DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying M2P in warehouse?

OurAngryBadger

Reactions
How well will it fly in a place like this?

GettyImages-1125121546_0.jpg

I've had a friend lose control of an Inspire1 indoors, and I've lost control of my Spark in my living room. Haven't personally flown indoors since.

I heard the M2P does much better indoors with the vision sensors keeping it fairly stable even without GPS.

But I'm wondering how all the metal in a warehouse lile this would affect the compass/IMU.

I have a client that wants top down video views of their storage racks and manufacturing facilities. Have about 10 ft of clearance between the top of the racks and steel ceiling. Floor is concrete with rebar...

You are going to be flying inside a 'Faraday Cage' pretty much. That will block off GPS sats and the M2P won't have any way to do a GPS lock to keep stable. So that's in addition to the magnetic anomalies the building will produce ...
There will be others who have done this and can provide advice for indoor flying, but if you go ahead with flying in this building - I'd get a set of prop-guards so that WHEN you bump into things, you are going to minimise damage to your drone, and to any items in the warehouse. Make sure you are also aware of how to use the controller sticks to do an emergency shut-down of the drone if it does get out of hand ...

Ive flown in a warehouse like this with a Mavic 1 high up taking pictures. No GPS so stay away from objects as the wind disturbance will push the quad a little. Used Tripod mode and also set failsafe to just land.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
Personally, I would do this ATTI Mode Hack. It will put in you ATTI Mode, turning off GPS.

You're only really 'out of control' when you're in GPS mode, but the aircraft is getting imperfect signals, which sometimes can it to fly erratically.

Do the hack, learn how to fly by stick in ATTI / with no GPS (indoors where there is no strong winds, or outdoors where there are only small breezes). Then there will be no 'out of control'.

Also: be in tripod mode so that you have all obstacle avoidance sensors activated and controls will be slower, and therefore more easily controllable. This will also make your videos more stable.

Chris

Please let us know how this turns out.

Reactions: Gindra
How well will it fly in a place like this?

View attachment 96425

I've had a friend lose control of an Inspire1 indoors, and I've lost control of my Spark in my living room. Haven't personally flown indoors since.

I heard the M2P does much better indoors with the vision sensors keeping it fairly stable even without GPS.

But I'm wondering how all the metal in a warehouse lile this would affect the compass/IMU.

I have a client that wants top down video views of their storage racks and manufacturing facilities. Have about 10 ft of clearance between the top of the racks and steel ceiling. Floor is concrete with rebar...
I found the last post in this thread interesting. A way to setup indoor GPS. I haven't inquired about it myself as I just use ATTI mode for inside.
Indoor piloting

Please let us know how this turns out.

Will do. It will come down to if the facility hires me for drone work or not. I've already done interior tripod photos of their space and they are looking for outdoor photos when the grass is greener. I'm trying to push them to book drone photos and video. That's when they asked if I could get footage from inside and up above. Told them I'd try but can make no promises.

I have had similar issues testing navigation systems for regular aircraft when inside hangers. The GPS antennas need a fairly clear view of the sky to get an adequate signal for 3D and WAAS. Out of frustration I found a $65 device that you place its antenna outside the facility and run is roughly 20m cable inside to the main unit. The main unit has its own power supply and antenna that re-transmits the GPS signal inside the hanger. I did find that for aircraft at least, the unit needs to be placed higher up, as the aircraft structure blocks the signal to the cabin top mountings on most aircraft.

I have tried it, just to test, and it indeed does give the drone a usable signal indoors. I have not tried flying it around the hanger, since I am based at a controlled airfield and that would be against the rules without the prior approval being applied for. The units are available on eBay, just search for GPS signal repeater transmitter.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser