DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over mountain

So how can the FAA make this rule if by Congressional law they are not allowed to regulate hobby fliers of model aircraft?

Because by Congressional law they ARE allowed to regulate people operating outside of the parameters set by 336.

His argument is that 336 does not include the 400ft and that the FAA's regulatory authority is bound by 336, and he's right. What he's intentionally overlooking is that 336:

1. Demands adherence to "community guidelines" - which includes the 400ft whether the guidelines be from the AMA or the FAA.

2. People that choose to follow no community guidelines do not qualify for FAA regulatory exemption under 336 and are therefore subject to the full set of FAA sUAS regulator rules, which include the 400ft rule.

So in either case, you're not going over 400ft legally.
NO. What I said earlier is that there is no 400' limit in the AMA Safety Code.

Good thing it's not up to you. You admit no mistakes and claim your interpretation is gospel. How do you come up with the statement that FAA guidelines are now community guidelines?

It's not an interpretation. I'm merely reading what is written is very plain, very clear English.

Good thing you are not the inter

So how can the FAA make this rule if by Congressional law they are not allowed to regulate hobby fliers of model aircraft?

Because if they didn't or couldn't, then anyone under the guise of flying model aircrafts could fly in restricted airspace according to your logic.

Reactions: AyeYo
Because if they didn't or couldn't, then anyone under the guise of flying model aircrafts could fly in restricted airspace according to your logic.
No. Restricted airspace is allowed to be controlled by the FAA under law.

Reactions: sacballa
If you read my post, the fly for fun reference was made of the FAA, not 336

The same FAA who you claim has no authority outside of enforcement of public law? There's some laughably contradictory circular logic.

Seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing? ;)

But that's not controlling the restricted space, that's controlling the "fly for fun" people. You should answer his earlier question. Are all the listed "guidelines" on the FAA's site optional?

That is what I thought as well. Why would the AMA rules apply to people who are not a member of the AMA? I would also love to see if someone from the AMA would actually post a response as well to either confirm or debunk this.
The AMA establishes rules to be followed by model airplane/heli pilots in order to maintain member safety and cover them for liability. That's the main reason most hobbyists join. I've been a member of the AMA since 2000. Back in the good ole days you couldn't just step out your front door, drop a quad on the sidewalk and take off. You had to go to the flying field, which was almost always maintained by a club, which almost always required AMA membership. By establishing universal rules to follow, clubs nationwide were all on the same page as to what was appropriate and what was not, as well as keeping pilots from shooting down each others' planes back when we only had 60 or so channels. And it worked for decades. All AMA pilots are covered for $1 million liability if they are flying within the constraints of the AMA guidelines.

Reactions: sacballa
But that's not controlling the restricted space, that's controlling the "fly for fun" people. You should answer his earlier question. Are all the listed "guidelines" on the FAA's site optional?
I already answered that.

Well I am going to choose to stay below the 400 feet, because I don't want the FAA to by chance catch me and cite me. If you want to fly over 400 feet because you think you are legal to do so, be my guest.

The AMA establishes rules to be followed by model airplane/heli pilots in order to maintain member safety and cover them for liability. That's the main reason most hobbyists join. I've been a member of the AMA since 2000. Back in the good ole days you couldn't just step out your front door, drop a quad on the sidewalk and take off. You had to go to the flying field, which was almost always maintained by a club, which almost always required AMA membership. By establishing universal rules to follow, clubs nationwide were all on the same page as to what was appropriate and what was not, as well as keeping pilots from shooting down each others' planes back when we only had 60 or so channels. And it worked for decades. All AMA pilots are covered for $1 million liability if they are flying within the constraints of the AMA guidelines.

I don't think you answered the question. Are people who are not members bound by the AMA rules as strafe would like to think?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52