DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying inside the city

Nope, just pokin' fun at him. His examples/escapades do show us what NOT to do though.....

Yeah, funny thing is that I used to be militant about drone laws, but since watching him and becoming a fan I've considerably loosened my beliefs. i've come to feel that the laws don't apply evenly -- which is complete bs, I know, but when I see people that I admire do amazing things with drones in the service of a great story I'm ok with it. Most of what I see on these boards is all about just drone pictures/videos. Nobody is telling a story. We can all learn from the likes of Casey, Pete McKinnon, Mr. Ben Brown, SV Delos, etc. This the technology put to best use. Putting your drone in the air and taking videos of flying in circles won't entertain anyone but you.

Plus Casey has the right idea about gear. He'll risk any of it to get a good story. It's just stuff. His camera graveyard is the byproduct of 10 years of excellence. We all benefit.

Reactions: Ramphex
Buildings tend to make drones go crazy from time to time. The one and only time I crashed my phantom was into a building.

The height of the buildings can create wind vortices and create conditions mimicing catabatic winds. Even on a calm day. Especially true in warmer conditions.

I would say this... if you drop a penny off 400 ft building, it will sink into the concrete about 6 inches. So imagine if a mp falls out of the sky!
LOL - that's an old old myth. Look up terminal velocity - the penny will only go so fast so kinetic energy is limited.

If you can find a tall building with rooftop access, that'd be a good way to go. Get up above everything...

Yeah, funny thing is that I used to be militant about drone laws, but since watching him and becoming a fan I've considerably loosened my beliefs. i've come to feel that the laws don't apply evenly -- which is complete bs, I know, but when I see people that I admire do amazing things with drones in the service of a great story I'm ok with it. Most of what I see on these boards is all about just drone pictures/videos. Nobody is telling a story. We can all learn from the likes of Casey, Pete McKinnon, Mr. Ben Brown, SV Delos, etc. This the technology put to best use. Putting your drone in the air and taking videos of flying in circles won't entertain anyone but you.

Plus Casey has the right idea about gear. He'll risk any of it to get a good story. It's just stuff. His camera graveyard is the byproduct of 10 years of excellence. We all benefit.
Thumbswayup

If you can find a tall building with rooftop access, that'd be a good way to go. Get up above everything...
I favor parking garages. Most have public access and a nice flat surface. Some are quite tall.
Only problem is all the rebar buried in concrete - a few times I got nervous from compass errors and chickened out.

Most Cities have stadiums and stadiums are No Fly Zones and the No Fly Zone extends beyond the stadium for quite a ways.

And then there are Heliports and the Airport is generally within 5 miles of the city.

If you crash the drone it could be bad for you. People have been thrown in jail for crashing drones into people or property.

Most Cities have stadiums and stadiums are No Fly Zones and the No Fly Zone extends beyond the stadium for quite a ways.

And then there are Heliports and the Airport is generally within 5 miles of the city.

If you crash the drone it could be bad for you. People have been thrown in jail for crashing drones into people or property.
The ONLY one I'm aware of was back in Feb 2017 where a *commercial* 107 operator crashed a drone into building and it fell into the crowd injuring 2 people (one had a minor bruise). He was actually acting lawfully since he had permits and such. The judge felt jail time was necessary - because.

Last edited:
That was the case I remember. All they would have to do is bring up that case along with the fact that you hurt someone. Then when the FAA learns you crashed in a no fly zone, big fine.

...If you crash the drone it could be bad for you. People have been thrown in jail for crashing drones into people or property.

True. Guy crashed phantom into building in downtown Seattle which hit two people causing minor injury to one. Earlier this year he was convicted of reckless endangerment and sentenced to 1 year in jail and $5k fine (11 months of sentence and $4500 of fine were suspended).

True. Guy crashed phantom into building in downtown Seattle which hit two people causing minor injury to one. Earlier this year he was convicted of reckless endangerment and sentenced to 1 year in jail and $5k fine (11 months of sentence and $4500 of fine were suspended).
He got 30 days and a $500 fine.
It's not that hard to look up.

That's still the hassle you could go through. And it still cost the guy money.

That's still the hassle you could go through. And it still cost the guy money.
Not arguing that - merely the inflated statistics. One guy out of how many drone operators?
It is of note that he turned himself in voluntarily.

I agree that I haven't seen any statistic that suggests it's a huge problem. But a one time occurrence in these times when even our president repeats fake news, the Govt could make it harder and harder to fly your drone.

Not arguing that - merely the inflated statistics. One guy out of how many drone operators?
It is of note that he turned himself in voluntarily.

Actually, he fled the scene after he was unable to get his drone back. His lawyer called police later and admitted his client was owner but not the operator. Defendant did not testify at trial and his attorney argued prosecutor could not prove it was him at controls when accident occurred. The crash and the defendant's scuffle when he tried to get drone back were caught on camera. It's not that hard to look up.

He got 30 days and a $500 fine.
It's not that hard to look up.

Like I said before, the sentence is actually one year in county jail and $5,000 fine. He only has to spend 30 days in jail and pay $500 now. But, if he is caught doing anything else illegal over the next 2 years, he will be sent back for the full year and fined the full $5,000. I think it would be a devastating hit for average person.

Reactions: dewster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure