DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over Niagara Falls

tca

Reactions
What are the Laws /Rules for flying around / over Niagara Falls?

Have you seen the post here from the guy that did it and the FAA commented about it on his youtube video?

No....I never saw that post ....do you have the link to it?

What are the Laws /Rules for flying around / over Niagara Falls?

Generally....DON'T DO IT !!

That is very congested airspace with Niagara Falls airport on one side, Canadian airspace on the other, and tour helicopters all over. If you do take it upon yourself to fly there, you need to stay low and always be scanning the sky. Better yet, make sure you have one or two visual observers.

Legally what applies for recreational flight is:
  • Do NOT fly on the Canadian side. That applies to Canadian land or the Canadian side of the river. Strictly prohibited.
    Canadian Niagara Falls Regulations
  • On the USA side, you cannot fly from any New York State Park. Note that the land lining the river above and below the falls is all NY State Park. To be totally precise you cannot take off or land from within the State Park. Technically you could take off from outside the State Park but then you would not be able to keep your craft within VLOS, stay low enough (i.e. 100 feet or so) to avoid helicopters, and still get any good view of the falls.
  • Being that the best view of either the Horseshoe Falls or the American Falls is from the Canadian side of the border, it really sin't feasible.
  • Check out the airspace on AirMap
Sad but there really is not any good, legal, and safe way to get those great aerial shots.

Reactions: Elude and Prophet
No
Do not do it!!!!!!

Last edited:
I wonder why they always use the term near miss when near miss is actually a collision? Near collision is the correct term. Sorry it's just a pet peeve of mine.
I am pretty sure Niagara would not be a place I would fly over.

I wonder why they always use the term near miss when near miss is actually a collision? Near collision is the correct term. Sorry it's just a pet peeve of mine.
I am pretty sure Niagara would not be a place I would fly over.

Unfortunately that's not correctly pedantic. It's called a near miss because because it is a "miss between two aircraft that were near each other", not because it is "nearly a miss".

Reactions: PhantomFandom
So a near collision would be what? two aircrafts that were near each other and collided? No near collision is nearly collided but in fact did miss each other and a near miss is nearly missed but in fact collided.

I think I need William Barr to clarify if there was in fact collision :)

Reactions: navegabem
So a near collision would be what? two aircrafts that were near each other and collided? No near collision is nearly collided but in fact did miss each other and a near miss is nearly missed but in fact collided.

I think I need William Barr to clarify if there was in fact collision :)

I was not commenting on the term "near collision" – I was pointing out that you have misconstrued the meaning of the term "near" in "near miss". It doesn't mean "nearly" (which is a different word entirely), it means "close".

But if you want an opinion on "near collision" then I'd say you have made the same mistake. Near (close) and nearly (almost) have different meanings.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980