DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near waterfalls

vanbigwheel

Reactions
I've been flying for about 5 weeks now. I want to fly near a waterfall. I'm wondering what experience others have had. How close can I get, is the mist a factor, is the wind strong the closer I get etc.?

Reactions: FASTFJR
I've been flying for about 5 weeks now. I want to fly near a waterfall. I'm wondering what experience others have had. How close can I get, is the mist a factor, is the wind strong the closer I get etc.?
I've done it a couple of times, but it's unnerving. Besides downdrafts, mist, etc., you may lose your sense of motion relative to the rushing water. Try to use your peripheral vision of the stationary surroundings to keep your motion consistent.

Reactions: vanbigwheel
I flew this weekend it was 6° and I flew through the mist of the waterfall a couple minutes later I got a warning I think it was motor overload check your propellers and fly safely I brought it back and all the propellers had iced up.I got some real nice video I was 140 feet below where I launched7CE6EDAF-4BBC-44BF-9071-EA3EF709F9AF.jpeg29D970BC-D521-4030-94DE-21277990CF51.jpegD7F3D598-C184-4420-9C17-6FA69B01DBB4.jpeg

Very nice. Thanks for posting the photos. If using a DSLR, it would be interesting to use a neutral density filter so one could drag the shutter. I’ve not tried it with a drone though. In my book, you get points for even flying in 6 degree weather!???

Very nice. Thanks for posting the photos. If using a DSLR, it would be interesting to use a neutral density filter so one could drag the shutter. I’ve not tried it with a drone though. In my book, you get points for even flying in 6 degree weather!???
I always use ND filters on M2P. Check light before flight then attach appropriate filter. I only shoot manual exp. For stills I adjust shutter speed as necessary in flight.
I had issues in fog once. Coudnt acheive focus and unit flew poorly. Didn’t seem like heavy fog but it had disrupting effect.

Reactions: Dbez1
Flying waterfalls, especially big/tall ones can create a challenge sometimes. See my thread in the "Lost and Found" section of this forum called "Death of a Mavic 2 Pro". It may have some useable info posted there. Also visit my YouTube channel, Lee Peachey Productions" for some more insite to watery scenes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2