DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near Municipal Airport

Rachelise

Reactions
HI! I'm looking for information, opinions and thoughts on this topic. I intend to fly my mini mavic 3.5 miles out from the airport tower, and my purpose (agricultural) does not require flying high. I'm not flying above 150 feet. I'm wondering if its better to communicate upfront or just go about business as usual. Here is what the Airport website says:

"Drone Regulations: If you are going to fly a drone within five miles of the airport, you need to call the [ -- ] Air Traffic Control Tower and let them know when and where this will take place. The tower phone number is..."

HI! I'm looking for information, opinions and thoughts on this topic. I intend to fly my mini mavic 3.5 miles out from the airport tower, and my purpose (agricultural) does not require flying high. I'm not flying above 150 feet. I'm wondering if its better to communicate upfront or just go about business as usual. Here is what the Airport website says:

"Drone Regulations: If you are going to fly a drone within five miles of the airport, you need to call the [ -- ] Air Traffic Control Tower and let them know when and where this will take place. The tower phone number is..."

That advice is out of date, incorrect, and never applied to Part 107 operations anyway - which you are doing so I'll assume that you are Part 107 licensed. All that matters in determining whether you can fly is the class of airspace.

Do you know the class of the airspace around the airport? They are not all the same and can vary wildly.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'class of airspace'. Then again... maybe I do... Is a designated landing zone a class of airspace? Please... please say no.

Do you know the class of the airspace around the airport? They are not all the same and can vary wildly.
Sorry I did that wrong. I'm not sure of that just yet. However i understand that the place I intend to fly is a designated Landing Zone. Does that sound familiar to you? I could be wrong on that information. That's something my dad said in passing. If he was talking about the airport or his ranch I don't know.

Last edited:
Sorry I did that wrong. I'm not sure of that just yet. However i understand that the place I intend to fly is a designated Landing Zone. Does that sound familiar to you? I could be wrong on that information. That's something my dad said in passing. If he was talking about the airport or his ranch I don't know.
Ok I got it. Class C.

That advice is out of date, incorrect, and never applied to Part 107 operations anyway - which you are doing so I'll assume that you are Part 107 licensed. All that matters in determining whether you can fly is the class of airspace.
It's Class C.
Go easy on me I'm new, I'm not flying yet.

Reactions: Zeke
What SAR104 said. You need to study up on LAANC. I have never used it but I understand it is the way to get authorization to fly in that airspace. Maybe others with experience can chime in.

By the way, most of the folks here are nice and treat even newbies with respect. Don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Reactions: Zeke
Surface Class C requires FAA authorization.
Ok. That is good to know. This forum is really helpful. I think it's important to do the right thing legally, even if I don't feel it's ever going to be an issue.
Plus, I rather make friends than enemies- and hopefully help the more serious drone pilots look good.

What SAR104 said. You need to study up on LAANC. I have never used it but I understand it is the way to get authorization to fly in that airspace. Maybe others with experience can chime in.
That's definitely what I'm thinking too.

In the beginning I posted this in the wrong place. So they moved to the right place for me. Also, I'm a bit wordy in my replies. I'm coming along though, this is great fun.
OK, I get it. And let me assure you that you are the opposite of wordy. There are many folks here that will generate book length posts.

OK, I get it. And let me assure you that you are the opposite of wordy. There are many folks here that will generate book length posts.
Oh I bet there is :) I've been looking into this airport clearance.. Holy cow! I've got to register the drone and take a test if I want to fly the area I intended. It doesn't matter if it's a Mavic Mini either, or that it's all private property, so this ought to be interesting. I really hope it works out. It would be good to practice communicating anyway... I guess.

Oh I bet there is :) I've been looking into this airport clearance.. Holy cow! I've got to register the drone and take a test if I want to fly the area I intended. It doesn't matter if it's a Mavic Mini either, or that it's all private property, so this ought to be interesting. I really hope it works out. It would be good to practice communicating anyway... I guess.

The Mavic Mini weight class has to follow all the Federal Air Regulations except:

1.) Registration requirements, IF only flown recreationally. Agriculture is "furtherance from a business" so needs registration and be operated by a Part 107 certificated pilot.
2.) The proposed Remote Identification requirements, IF flown in a FRIA (proposed designated flying site).

The sub 250 gram weight class is not the panacea marketing campaigns tout it to be.

For more on these subjects I suggest the sUAS Rules & Regulations forum. Cheers!

Reactions: Rachelise
Further responses from Rachelise indicates non 107.

I would check out Kittyhawk (recommended by DJI) or the AirMap apps (there is one more but don’t remember the name). They are sanctioned by the FAA to provide LAANC authorizations. Not sure if you need to register with the FAA to use them? I also had not heard about the test requirement. I know that the FAA is developing a test but hadn’t heard that it was in place yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78