DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from back garden and now have Drone Police on my back

Sorry that is not quite correct - I think you have confused the Article 16 wording. It is for recreational flights only and not in built-up areas. There is an exception for recreational areas within a built-up area eg a large enough park, with a risk assessment. That does not allow you to fly over a housing estate! As it happens I did discuss with the Chief Exec of FPV UK flying within the confines of a back garden staying more than 30m from the neighbouring houses (or 15m with a risk assessment).

I'm afraid you were also wrong about A2CofC. In A2 transitional under 2kg you can fly in built-up/residential areas with 50m separation from uninvolved people. This doesn't help the OP in this situation but is correct.
Yep, thanks, the 150m was copied from the blurb about the ...residential, commercial etc... bit and I neglected to change it to 50m as per A2 regs. Of course, separation from uninvolved people (ignoring where they are for a moment) is 50m whether you have the A2 CofC or not.

The information regarding flying in built-up areas, at least on the FPVUK poster, is quite misleading then. It doesn't truly emphasise the part that it's an area close to an area (i.e. a model flying park close to residential). I know there's only so much they can do with short bulletpoints but they're not helping themselves with the poster I've seen.

I'll edit my original post to get rid of the 150m aspect. First time I've been caught out on that since January 2021 so not bad.

Reactions: leebroath
Sometimes one has to decide which fights are worth fighting. Although you may indeed be flying legally, you still have to decide if it's worth putting up with an angry neighbor who doesn't know or care to know what the rules of flight are.
Maybe it's time to start fighting back. If we don't, the drone hating; ignorant of the rules, will get us all banned from flying!

Maybe it's time to start fighting back. If we don't, the drone hating; ignorant of the rules, will get us all banned from flying!
The one thing that I’ve found to keep me and others from getting into trouble is to never let them see you take off! There are a lot of ****, nosy busybodies with no life, no joy and no fun but seem to deprive anyone else from enjoying themselves! Take it straight up where they can’t hear it then fly! Works for me!

Reactions: dart106
The one thing that I’ve found to keep me and others from getting into trouble is to never let them see you take off! There are a lot of ****, nosy busybodies with no life, no joy and no fun but seem to deprive anyone else from enjoying themselves! Take it straight up where they can’t hear it then fly! Works for me!
I find that to be an effective technique also. At about 200’, my Mini 2 is hard to hear for me. So, the average person (or Karen) wandering about won’t hear it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
I fly from my backyard and honestly if I fly directly south I wouldn’t fly over a soul all the way across the San Gabriel mountains to to Los Angeles basin. I take off, hover quietly, set exposure, and depart. It all seems fairly silent enough. But.. If you go out aways to where you hear nothing and climb up to max altitude and then fly directly overhead in sport mode you will learn exactly how darn loud that drone is. It’s loud! That’s what your neighbors hear the whole time you’re flying in your back yard.
I try to fly home as quietly in slo mode and get on the ground as quickly as possible. I’ve never had a complaint. Probably because I have nice neighbors. I know my drone is annoying to anyone except me.

Remote ID will allow them to know from where you took off, your entire flight and your exact current location.

Hi , I personally would fly from a different location keeping my identity private , I fly anywhere keeping to the general rule of thumb and away from close proximity to anyone so not to make any issues , I move to where no one knows me problem solved
O not good I fly over my estate now for almost 20 years. I only fly under 250g drones and helicopters like the rules permit. I have article 16 and the a2 cofc and I can't fly my air 2 over my estate because it's to heavy. It is 570g and with the a2 cofc I still can't fly over the estate. Unfortunately article 16 is useless here to become is only for recreational areas. You mavic 3 is bigger than the air 2 so your in the same position as me. Sorry it not better news. I can help with article 16 and the a2 cofc.👍

Lol I'm a mentor and examiner for fpv UK my name is on the website if you want to check.👍

Sorry that is not quite correct - I think you have confused the Article 16 wording. It is for recreational flights only and not in built-up areas. There is an exception for recreational areas within a built-up area eg a large enough park, with a risk assessment. That does not allow you to fly over a housing estate! As it happens I did discuss with the Chief Exec of FPV UK flying within the confines of a back garden staying more than 30m from the neighbouring houses (or 15m with a risk assessment).

I'm afraid you were also wrong about A2CofC. In A2 transitional under 2kg you can fly in built-up/residential areas with 50m separation from uninvolved people. This doesn't help the OP in this situation but is correct.
No you can fly in a park in a built up area with a risk assessment but you can't leave the boundaries of the park. 👍

I wonder if I’m the only one that is not at all concerned about remote ID, I always fly within the CAA rules , I don’t anticipate being attacked while flying my drone, I live in the U.K. what’s to worry about. If you only fly where the CAA or FAA or other countries regulations says you can, I cannot see any problems. The biggest problem I can see is living in a country where the citizens of that country are frightened of fellow citizens of their country, these things like remote ID have been designed to make flying safer for fellow flyers, manned and unmanned not to protect people from the more unsavoury elements of our society. I mean no offence to anyone reading this post but I cannot imagine being physically assaulted just for flying a drone. Cheers Len

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne