuse to complain. Just a thought.

Of a drone?
It's a clip of an RC helicopter scene in a movie starring Richard Pryor and Randy Quaid. With that information, you can find it on youtube. It's short and entertaining. On other sites that I haunt, it would be acceptable but I didn't want to just post here without asking first and I'm glad I did. I've been around for a few years now and have never received a time-out and don't want to break that streak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beet
@leebroath ,thanks for your honesty ,and transparency in regards to what happened,,and perhaps it shows ,just how much hysteria ,and misinformation ,that is mostly the product of bad media coverage ,there still is in the publics perception of drones
i dont think for one minute that when you took off to do your flight ,that you had any reason to think that the person concerned was going to be outside observing you
in this world we live in, using social media to influence others ,is the in thing ,and its clear that from what you said in your OP, that the person concerned ,is not a very nice neighbour ,and just wants to stir up trouble for you with others living there
You're probably correct. These social site users also want to get as many hits on their page as possible. Especially if their site is being renumerated for advertising and hit numbers.

These social influencers need as much attention they can get. Thus, they try creating outrage and anger amongst their viewership. The more attention they receive the more profit they may rake in.

I'm not sure how much extra money these people make, but for them, that little bit of extra money is worth creating a stink in the social media realms.

Reactions: old man mavic
Don’t want to prolong this Post, it is a pain when people object to our hobby especially when we fully adhere to the Law and Rules. That said, and although I live in a more central location in our City, I would never consider taking off from my garden. Just worried the noise would annoy my neighbours even if they didn’t think I was spying!

Reactions: leebroath

I took off from my back garden earlier tonight, and flew up straight to 400ft and flew directly to a graveyard, it’s a new housing scheme on the edge of town so not built up. As I was heading towards the graveyard I flew over the corner of someone’s house (more than 50m away from my house), while still maintaining 400ft, and they are now creating mayhem on the private housing scheme facebook page, stating I hovered above their house which is a blatant lie !

I even sent them my flight path which shows I didn’t hover, and I only covered a corner of their house, then they sent me the 150m rules etc but I feel like I haven‘t done anything wrong flying at that height, and at the moment shaking and raging.

I am flying a Mavic 3 Classic and a member of the UK FPV Club, and also have my A2CofC, and could mention flying under Article 16

Can anyone please help with this as I’m trying to find a document which helps my case, this was my first flight with the new drone to test.

If it was me, I think the 'choose your battles' rule applies here. From your responses to comments below, it already appears that she's a troublemaker. Whether or not it's a drone or some other imagined sleight, she's bad news and from experience, you'll probably not win this one anyway. I'd guess the others on the FB page have already made that judgement. If you get into it with her, all that'll come of it is that the spat will be a great source of entertainment for the other people in your housing estate. Drone guy vs crack pot. My neighbors are on board with me launching from my yard, but I minimize the time I do that.
If it was me, I'd find a place nearby to fly and not poke the bear. Could you launch from the graveyard next time?

Reactions: leebroath
Until there is a legitimate charge, which I don’t see here, I wouldn’t give “her” the time of day. You’re feeding into something that is really NOT their concern and until you’re served with a legitimate charge by the “drone police”?…stay calm and carry on droning.

Do not let these people consume your mind, that’s what they want. It sounds to me like the accuser’s reputation in the community precedes itself. Again, don’t give up any information unless requested by legitimate authority.

🇨🇦👍

now a sensible answer, look at this youtube file from the Blackbeltbarrister
I hope this clarifies, your neighbour does not own the airspace above her property, it is controlled by the CAA.

You have the Entire sky why would you fly over Enemy Territory and How could they possibly know you were in the sky 400 Ft up.

Just sound like you wanted to Poke the Dragon just a bit , and you found out the Heat is Hot.

Here is the Thing, even if you do have all the laws in your favor you still loose on the big picture , nothing is going to stop them from sounding the Alarm bell or calling the Police , or lying about you peeping in the windows if they want.

Laws will never silence those that need to chew the Lamb.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Stay Clear of Enemy forces.
Who actually can hear a Drone that is 400 feet
You have the Entire sky why would you fly over Enemy Territory and How could they possibly know you were in the sky 400 Ft up.

Just sound like you wanted to Poke the Dragon just a bit , and you found out the Heat is Hot.

Here is the Thing, even if you do have all the laws in your favor you still loose on the big picture , nothing is going to stop them from sounding the Alarm bell or calling the Police , or lying about you peeping in the windows if they want.

Laws will never silence those that need to chew the Lamb.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Stay Clear of Enemy forces.
That is my question, how could they hear you from 400 feet (1200) meters up? I’ve got the original Mavic and I can’t hear it past 100 feet up!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
now a sensible answer, look at this youtube file from the Blackbeltbarrister
I hope this clarifies, your neighbour does not own the airspace above her property, it is controlled by the CAA.

Ok, that's trespass type scenario view.
But can you even get to that stage if the UK CAA rule is to keep away from property (even a single dwelling !) by the 150m rule ?
That's like 492', and it's a lateral distance, a 492' radius circle forming an infinity no fly 'cylinder' to all airspace above.

I'm still not 100% sure if ALL categories of drone license there have the same rule coverage, certainly some license categories allow flights closer to people that the 30m rule in that situation.

But it looks like the rules for property or people rules / distances in pretty clear in my CAA link in post #6.

It’s not worth a fight. Avoid that woman’s house like she has the plague. You could get a extremely loud motorcycle, my 1965 Greeves Hawkstone would have been ideal, and offered to make a deal with her. Tell your going to fire it up night and day unless she listens to reason. But alas, we know it wouldn’t work.

That is my question, how could they hear you from 400 feet (1200) meters up? I’ve got the original Mavic and I can’t hear it past 100 feet up!
That could be true in the city, but I live in the desert and I can easily hear my drone at 400 feet a long ways away. In sport mode it’s really loud. You really have to be honest with yourself about noise.

That could be true in the city, but I live in the desert and I can easily hear my drone at 400 feet a long ways away. In sport mode it’s really loud. You really have to be honest with yourself about noise.
🎯 same here I live out in the country...and in sport mode I can still hear it ripping the air as it zips by overhead @ 400ft

Reactions: Beet and hiflyer201
Hope my experience might be helpful. I purchased my Mini 2 in April 2021, didn't need to get a license here in Canada for a sub 250gram but decided it might be a good idea. I did a number of flights around our neighbourhood, taking off from our backyard and then decided to post some of the better pictures on our local village Facebook page. I carefully inspected them first for anything a property owner might be concerned about and all were taken at about 200-300ft. The reception of the pictures was amazing. The likes ramped up very quickly and wonderful comments especially from folks who could see their property from above. I remember only one comment that suggested I was pushing it a bit flying at that height but was supported by another resident who took the time to research the legal max height for a drone. Shortly after these initial posts I was asked by two of our local churches if I would take aerial pictures for them. Another gentleman wanted a picture of his house. Another lady wondered if she could hire me to take an aerial view of their country property so she could give a photo to her husband as a Christmas gift. She cleared her family from the property one day last summer and gave me several hours to do the job. I thoroughly enjoyed it and no way would consider taking money. Just the other day I received a request from a resident in a newly constructed area of our community asking me if I could take pictures of their area.
All this to say maybe you should consider ignoring this person and post some of your pictures to the Facebook page. People can view and judge for themselves what you're seeing from up there and I suspect most will love to see your pictures. Just be sure to inspect them carefully before posting and don't post any that contain something visible that you wouldn't want other folks seeing yourself.
Best of luck.
Mike

Reactions: AMann and mike foy
Just wanted to chip in as I'm a BMFA member and try to be super careful about safety and the law etc. Post number 6 by @MAvic_South_Oz says it all.

You flew a >250g drone < 150m from a residential area so you are in the wrong.

IMO, your best option is to apologise profusely, perhaps hand over a bottle of wine and say in future you'll take off from the park. Then keep your fingers crossed as she does have a valid case alas (and even if she didn't, it's important to maintain good relations with our neighbours).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78