DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in a park

Joe Boudreault

Reactions
How many of you have had incidents of being warned about flying a drone in a park? I was recently given a stern written warning for flying my drone over a small park. Signs were almost invisible at park entrance, they were so small. The strange thing is, the ranger said it disturbed the "spirits" of the place, as the man who reported me was a first nations spotter. He said to respect the place and its "spirits". I had to silently laugh at that reason. The motorcycles, noisy kids, dogs running the trails, and partying in the park were far more disturbing than any little drone in the sky. The only "spirit" there was the spirit of money made by the park. I can't understand this hypocrisy of park officials against harmless drone photography, especially when most people did not even notice it or didn't care. Fines can be huge and it seems to be a trend now for fining people for the most innocuous things - money grab, I say, and people control. Anyone else have such incidents?

Reactions: WAXMAN and Wyojet
I guess I've been fortunate, have never been complained to. I have had folks come up to m that thought it was cool and asked questions about it.
As for the spirits, I've seen on TV where ghost hunters use full spectrum cameras to try to photograph spirits. I have a M2P that has been converted to full spectrum, I like infrared photography. So far, I've never captured anything and I've flown a good bit around cemeteries and old abandoned buildings.

Reactions: Mrmund
From what I understood with OP was that he didn't see the restriction on the signage because it was small. It probably was pointed out to him after he was confronted where he went back and checked.
Sort of like missing a speed limit sign that specifies a different speed than before that sign, and going back to check after being stopped for speeding.

I usually research whether or not I can fly at local parks by calling the city, county or who ever is in charge. One place I fly my racing drones is also used by fixed wing RC fliers as well as drone racing groups. Non fliers using that park might not like stuff flying around but nobody complains about it because they know it's OK to fly there. Even though you're allowed to fly there doesn't mean you can fly as you wish...many times there are specific rules you have to follow which are not posted.

I guess I've been fortunate, have never been complained to. I have had folks come up to m that thought it was cool and asked questions about it.
As for the spirits, I've seen on TV where ghost hunters use full spectrum cameras to try to photograph spirits. I have a M2P that has been converted to full spectrum, I like infrared photography. So far, I've never captured anything and I've flown a good bit around cemeteries and old abandoned buildings.

Some day you should go to Rawlins, Wyo. The old territorial prison, as you might find more than you'd like. They used a gas chamber still standing today as with most of the prison. There's been many murderers in the 1800s to early 1900s, some not known for many reasons.

Reactions: FatherXmas
You are lucky and the lack of respect you yourself show is sad. All others can and are usually dealt with by the tribal Police. You however walked away with your Drone and without losing your shirt or your Drone. You need to understand that this tech is still new and not lots of non flyers know about it. Bottom line, because you said First Nations I will assume you’re in or were in Canada. In the States they may have just taken your Drone fined and arrested you for what happened. What happens on Tribal Land is solely the Tribal Rights and Privileges.
Bottom line be thankful you both have your Mavic and that you are looking into and not from behind a cell door. Sorry.

I learned to fly at a small local park and did so only when a few people were present. I did have a fly-away once and was happy no one was around. Parks are public places and uavs can be fickle.

Once told by a water bailiff I could not (under threat of confiscation) put my kayak into a river as it was an offence to upset the fish, voles etc. but not for the people with inflatable dingys, horses, and people generally larking about and having fun in the sun. It's Napoleon syndrome, or power mad losers!!
How many of you have had incidents of being warned about flying a drone in a park? I was recently given a stern written warning for flying my drone over a small park. Signs were almost invisible at park entrance, they were so small. The strange thing is, the ranger said it disturbed the "spirits" of the place, as the man who reported me was a first nations spotter. He said to respect the place and its "spirits". I had to silently laugh at that reason. The motorcycles, noisy kids, dogs running the trails, and partying in the park were far more disturbing than any little drone in the sky. The only "spirit" there was the spirit of money made by the park. I can't understand this hypocrisy of park officials against harmless drone photography, especially when most people did not even notice it or didn't care. Fines can be huge and it seems to be a trend now for fining people for the most innocuous things - money grab, I say, and people control. Anyone else have such incidents?

I check with the air map and drive long distances to fly my drone. I house sits in a NFZ and I can not even start my drone up in my house. So far I have not had any problems.

I check with the air map and drive long distances to fly my drone. I house sits in a NFZ and I can not even start my drone up in my house. So far I have not had any problems.

So, you are saying that you cannot start the motors on the drone inside your own house on your own property and that you must drive long distances in order to simply fly the thing? But, other than that, no problem? Detectorguy, you are an optimist! Cannot help but think of that saying: “other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?” ? My city is about to pass ordinance banning all drones in all city parks so I am miffed and sad at the moment! ☹ I will need to borrow some of your positive attitude.

He can't fly because his drone manages to pick up GPS in his house and detects his area is an NFZ by DJI's definition. It can't tell he's indoors where flight rules do not apply. He probably can self-unlock though. I could when my house was under blue zone for being under a runway approach path. Somehow that zone disappeared even though the runway and approach path has not.

If you need to fire up your drone at home and gps won’t allow you to start, you could place aluminum foil over the gps sensor area, and get something done. Of course, it will be in atti mode.

I’ve run into similar situations that seem unfair. I recently searched a website for Bill Baggs state park on Key Biscayne ( outside of Biscayne Bay NP) and saw no drone restrictions, drove 70 miles one way and was greeted with “ No Drone” signs. I had intended to video and photo the Cape Florida lighthouse. No dice.
The one that kind of bugs me is Blowing Rocks Preserve in Jupiter, Florida that has a rule on their website stating something to the effect of “due to privacy concerns, no drones or photo or videos shoots are allowed “. Yet, every person that goes there carries a camera for photos and videos of the waves hitting the rocks and blasting water into the air.

I do my research for a new place also. Park websites, calls, Air maps, B4Y fly, etc. Some places are a given NO (National Parks, most state parks). My nature is to abide and not cheat or push the boundary. If a park says no, that's it. I'm trying to keep my drone a good citizen.

In my other hobby, I take wildlife photos (mostly birds). Every now and then a story comes along about a photog who was such a stress on nesting parents, they've been known to abandon the chicks or eggs. As much as I enjoy my Mavic, I don't want it in wildlife refuges.

Now I'm at advantage that I live in a rural location and can fly out the backdoor over fields and woods with out flying over a single house or road. The disadvantage is flying over same empty pasture for the 50th time isn't nearly as thrilling as the first flight.

In my country most city parks let you fly. Not over people. With conservation department land you need consent. They have no fly areas around wildlife. Otherwise open to photography.

I do my research for a new place also. Park websites, calls, Air maps, B4Y fly, etc. Some places are a given NO (National Parks, most state parks). My nature is to abide and not cheat or push the boundary. If a park says no, that's it. I'm trying to keep my drone a good citizen.

In my other hobby, I take wildlife photos (mostly birds). Every now and then a story comes along about a photog who was such a stress on nesting parents, they've been known to abandon the chicks or eggs. As much as I enjoy my Mavic, I don't want it in wildlife refuges.

Now I'm at advantage that I live in a rural location and can fly out the backdoor over fields and woods with out flying over a single house or road. The disadvantage is flying over same empty pasture for the 50th time isn't nearly as thrilling as the first flight.
I completely agree about being the good citizen. I’d rather be disappointed today and find somewhere else to fly tomorrow than to be the jerk that makes us all look bad.
That being said I guess I’m doing something right, since most (if not all!) of my interactions with other people while flying have consisted of pleasant “Hellos!” A few quick, friendly comments about getting good video and pics and pleasant “Have a nice day!” ?

My experience too. If I’m around people I get away and try to launch and fly away from the crowd. Then only the curious come over. Put the goggles on them, maybe a precision landing. Maybe not a new convert but at least one less enemy.

I have a question about flying over people. I would start a new thread, but I can't figure out how to do it!! In the meantime, I will post here, hoping one of you all will help me with my question even though it is slightly off topic. One of the key FAA rules is not to fly over crowds of people. What exactly does that mean? It's clear to me that it is not allowed to fly over an open-air stadium full of people, or a school yard full of children. But what about flying over a street where there may be a couple of pedestrians per block? I live in a city where there are many neighborhoods with low density of people outdoors. There are certain hours in which there may be nobody outdoors, or just a few people (like for example one or two every hundred yards). Is it permitted to fly over those neighborhoods in order to reach the river or the lake that border the city?

Here’s how to start a thread:
In any topi on the forums page tap the forum where you want to post
E7339718-E9DD-4C70-B952-6E98683DC6FA.jpeg
On the index page of the form chosen tap the post thread link.
8565F46B-FDBD-44FC-B399-913E7FC7C200.jpeg
That brings up the page to title and enter text for your new topic. Tap or start typing in the title box.
6AA7B2D7-DD09-42FB-9190-253DFB885669.jpeg
Then you get the whole page for completing your post. Looks like this.

1892FFBB-6D43-466C-8A79-5EE4F3892905.png
When you’re done just tap to post it as a new topic in the previously chosen subject area.

Hope this helps in future. ;)

Reactions: WeeBotOne
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky