DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over a prison...

Pretty sure. There was a big story of drones dropping drugs for the prisoners a year or two ago or so. Not sure what Oak Park prison is labled as but I would imagine it's a no no also.

Pretty sure. There was a big story of drones dropping drugs for the prisoners a year or two ago or so. Not sure what Oak Park prison is labled as but I would imagine it's a no no also.
I don't think im gonna fly over prisons any more.....I dont wanna be on the inside looking out.

Yeah, even if it would be legal for that particular prison I just don't think it's a good idea.

Reactions: tlswift58
I am all about Risk an Reward but nothing good can come from a Prison fly over. Even if the drone just dropped from the sky into the Prison, your life would be forever changed. Its a No Go , No Reward , You do not pass Go !

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the storm , but stay away from Prisons , .lol

Ours here has a NFZ around it. It’s not big and can actually fly around it but not enter it. I tried just to see.

Yep, people over here also do prison drops with drones, but... Believe it or not they used to use trained pigeons to do the same thing not so long ago. And the best prison escape we had in recent memory was a hijacked helicopter landing in the yard, picked up their prison boyfriend, and were promptly arrested once the chopper landed elsewhere.

So, you can fairly easily certify on a drone up to 150Kg, with a lift capacity of say 70% ish means if your mate weighs 105Kg or less..... Ah, but then it's a UAV so they can shoot at it, might have to add 50Kg of armor, crap, better tell Barry to lose some weight then eh...

Typical of Drones, it's the accessorizing that costs :)

I live in Minnesota and I was flying around and over Oak Park Prison..... Is it illegal to fly over a prison with drone?
Uh yeah! What does Aloft / B4UFLY / other fly apps show? If you don't use one of those apps - highly recommend getting one and using it BEFORE you fly and not get in trouble.

There is a difference between "flying around" and "over" something. Depending on the "no fly zone" - you can still fly around those areas, but cannot fly "over" them.

I find this interesting, as there are prisons all over FL. But, I looked at SkyVector and ALOFT. Neither one showed no-fly zones over prisons. I did some research on the web and found what appears to be an authoritative site on this topic: Can You Fly a Drone Over a Prison? ANSWERED! | Hobby Henry
Scared me into never trying it!

It gets a bit stranger though. I can only find FAA regs on specific Federal prisons. They do not include this one. BUT, a look at the DJI GeoZone map clearly shows that area as a no-fly zone. (What kind of drone were you flying?) In fact, it appears DJI has virtually every jail and correctional facility in the country locked up. (pun intended) I would be interested if anyone can cite the FAA notice supporting this. I can't find it.

I live in Minnesota and I was flying around and over Oak Park Prison..... Is it illegal to fly over a prison with

The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) has prohibited the use of drones over prisons as they can be used to drop drugs, weapons, or any other contraband to inmates within the prison. This concern has become a reality in several situations where inmates have received external deliveries via drone

Source

Reactions: 4006448
I have no interest in doing so, but I find it curious there are numerous sites that claim you can't do this and DJI has those areas blanked out BUT,,,,I've yet to find anything supporting this from the FAA or in the statutes. Very unusual.....

When I worked at my unit we where told if we see one use the shot gun to bring it down. I asked him wouldn't that be illegal?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt