DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying M2P in New York

harrinho

Reactions
Hi folks,

I know most of NYC is considered a NFZ but having checked the maps FAA recommends, I see a gap in Lower Manhattan. Not included in the restricted grid. Does anyone have concrete knowledge of the regulations and if for example I can fly nearby Battersea park or Lower East?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 12.33.37.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 12.33.37.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
NYC has declared drones illegal and encourages reporting their use via 911. There may be some parks where they are still permitted but lower Manhattan is out.

LAANC maps will not show you where you can legally use your aircraft. LAANC is for determining where you might receive authorization to fly in controlled airspace at a specific maximum altitude. Local jurisdictions can legally regulate take-off and landing sites.

Visiting NYC soon, and I've registered with FAA under hobbyist regime plus I've checked Airmap - it seems that there are areas in Manhattan where operating a drone under 122 feet is legal.

As long as I observe all other rules set out by FAA for hobbyists, then I don't see why I should be worried about anything else.

Am I wrong?

I looked into the Casey guys FAA investigations and pretty much they won’t go after him even though it’s obvious he flown multiple times breaking multiple rules. Short of having a first hand witness wanting to prosecute you they don’t pursue things on YouTube videos alone

Still illegal though for the most part except for like one or two parks where it’s allowed

According to the NYC web site, it is illegal to fly there. There may be some parks where it is still permitted but you need to verify that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan